38 (56.7%)
C - not much improvement from last season
8 (11.9%)
D - miscalculation/losing Hayward for basically nothing
11 (16.4%)
F - fire Danny
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Grade Danny offseason moves (poll)  (Read 7486 times)

Grade Danny offseason moves (poll)
« on: November 22, 2020, 02:32:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
OUT
- Hayward
- Wannamaker
- Kanter
- Poirier

IN
- Thompson
- Teague
- Nesmith
- Pritchard

Some folks are hoping for one more splash.  But likely Danny is done imo. Wyc done spending. 

Only moves left is to lock up/extend Tatum.  Maybe a minor signing/trade. 

C-  TT, Theis, Timelord, Fall
F- Tatum, Grant Williams, Nesmith
F- Brown,  Nesmith/Langford, Ojeleye
G- Smart,  Langford, Pritchard, Edwards
G- Walker, Teague/Pritchard, Waters

How do we feel?

Re: Grade Danny offseason moves
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 02:36:23 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I'd give him a B+

Thompson is worth more to the Celtics than all the players who exited put together.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 02:36:51 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I would think a 3 and D wing like Justin Holiday makes so much sense. Why is he never mentioned?  Am I missing something on this guy or is he out of our range? 31 yrs old. Great defensive team player. Great at the corner 3. 

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would think a 3 and D wing like Justin Holiday makes so much sense. Why is he never mentioned?  Am I missing something on this guy or is he out of our range? 31 yrs old. Great defensive team player. Great at the corner 3.

Pacers already signed him to a deal a few days ago.  So he is unavailable

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

Pacers already signed him to a deal a few days ago.  So he is unavailable
   Oh shoot. I was really hoping to nab him but not sure if was possible. Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 02:39:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'd give him a B+

Thompson is worth more to the Celtics than all the players who exited put together.

TT is huge.  Pleasant surprise signing

Re: Grade Danny offseason moves (poll)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 02:40:55 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  I’m really happy we made the deal for a Thompson. I love the fit for us. But I’m wary of Brad knows how to use him or will not play him enough. Not his style of center. But I love that we got him.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 02:50:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  I’m really happy we made the deal for a Thompson. I love the fit for us. But I’m wary of Brad knows how to use him or will not play him enough. Not his style of center. But I love that we got him.

TT has quite the resume but also is a good pro.  Good teammate, works hard, underrated IQ, leadership.  He will listen to Stevens and not complain unlike Kyrie

There are aspects where TT is not an idea fit under CBS (stretch skills).  But there is a fit also, due to PNR/rolling to the basket weapon.  Alley hoops and in stress situations, dump down low and let him go to work.  He has a very effective baby hook and 8ft floater.  On defense,  he is an ideal big for Stevens.  Versatile.  But also can block shots and rebound. Last season averaged 10 rpg.   Finally Celts won't be easily outmuscled on the interior +  grab some clutch offensive rebounds/putbacks.   

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 02:51:08 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm pretty happy overall.  I think it would have been nice to get value back in return for Haywards, but in exchange we got salary flexibility.

If we had traded Hayward for say Myles Turner and Doug McDermott that ties up an additional 61.3m cap dollars in those two players.

Meanwhile Thompson only costs 19m over 2 years and Teague gets league minimum for around 2.5m.

Thompson is a substantial upgrade over Kanter and Teague is also an upgrade over Wanamaker.

So for about 1/3 the cap commitment we upgrade at C and PG.  Compared to Turner and McDermott are they that much bigger an upgrade for our roster?

When you consider finances, Thompson and Teague make a lot more sense.

The only drawback to not going for the Turner trade is that the Celtics lack any relatively big contracts (~20m)  to trade for star players in the future.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like the Thompson addition, but if we're being real, the roster didn't get better. Sure, if Thompson is healthy in the playoffs, that is better than Hayward not healthy in the playoffs; but it's pretty unlikely that Hayward will just continue to miss playoff runs moving forward (well, CHA likely won't make the playoffs, but you know what I mean).

I would grade Danny a C right now - he's doing what he can, but we shouldn't all be feeling particularly psyched unless Danny is able to get that TPE and then make a move to bring in another real threat. Turner was probably a better asset, but as a player for this team, I am satisfied with TT - especially at two years and his contract.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 02:55:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
B- if we don’t get the TPE, B+ if we do

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 02:55:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I’d also say B+ for right now, though that could change (upwards) depending upon what else happens, particularly with any S&T with Hayward.

I think Danny was put into a no-win situation with Hayward. Hayward was clearly looking for more than we were prepared to offer (taking that option off the table), and I firmly believe that Indy wasn’t prepared to get close enough to convince him to go there for that much less, taking that S&T off the table. Beyond that, though, I don’t think Danny likes the fit of Turner with our group at that money, which limited S&T options even further as Indy was not likely to give what we needed.

Regarding the other moves, I *love* the signings of both TT and Teague, and I think they’ve been really underrated for our needs. I also like our draft, especially Nesmith, as he looks like he’ll fill a big need of shooting off our bench. The other thing I like about these moves is that it doesn’t come at the expense of developing our other young talent. Tatum and Brown are going to have even more opportunity to shine now, and Timelord, Romeo, and Nesmith will have plenty of available playing time for development, while we’re still a contender in my mind.

All in all, I think we’re better and more well-rounded going into this year than we were last year, and our books are a lot cleaner now. Hopefully Kemba’s knee is not an ongoing concern and our young guys continue to develop. If so, I think we’re in that tier 1 group right up there with Milwaukee and Miami in the East.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 03:02:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I like the Thompson addition, but if we're being real, the roster didn't get better. Sure, if Thompson is healthy in the playoffs, that is better than Hayward not healthy in the playoffs; but it's pretty unlikely that Hayward will just continue to miss playoff runs moving forward (well, CHA likely won't make the playoffs, but you know what I mean).

I would grade Danny a C right now - he's doing what he can, but we shouldn't all be feeling particularly psyched unless Danny is able to get that TPE and then make a move to bring in another real threat. Turner was probably a better asset, but as a player for this team, I am satisfied with TT - especially at two years and his contract.

if the Celts had a healthy Hayward, would that have made enough difference to get past the HEAT in the ECF?

Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Smart, Walker  vs  HEAT/Bam

I still think the Celts lose in 6

With TT,  Celts have a much better fighting chance. Sure BAM is still a pain and has the edge on TT.  But TT is stronger than him,  would not let him get inside position to grab offensive rebounds/2nd chances/putbacks.  This hurt the Celts/demoralizing

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 03:06:15 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I would say it is a solid B.  Draft wasn't bad, and picking up TT and JeffT after things really seemed to be drying up in FA seems like a good result.
Hard to give him more than that because even with TT and JeffT we still have holes in our roster.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 03:07:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would say it is a solid B.  Draft wasn't bad, and picking up TT and JeffT after things really seemed to be drying up in FA seems like a good result.
Hard to give him more than that because even with TT and JeffT we still have holes in our roster.

can you expand?