38 (56.7%)
C - not much improvement from last season
8 (11.9%)
D - miscalculation/losing Hayward for basically nothing
11 (16.4%)
F - fire Danny
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Grade Danny offseason moves (poll)  (Read 7483 times)

Re: Grade Danny offseason moves (poll)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I’m really happy we made the deal for a Thompson. I love the fit for us. But I’m wary of Brad knows how to use him or will not play him enough. Not his style of center. But I love that we got him.

TT has quite the resume but also is a good pro.  Good teammate, works hard, underrated IQ, leadership.  He will listen to Stevens and not complain unlike Kyrie

There are aspects where TT is not an idea fit under CBS (stretch skills).  But there is a fit also, due to PNR/rolling to the basket weapon.  Alley hoops and in stress situations, dump down low and let him go to work.  He has a very effective baby hook and 8ft floater.  On defense,  he is an ideal big for Stevens.  Versatile.  But also can block shots and rebound. Last season averaged 10 rpg.   Finally Celts won't be easily outmuscled on the interior +  grab some clutch offensive rebounds/putbacks.
    I’m not worried about him listening to Brad. I don’t think Brad communicates well to the players on offense . I think Tristan will get the respect of the players. If Brad can’t get guys to stop taking bad shots with a timeout, I think Tristan can be that calming force. They’ll listen to him. He’s not out to get his. I’m pumped about this.
  Let’s get a little mean. We got a legit tough guy now. I’m over the moon.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I gave him a C. If the Celtics get anything out of Charlotte maybe that creeps up to a B.

I think Thompson is a really nice pickup. Teague and Nesmith are just what the bench needed. The team isn't necessarily better but if the youngsters continue to improve and the pieces fit better, that could be a big source of improvement that gets them over the top.

And I think fit might be big. This team makes a lot of sense to me right now. Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Thompson starting. Teague, Langford, Nesmith, Grant, Theis as a second unit. Everyone's role feels pretty clear to me. The bench shuffles depending on how ready Timelord, Pritchard, Waters are. It'd be nice to have a more reliable wing off the bench but that can still happen.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The truth is to be found in more advanced scouting and knowing the real time opportunities, which we don't get to see.

It feels like a C- from my seat as a fan.

I think 4 questions will decide our season:

Can Teague can still play but just was stuck in a bad situation last year? If he's what he was a couple of years ago, he'll help a lot.

Can Kemba be 90% of what he was last year, and know how to play that way?

Can Langford become a quality rotation player?

Can Nesmith contribute bench shooting they need, and play OK defense?

If those things come up positive, we have a shot. We'll be a little tougher and deeper up front with our bigs, which we needed, but again I think Ainge probably had an opportunity to score a young big but wouldn't spend the assets.

I'm really confident in Tatum and Brown doing the hard parts.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 03:13:17 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I like the Thompson addition, but if we're being real, the roster didn't get better. Sure, if Thompson is healthy in the playoffs, that is better than Hayward not healthy in the playoffs; but it's pretty unlikely that Hayward will just continue to miss playoff runs moving forward (well, CHA likely won't make the playoffs, but you know what I mean).

I would grade Danny a C right now - he's doing what he can, but we shouldn't all be feeling particularly psyched unless Danny is able to get that TPE and then make a move to bring in another real threat. Turner was probably a better asset, but as a player for this team, I am satisfied with TT - especially at two years and his contract.

if the Celts had a healthy Hayward, would that have made enough difference to get past the HEAT in the ECF?

Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Smart, Walker  vs  HEAT/Bam

I still think the Celts lose in 6

With TT,  Celts have a much better fighting chance. Sure BAM is still a pain and has the edge on TT.  But TT is stronger than him,  would not let him get inside position to grab offensive rebounds/2nd chances/putbacks.  This hurt the Celts/demoralizing

I really do. I was shocked that the Celtics couldn’t even go to the foul line be the zone do many times. A healthy Hayward would have picked that apart in my opinion. I’m just in awe at how much trouble that gave us. Did we ever prepare vs a zone? I hope we do moving forward.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I would say it is a solid B.  Draft wasn't bad, and picking up TT and JeffT after things really seemed to be drying up in FA seems like a good result.
Hard to give him more than that because even with TT and JeffT we still have holes in our roster.

can you expand?

a wing off the bench that can score that isn't a rookie
(I don't consider langford much of a scoring threat yet)

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I - incomplete. Things aren't over yet.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 03:38:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like the Thompson addition, but if we're being real, the roster didn't get better. Sure, if Thompson is healthy in the playoffs, that is better than Hayward not healthy in the playoffs; but it's pretty unlikely that Hayward will just continue to miss playoff runs moving forward (well, CHA likely won't make the playoffs, but you know what I mean).

I would grade Danny a C right now - he's doing what he can, but we shouldn't all be feeling particularly psyched unless Danny is able to get that TPE and then make a move to bring in another real threat. Turner was probably a better asset, but as a player for this team, I am satisfied with TT - especially at two years and his contract.

if the Celts had a healthy Hayward, would that have made enough difference to get past the HEAT in the ECF?

Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Smart, Walker  vs  HEAT/Bam

I still think the Celts lose in 6

With TT,  Celts have a much better fighting chance. Sure BAM is still a pain and has the edge on TT.  But TT is stronger than him,  would not let him get inside position to grab offensive rebounds/2nd chances/putbacks.  This hurt the Celts/demoralizing

We literally lost in 6 w/o (or w/ a very a hobbled) Hayward. This includes two heartbreakers in games 1 and 2. I think we pretty clearly win in 6 rather than lose, and then go on to have a competitive Finals match-up.

