Author Topic: recent Clippers teams as possible rotation model  (Read 2564 times)

recent Clippers teams as possible rotation model
« on: December 01, 2020, 12:42:59 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Looking at the Cs current roster and projecting the starting lineup ( with and without Kemba) gave me an idea of how the Cs maybe able to best utilize Teague and Thompson.

The clippers have had success keeping both Lou Williams and Harrell as high minutes bench players. Last season Harrell came off the bench for 61 of the 63 games he played for 28mpg and averaged 18.6pts, Williams came off the bench for 57 of the 65 games he played for 29mpg and averaged 18.2ppg. With those two players their second unit had a very clear identity and direction.

I do not expect Teague and Thompson to come any where near 40ppg combined but to a lesser extent think they could play a similar role.

When healthy I can see the Cs doing something like the following

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

In those roles I can see Teague and Thompson combining for around 24ppg

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: recent Clippers teams as possible rotation model
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Looking at the Cs current roster and projecting the starting lineup ( with and without Kemba) gave me an idea of how the Cs maybe able to best utilize Teague and Thompson.

The clippers have had success keeping both Lou Williams and Harrell as high minutes bench players. Last season Harrell came off the bench for 61 of the 63 games he played for 28mpg and averaged 18.6pts, Williams came off the bench for 57 of the 65 games he played for 29mpg and averaged 18.2ppg. With those two players their second unit had a very clear identity and direction.

I do not expect Teague and Thompson to come any where near 40ppg combined but to a lesser extent think they could play a similar role.

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

When was Robert Williams cut? I didn't get the memo.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 12:58:37 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

Replace Semi with Time Lord at a minimum.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 01:12:07 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

I'm not sure where his minutes come from, Theis played to well last season to expect or justify cutting his minutes to much. Thompson is at least a 20mpg Center. I even went as fare to project the rotation with 0 center minutes going to Grant Williams.

The best case scenario for Robert Williams is Thompson or Theis misses some time, R Williams plays well, and makes Theis tradable for wing help at the deadline. Theis being a FA makes him the logical player to move.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 02:18:35 PM »

Online michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

I think you are more likely looking at this...remember, These are averages, and Kemba and others will be load managed/injured, so averages can and will be over 48m/position.

PG Kemba 26   teague 20   smart 6
SG Brown16   Smart 24    Kemba 4  Nesmith  4  langford 4
SF Tatum 14     Brown 18    Smart 4   Semi 4 Nesmith  6  langford  6 
PF Tatum 20 Theis 12   GW 12  Semi 6
C Theis 14  TT 26  RW3 10

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

I don't understand how people treat him like an afterthought. I view Robert Williams as one of the most important guys on the roster, because he has shown as one of the few projects on this roster that he has the talent to become a starter in the NBA.

Next year Theis may walk as a free agent (every year some team will overpay for our free agent, doubt this time will be any different). And then it's between Robert Williams and Thompson who starts at center, so he needs to be ready then.
To accomplish that Timelord has to play 1000+ minutes this season.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 06:24:20 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

I don't understand how people treat him like an afterthought. I view Robert Williams as one of the most important guys on the roster, because he has shown as one of the few projects on this roster that he has the talent to become a starter in the NBA.

Next year Theis may walk as a free agent (every year some team will overpay for our free agent, doubt this time will be any different). And then it's between Robert Williams and Thompson who starts at center, so he needs to be ready then.
Timelord may not get his $3.5M option for next season being picked up. I think there is a very serious internal debate whether it’s worth having him on the roster next year at that money. Dwight signed for half as much and he still has some elite skills.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 07:51:02 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

Timelord may not get his $3.5M option for next season being picked up. I think there is a very serious internal debate whether it’s worth having him on the roster next year at that money. Dwight signed for half as much and he still has some elite skills.

I'm sorry, but that may be the dumbest thing I've read today. That would be even more ridiculous than the Lakers when they send Ivica Zubac to the Clippers at the trade deadline for 265 minutes of game play of Mike Muscala (expiring), when they missed the playoffs in LeBron's first year in Lakerland.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 08:04:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

I’ll bet you 10 Tommy Points it will get picked up. Easy money.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 08:24:58 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

I'm sorry, but that may be the dumbest thing I've read today. That would be even more ridiculous than the Lakers when they send Ivica Zubac to the Clippers at the trade deadline for 265 minutes of game play of Mike Muscala (expiring), when they missed the playoffs in LeBron's first year in Lakerland.
Me and you will love that type of a dumb move if it is followed by a title next season just like the lakers did.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 08:26:07 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

I’ll bet you 10 Tommy Points it will get picked up. Easy money.
Im not a betting man I said it’s not a lock to happen. Should have been picked by now if it was a lock.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 08:57:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This site has a long tradition of discussing the rotation of the team and people always go to putting minutes down as part of that. Of course, then some people complain about posts saying, well you have no time built in for player so and so.

Thing is, missed games due to injury or rest and blowouts happen. Getting sat for matchup purposes happen. They happen all the time. So does foul trouble. And so players are always going to find minutes that would be beyond the rigid calculation of the rotational minute breakdown given by posters.

Just look at last year. Theis averaged 24 MPG. Kanter 17. Timelord 13.5. That's 54.5 minutes of center play in a 48 minute game and doesn't even account for the MPG that Grant put in at center.

Yes, ideally, everyone is healthy all year. The Celtics won't ever get in foul trouble. And the games will be close enough that Theis and Thompson both average 24 MPG and so Timelord gets zero minutes. But we know that's not going to happen.

Timelord will get minutes this year even though it looks like Theis and Thompson will gobble up all those minutes. And when he does if he excels, he'll get even more minutes. I think Timelord is the best athlete with the most talent out of our centers. He just has to go out and develop that talent to the fullest and when he gets the chance, and he will, he has to shine. He does that and he'll force his way into the rotation and get even bigger minutes.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 09:18:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
you lost me at 'the Clippers have had success'.

The Clippers have NEVER made it to the conference finals, NEVER!!!

Please for the sake of respect for the Boston Celtics lock this thread, or at least change the title. Are the Cs now in Clipper territory? Really?

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Start
Kemba 28mpg
Smart   33mpg
Brown  34mpg
Tatum  34mpg
Thieis  22mpg

Bench
Thompson 26mpg
Teague 23mpg
Grant 15mpg
Nesmith/Langford 15mpg
Semi 10mpg

I agree that Theis is likely lost as a FA, I would add that trading Theis at the deadline seems like a real possibility. Thompson is under contract for two years and if he is proving to be a good fit the Cs may be better off long term to move Theis for a pick they can use with the TPE next off-season. This would then open up minutes for R Williams or the possibility of bringing in a short term vet for the second half of the season and playoffs.

With the current roster when everyone is healthy its really hard to project minutes for  R Will, Theis started and played really well last season. I cant see BS playing him less then 20mpg, Thompson is in his prime and used to playing around 30mpg, and Grant proved effective as a small ball 5 and will likely play that role in spot minutes. Neither Theis, Thompson, or R Will has shown the skill set to along side one another and I cant see BS combining them except in extreme defensive specific spot minute situations.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 09:23:05 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
you lost me at 'the Clippers have had success'.

The Clippers have NEVER made it to the conference finals, NEVER!!!

Please for the sake of respect for the Boston Celtics lock this thread, or at least change the title. Are the Cs now in Clipper territory? Really?

The Clippers won 68% of their regular season games last year playing a starting caliber PG and Center significant bench minutes behind a starting lineup anchored by two elite wings and an all defensive 1st team level guard. I do not think Teague and Thompson are on the same level as Williams and Harrell but it is possible to see them used in a similar manner. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet