Author Topic: Danny fined $25K for the "towel incident"  (Read 11731 times)

Danny fined $25K for the "towel incident"
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Per Marc Spears' Twitter : "celtics prez ainge fined $25k for throwing towel up as a distraction during GM2 vs CLE"

The NBA fined Ainge for "creating an unauthorized distraction and for conduct detrimental to the game."

::) This is ridiculous, but the NBA is taking the word to some unexpected degrees...

Edit : Here is the full story (per Chris Forsberg) :

The NBA fined Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge $25,000 for throwing a towel in attempt to distract a Cleveland shooter during Boston's Game 2 triumph Monday at Quicken Loans Arena.

With 1:53 remaining in the third quarter, Ainge tossed a white towel in the air from the baseline beyond one hoop attempting to distract Cleveland's J.J. Hickson as he shot the second of two free throws with Boston on top, 80-57.

Hickson missed the first free throw after Ainge simply made a motion near his seat behind the basket. Hickson made the second free throw when Ainge tossed the towel skyward.

On Wednesday, Ainge expressed regret for the incident and noted he expected to be fined by the league after the attention drew in the media.

"I regret that. That was very unprofessional," Ainge said during an interview on Boston sports radio station WEEI. "I was having fun with the hecklers and the crowd that was sitting around me. ... There's just no excuse. It was unprofessional. I regret doing it. The biggest reason I regret it is you guys should be talking about the great play of the Celtics and not talking about a towel incident. I'm shocked that it's become this big a deal."

"Usually when things become public like this you do hear from the league. I don't think David Stern cares about a towel that was thrown, but because it's become such a public story I'm sure there will be something. I'd like to give my charitable contributions to those of my own choice, but I am confident the league does well with our money."

Earlier Wednesday, Celtics coach Doc Rivers and his players simply laughed off the incident.

"Comical," said Rivers. "I didn't know about it, honestly. I was up in my bedroom doing my work and my cell phone kept ringing, over and over again. ... When I saw it, I got a good laugh and giggle out of it. Danny's going back to his playing days. It's pretty comical."

Ainge did his best to antagonize opponents throughout his 15-year NBA career, which included stops in Boston, Sacramento, Portland, and Phoenix. Atlanta's Tree Rollins once got so mad at Ainge that he bit him. As a coach, Ainge once punted a ball into the crowd after being ejected in 1999, and one of his own players, Robert Horry, once drew a two-game suspension for throwing -- ironically -- a towel at Ainge in 1997.

"That was interesting to see that happen during the flow of the game, from Danny Ainge," Mike Brown told reporters Tuesday in Cleveland. "If it's within the rules, hey, at this time, you do whatever you can to win. As long as it's within the rules."

Evidently it wasn't within the rules.

Ainge hasn't been directly fined by the league since Feb. 10, 1999, when he was the head coach of the Phoenix Suns. The NBA docked him $3,000 for kicking a basketball into the stands after being ejected from a game against the Sacramento Kings.

Ironically, Phoenix suspended Robert Horry for two games without pay for throwing a towel at Ainge after he was pulled from a game against Boston in 1997.

The Celtics were fined $30,000 in March of 2007 for excessive contact with the family of then Texas underclassmen Kevin Durant, after Ainge sat next to Durant's mother at the Big 12 tournament.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:40:00 PM by Drucci »

Re: Danny fined $25K for the "towel incident"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am not sure if its worth $25 thousand, but it was certainly innapropriate of Ainge to do that, and a bit embarassing for the league and the C's...so I can't really blame them for this one.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
25k is absurd. He was expecting a fine, but still. I don't think a fine fits the crime in this situation.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:23:13 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
That's extremely harsh.  Yeah, it was wrong to do it, but that was not worth $25,000.  A small fine and a talking to would have done the trick. This is ridiculous.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Don't know how I feel about this.  Fans are allowed to do this.  I understand Ainge works for the Celtics, but it's kind of foolish in my opinion to fine him.
do it

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 12:24:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
What did the NBA ultimately cite as the infraction? The all-encompassing "Conduct detrimental to the league" or something like that?

So stupid...

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Here is the full story (per Chris Forsberg) :

The NBA fined Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge $25,000 for throwing a towel in attempt to distract a Cleveland shooter during Boston's Game 2 triumph Monday at Quicken Loans Arena.

