Author Topic: 76ers best record in nba- did doc turn the ship?  (Read 2462 times)

76ers best record in nba- did doc turn the ship?
« on: January 04, 2021, 06:13:27 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
5-1 I think they are

Doc seems to have unlocked Tobias Harris. Embiiid looks better all around. Seth curry looks like a legit starting guard. Trading horford was addition by subtraction.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 06:53:22 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: 76ers best record in nba- did doc turn the ship?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 06:19:39 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
They haven’t played any top 10 team yet. They started last year in similar fashion but were bad. I agree that Doc is bette than Brown so that’s a positive for them.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 07:08:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I mean Brown was an idiot so I’m not surprised to see some life in them to start the season. I don’t think they last this strong.

I’ll keep saying what I’ve said all along. Brown was brought the the 76ers to lose during their process tank years. They literally hired him to lose as many games as possible. Then they got good and they kept him around for some reason. His culture was built around losing and they needed a change 3 years ago.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 07:14:01 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
It’s early..if Simmons or Embiid go down, they are done..plus I really don’t see them as a top 3 team in the East
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 09:22:47 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
they'll always be one injury away from mediocrity.

if they stay healthy they'll be good
but i think thats a big if

also - regular season guys like seth curry and shake milton can play. playoffs may see that disappear.

i dont want doc to win :)

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 10:26:48 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
The Sixers quietly made sneaky good moves. The additions of Danny Green and Seth Curry were key for that team and I think their style of play fits PHI very well. Think about that 2018 Sixers team, which had Embiid and Simmons surrounded by shooters and some defenders. I feel the Sixers have that again this season, and if Tobias Harris can play consistently well they're legit contenders.

With that said, as the case in previous years I still think Philly's bench is a bit thin and yeah, 1 or 2 injuries can affect them. But Morey is aggressive and I imagine he'll be able to add another piece (or two) before the trade deadline if needed for the bench.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 11:45:22 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I mean Brown was an idiot so I’m not surprised to see some life in them to start the season. I don’t think they last this strong.

I’ll keep saying what I’ve said all along. Brown was brought the the 76ers to lose during their process tank years. They literally hired him to lose as many games as possible. Then they got good and they kept him around for some reason. His culture was built around losing and they needed a change 3 years ago.
Brown coached the Sixers to two 50+ win seasons in 2018 and 2019.  Their first 50 win seasons since 2001 and their first back-to-back 50+ win seasons since 1986.  I think they needed to replace Brown after last season but he was a pretty good coach.  They got lucky Doc became available.  Their fundamental problem was ownership chickening out on the process and replacing Hinkie with Colangelo.  Even after Colangelo was fired, the Sixers kept a bunch of his cronies in management.  They got lucky again with Morey becoming available. 

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 11:47:13 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tobias Harris is underrated IMO.  He is their 3rd best player, and is significantly better than our 3rd best player (Smart or knee-plagued Kemba).

It will be interesting to see how we match up vs Philly once we are back to full strength. A lot will ride on the health of Kemba. If he can't return to full strength, I feel Philly will have the edge.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 11:51:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
best record in a six game sample doesn't mean much.

many teams are 5-2.

the sixers are better by virtue of putting guys on the floor next to simmons and embiid who can actually shoot and play off the ball.

i don't know what impact doc has had.  not saying he hasn't had any, but putting shooters next to simmons and embiid has been the obvious move for years.

i will remain skeptical of the sixers until simmons can prove he can create, take, and make shots in crunch time against a good defensive opponent and Embiid proves he can play at an elite level outside of the first 5-6 minutes of each half.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 11:54:17 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
The Sixers quietly made sneaky good moves. The additions of Danny Green and Seth Curry were key for that team and I think their style of play fits PHI very well. Think about that 2018 Sixers team, which had Embiid and Simmons surrounded by shooters and some defenders. I feel the Sixers have that again this season, and if Tobias Harris can play consistently well they're legit contenders.

With that said, as the case in previous years I still think Philly's bench is a bit thin and yeah, 1 or 2 injuries can affect them. But Morey is aggressive and I imagine he'll be able to add another piece (or two) before the trade deadline if needed for the bench.
1 or 2 injuries can affect any team.  Hayward, Kemba ... 

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 12:10:01 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think Philly will be more “cohesive” this year as the pieces they have “fit” better. The added shooting has helped open up the floor and they will be good defensively. That being said, they still have the same open questions as they did last year regarding their half court offense and they have also been beating up on the dredges of the league so far. Good for them for doing what they need to do but will be curious to see how they respond when they start playing better competition/defenses.

To me, they basically remind me of the 76 teams pre-Butler. The lack of a go to scorer/creator I think will come back and rear its ugly head at some point.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 12:35:53 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think Philly will be more “cohesive” this year as the pieces they have “fit” better. The added shooting has helped open up the floor and they will be good defensively. That being said, they still have the same open questions as they did last year regarding their half court offense and they have also been beating up on the dredges of the league so far. Good for them for doing what they need to do but will be curious to see how they respond when they start playing better competition/defenses.

To me, they basically remind me of the 76 teams pre-Butler. The lack of a go to scorer/creator I think will come back and rear its ugly head at some point.
Embiid is an excellent go-to scorer, he's just a subpar creator who can't generate efficient team offence consistently unless he's in a 4 out system ala '94- '95 Hakeem/'09 Dwight.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA