Author Topic: The Playoff 8  (Read 1817 times)

The Playoff 8
« on: November 23, 2020, 09:04:24 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Roster depth is important for the regular season. Depth can be the difference between winning or loosing close games and it prevent excessive wear and tear on the teams top players. Having a player like Kemba who will likely require load management makes it even more important.

However for the playoffs teams typically pull back their rotations to 8 players

With Hayward out last playoffs the Celtics where not able to keep a consistant 8 but it was roughly

1 Kemba
2 SMart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5 Theis
6 Wannamaker
7 G Williams
8 Kanter/R Will/ Semi

With the Celtics new roster construction the ultimate goal needs to be having a playoff 8 that's superior to the 8 listed above

1 Kemba
2 Smart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5 Theis
6. Thompson
7. Teague
8. G Williams

I feel that over all the 20-21 playoff 8 is superior to the 19-20.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: The Playoff 8
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 09:12:59 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Roster depth is important for the regular season. Depth can be the difference between winning or loosing close games and it prevent excessive wear and tear on the teams top players. Having a player like Kemba who will likely require load management makes it even more important.

With Hayward out last playoffs the Celtics where not able to keep a consistant 8 but it was roughly

1 Kemba
2 SMart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5 Theis
6 Wannamaker
7 G Williams
8 Kanter/R Will/ Semi

With the Celtics new roster construction the ultimate goal needs to be having a playoff 8 that's superior to the 8 listed above

1 Kemba
2 Smart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5 Theis
6. Thompson
7. Teague
8. G Williams

There is a strong chance that Nesmith leaps someone there too.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 09:16:50 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I still think we need another veteran wing who can score and ideally create for others.  I suppose this could wait until the trade deadline.  We could wait and see what Romeo and Nesmith can do, but I’d be surprised if either are the answer at this point in their careers.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 09:19:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

1 Kemba
2 SMart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5 Theis
6 Wannamaker
7 G Williams
8 Kanter/R Will/ Semi

1 Kemba
2 Smart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5 Theis
6. Thompson
7. Teague
8. G Williams

based on the idea that Hayward played so little in the playoffs and was pretty much less than 100% when he did play, I can see where comparing the shortened rotations would lend itself to being a bit more optimistic this time around but I think it depends on a few things:
1. are the C's good enough during the regular season to get the third seed or are they now looking at a lower seed because they don't have a fairly healthy Hayward to win regular season games like last year.  The team does seem deeper a bit this year by a little but we have one less player that could play at an all-star level so I have to see us as weaker overall
2. Do Thompson and Teague have enough left in their tanks to still be effective players not to mention be effective in Brad's offensive/defensive schemes. 
3. can the younger players contribute more effectively than they did last year.  GWill became much more effective once he was finally hitting outside shots.  he looks like he can be a solid rotation player for us this coming year.  Timelord looked better when he was healthy enough to play.  question is can he stay healthy all year and also improve his play -- particularly his team defense.  Can Romeo just plain stay healthy?  he showed he can be a good defender.  can he stay healthy to get time to show he can be a scorer as well?  Can Nesmith and Pritchard show they're good enough to deserve minutes?

I do have concerns with moving Smart to the starting line-up in Hayward's place.  I think he's far more effective off the bench to start the game.  Can Teague step right in and provide some decent scoring when he subs in for Kemba?  I'm sure he can run point as well as Kemba but how much of a dip in scoring will this team have if 2 of Kemba, Brown and Tatum are on the bench?  No Hayward means one less established scorer on the team that can get their own shots as well as create for others which is something we really needed.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I still think we need another veteran wing who can score and ideally create for others.  I suppose this could wait until the trade deadline.  We could wait and see what Romeo and Nesmith can do, but I’d be surprised if either are the answer at this point in their careers.

Exactly on both adjectives, veteran and wing.  All we have left to spend is the vet min unless we somehow get something from Charlotte.  I don't think Langford or Nesmith are going to be quite ready this season for "first wing off the bench" in playoff setting.  If we end up with at least a decent TPE, there will be opportunities along to way to trade for someone for this role (assuming we aren't able to fill with a Vet min contract).

The OP notes that we have depth upgrades at PG and Big which is true but we will be asking more of Marcus.  Filling that wing depth position with a decent reliable player (say a wing version of Teague), that will help a lot.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 10:33:57 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Developing drafted players is critical to success. Wonder why Miami popped like that? Playing Fantasy League and signing people can work, but you start with zero-sum propositions and it is tough to get that lucky.

We need a few players to grow into rotation guys. The Williams's. Langford and Nesmith.  We need a couple of those to become useful playoff players.

I actually think Langford could evolve into a starter quality guy if he can stay healthy.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 10:35:12 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Exactly on both adjectives, veteran and wing.  All we have left to spend is the vet min unless we somehow get something from Charlotte.  I don't think Langford or Nesmith are going to be quite ready this season for "first wing off the bench" in playoff setting.  If we end up with at least a decent TPE, there will be opportunities along to way to trade for someone for this role (assuming we aren't able to fill with a Vet min contract).

The OP notes that we have depth upgrades at PG and Big which is true but we will be asking more of Marcus.  Filling that wing depth position with a decent reliable player (say a wing version of Teague), that will help a lot.

I suspect DA leaves Stevens with Nesmith, Langford and Semi to start the season. Then if needed explore the trade market for additional wing help.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 10:47:49 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

1 Kemba
2 SMart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5 Theis
6 Wannamaker
7 G Williams
8 Kanter/R Will/ Semi

1 Kemba
2 Smart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5 Theis
6. Thompson
7. Teague
8. G Williams

based on the idea that Hayward played so little in the playoffs and was pretty much less than 100% when he did play, I can see where comparing the shortened rotations would lend itself to being a bit more optimistic this time around but I think it depends on a few things:
1. are the C's good enough during the regular season to get the third seed or are they now looking at a lower seed because they don't have a fairly healthy Hayward to win regular season games like last year.  The team does seem deeper a bit this year by a little but we have one less player that could play at an all-star level so I have to see us as weaker overall
2. Do Thompson and Teague have enough left in their tanks to still be effective players not to mention be effective in Brad's offensive/defensive schemes. 
3. can the younger players contribute more effectively than they did last year.  GWill became much more effective once he was finally hitting outside shots.  he looks like he can be a solid rotation player for us this coming year.  Timelord looked better when he was healthy enough to play.  question is can he stay healthy all year and also improve his play -- particularly his team defense.  Can Romeo just plain stay healthy?  he showed he can be a good defender.  can he stay healthy to get time to show he can be a scorer as well?  Can Nesmith and Pritchard show they're good enough to deserve minutes?

I do have concerns with moving Smart to the starting line-up in Hayward's place.  I think he's far more effective off the bench to start the game.  Can Teague step right in and provide some decent scoring when he subs in for Kemba?  I'm sure he can run point as well as Kemba but how much of a dip in scoring will this team have if 2 of Kemba, Brown and Tatum are on the bench?  No Hayward means one less established scorer on the team that can get their own shots as well as create for others which is something we really needed.

1. With out Hayward and with Kemba needing to get/stay healthy I think the 3rd seed will be tough to come by

2. Thompson shouldn't have any issues with having enough in his tank. He is only 29 and with Theis on the roster I suspect he plays at most 25mpg. Teague does worry me a little but is coming off a season where prior to the ATL trade he played 34 games and 28mpg for Minn. In a reduced role he should be very effective for the Cs.

3. The young guys are the wild cards. I have little doubt Grant will contribute and may even start if he is shooting the 3 consistantly. Semi, Nesmith, and Langford should all have a shot to earn backup wing minutes right out of camp. Pritchard will get opportunities on Kemba rest days. Robert Williams is my big question mark, I am pessimistic but if he shows that he is ready to contribute then Theis becomes a trad able asset. With Thompson on the books for two years if R Williams plays well enough to be his backup then Theis as much as it hurts me needs to be moved and not just lost to free agency.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 10:58:45 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm hoping by playoffs it is
1. Tatum
2. Brown
3. Walker
4. Smart
5. Nesmith
6. Theis
7. Thompson

8a. Pritchard next guard.
8b. GW next big.

Hope Nesmith is "the real deal" and Pritchard is better than Teague.

Last year
Hayward I had tied at 3 with Kemba so if he played it's a much better squad than this year. (1. Tatum, 2. Brown, 4. Smart). Also had GW and Kanter tied with Wana behind them. So if you dont add Hayward and brought in Thompson who leaps Kanter it's better this year.

Any one concerned the upper talent has still dropped for the second year after losing Hayward? No upgrade 1-6

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 11:04:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

1 Kemba
2 SMart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5 Theis
6 Wannamaker
7 G Williams
8 Kanter/R Will/ Semi

1 Kemba
2 Smart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5 Theis
6. Thompson
7. Teague
8. G Williams

Imo, depending on the series

1 Kemba
2 Smart
3 Brown
4 Tatum
5. Thompson
6. Langford/Nesmith
7. Teague/Pritchard
8. G Williams/Theis/Timelord

Spot up min
9. Ojeleye