With 1:53 remaining in the third quarter, Ainge tossed a white towel in the air from the baseline beyond one hoop attempting to distract Cleveland's J.J. Hickson as he shot the second of two free throws with Boston on top, 80-57.

Hickson missed the first free throw after Ainge simply made a motion near his seat behind the basket. Hickson made the second free throw when Ainge tossed the towel skyward.

On Wednesday, Ainge expressed regret for the incident and noted he expected to be fined by the league after the attention drew in the media.

"I regret that. That was very unprofessional," Ainge said during an interview on Boston sports radio station WEEI. "I was having fun with the hecklers and the crowd that was sitting around me. ... There's just no excuse. It was unprofessional. I regret doing it. The biggest reason I regret it is you guys should be talking about the great play of the Celtics and not talking about a towel incident. I'm shocked that it's become this big a deal."

"Usually when things become public like this you do hear from the league. I don't think David Stern cares about a towel that was thrown, but because it's become such a public story I'm sure there will be something. I'd like to give my charitable contributions to those of my own choice, but I am confident the league does well with our money."

Earlier Wednesday, Celtics coach Doc Rivers and his players simply laughed off the incident.

"Comical," said Rivers. "I didn't know about it, honestly. I was up in my bedroom doing my work and my cell phone kept ringing, over and over again. ... When I saw it, I got a good laugh and giggle out of it. Danny's going back to his playing days. It's pretty comical."

Ainge did his best to antagonize opponents throughout his 15-year NBA career, which included stops in Boston, Sacramento, Portland, and Phoenix. Atlanta's Tree Rollins once got so mad at Ainge that he bit him. As a coach, Ainge once punted a ball into the crowd after being ejected in 1999, and one of his own players, Robert Horry, once drew a two-game suspension for throwing -- ironically -- a towel at Ainge in 1997.

"That was interesting to see that happen during the flow of the game, from Danny Ainge," Mike Brown told reporters Tuesday in Cleveland. "If it's within the rules, hey, at this time, you do whatever you can to win. As long as it's within the rules."

Evidently it wasn't within the rules.

Ainge hasn't been directly fined by the league since Feb. 10, 1999, when he was the head coach of the Phoenix Suns. The NBA docked him $3,000 for kicking a basketball into the stands after being ejected from a game against the Sacramento Kings.

Ironically, Phoenix suspended Robert Horry for two games without pay for throwing a towel at Ainge after he was pulled from a game against Boston in 1997.

The Celtics were fined $30,000 in March of 2007 for excessive contact with the family of then Texas underclassmen Kevin Durant, after Ainge sat next to Durant's mother at the Big 12 tournament.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I am confused as to what rule he broke that warrants such a fine. Is this just being called conduct unbecoming of a GM or some nonsense?

Devil Stern needs to relax with his fines. If ever a group of people deserved to be publicly scrutinized it's NBA refs.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Don't know how I feel about this.  Fans are allowed to do this.  I understand Ainge works for the Celtics, but it's kind of foolish in my opinion to fine him.
I kind of agree with you.  GM's and owners don't have to be at the games like the coaching staff.  He was kind of there as a fan and he reacted like a fan.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am confused as to what rule he broke that warrants such a fine. Is this just being called conduct unbecoming of a GM or some nonsense?

Devil Stern needs to relax with his fines. If ever a group of people deserved to be publicly scrutinized it's NBA refs.

He embarrassed himself, his team, and the league.  I think that is what it is based on.  If they allow that, it sets a bad precedent for what they allow from other team employees/owners.  And you KNOW Mark Cuban would be making a huge stink.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I love how Danny got a $3000 fine in '99 for drop kicking a ball into the stands and gets $25,000 for tossing a towel 9 ft in the air in the stands.  

The NBA...where "Huh?" happens.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 12:30:50 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I'm glad the fine came.  Now it's done and over with and we can concentrate on the game tomorrow.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 12:39:33 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald

Apparently, they fined him for "creating an unauthorized distraction and for conduct detrimental to the game."

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 12:42:05 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Apparently, they fined him for "creating an unauthorized distraction and for conduct detrimental to the game."

I'd like to see some of these teams' DJ's get fined for all the [dang] distractions they create with their music and sound effects over the PA system.  Some of it is done on purpose to distract or put down the other team. 

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 12:43:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Much ado about nothing, he deserved a fine for it but I like that our GM gets so into the games that he'll act like he's still a player.