Our team can't catch a break. With the multiple Hayward injuries, not being able to trade for AD in season because of the Rose Rule, not being able to re-sign Kyrie (when he actually liked us) because his previous contract was signed before the cap spike. Thank the heavens Danny chose right on Tatum and Brown. Everything Danny does looks amazing, and then because of forces beyond his control, they crumble down around him. And then he somehow manages to put it all back together again. It would be amazing to have some actual luck moving forward.

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 03:46:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
D.  Blunder after blunder this off season redeemed only slightly with the Thompson and Teague additions
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 03:52:03 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I give him a D.

The draft was completely underwhelming. We draft a kid who can’t play defense and had one good year of shooting (people just want to forget about the year prior to him shooting 52% from 3). And a 4 year college player who works hard. And Candy (my nickname for draft and stash dude) is a wasted pick. To be fair I wasn’t expecting much out of the draft with where we were picking.

Just zero creativity in the ensuing moves and I’m tired of not going for it with the unpopular move to consolidate assets for something potentially special.

In 17 years we’ve won one championship and this isn’t good enough for this collection of talents, collection of assets and our franchise history of consistent winning.

I’m tired of the “Tortoise beats the Hare” approach that both ownership and Ainge seem to be cool with.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 03:55:06 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Does Danny view our team as contenders this season ?
That was the lamest excuse from last year for not bringing in help at the deadline

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Does Danny view our team as contenders this season ?
That was the lamest excuse from last year for not bringing in help at the deadline

I do

Team went to ecf last season. A few pieces/depth short

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 04:12:57 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Good not ideal, but he isnt done yet either.

Hayward really screwed him and us over alot.

Could have probably had wood or boggy with a tpe. But no.

Last seasons playoff team was.

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Smart
Theis
Kanter
Wannamaker
Timelord
Grant w

This years team will be
Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Smart
Theis
Nesmith
Teague
Pritchard
Thompson
Thimelord

Basically has changed
Kanter - Thompson
Wannamaker- teague
Semi-nesmith
Edwards - pritchard

That is a large improvement, very large, to spots 6-10 in the rotation

Still probably grab a vet pf too.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2020, 04:22:48 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
  I’m really happy we made the deal for a Thompson. I love the fit for us. But I’m wary of Brad knows how to use him or will not play him enough. Not his style of center. But I love that we got him.

TT has quite the resume but also is a good pro.  Good teammate, works hard, underrated IQ, leadership.  He will listen to Stevens and not complain unlike Kyrie

There are aspects where TT is not an idea fit under CBS (stretch skills).  But there is a fit also, due to PNR/rolling to the basket weapon.  Alley hoops and in stress situations, dump down low and let him go to work.  He has a very effective baby hook and 8ft floater.  On defense,  he is an ideal big for Stevens.  Versatile.  But also can block shots and rebound. Last season averaged 10 rpg.   Finally Celts won't be easily outmuscled on the interior +  grab some clutch offensive rebounds/putbacks.
    I’m not worried about him listening to Brad. I don’t think Brad communicates well to the players on offense . I think Tristan will get the respect of the players. If Brad can’t get guys to stop taking bad shots with a timeout, I think Tristan can be that calming force. They’ll listen to him. He’s not out to get his. I’m pumped about this.
  Let’s get a little mean. We got a legit tough guy now. I’m over the moon.

Players taking bad shots is a sign they haven't been given specific roles. The players on Auerbach's teams  always knew their roles--precisely.  The teams were tailored for balance.
And they passed religiously for the best shot.

This team is at its worst when 4 or 5 guys are on the perimeter bombing--and missing 3s. Whose fault is that? Most of their losses are when the team is shooting below 30% 3s.
Poor shot selection?

Stevens may be a great x and o guy, but I don't see a lot of team discipline and consistency. And he doesn't seem to have that Belichick touch of making corrections in the 2nd half.

Ainge made good enough improvements for the team to get better this season. But other teams improved, too. It will depend on whether they can get stronger inside on defense.
That will mean more Thompson and Williams, and less Theis.  Will Stevens make this adjustment?

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 04:45:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
If he snag another project like Saric , let cbs sprinkle his magic basketball dust on his head ....make him believe in himself again ,  might not be too bad of drop off in talent from last year.  That one draft rookie looks NBA body like he is ready to tangle NOW .  Plus Im hoping GWill and Timelord become more polished .   ....Kemba can stay healthy , C's will still be a tuff out any night. Oh , I liked Langfords defense , long kid and quick , messed up alot of opposition inside play and a decent nose for rebounds and ok handle .  If he can ever get healthy ,  he has skills.

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 06:13:59 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If he snag another project like Saric , let cbs sprinkle his magic basketball dust on his head ....make him believe in himself again ,  might not be too bad of drop off in talent from last year.  That one draft rookie looks NBA body like he is ready to tangle NOW .  Plus Im hoping GWill and Timelord become more polished .   ....Kemba can stay healthy , C's will still be a tuff out any night. Oh , I liked Langfords defense , long kid and quick , messed up alot of opposition inside play and a decent nose for rebounds and ok handle .  If he can ever get healthy ,  he has skills.
Saric

Marc Stein ➐
@TheSteinLime
·
4m
The Boston Celtics and free-agent forward Dario Saric said to have reached a "strong agreement" on joining forces for the upcoming season, league sources say

The deal offered, I’m told, is three-year offer sheet worth $67 million. More info will be given in the next few hours.

Posted  by Sydney Sun  on Nov 22, 2020 | 4:10 PM