Author Topic: "If Doc goes I'll retire"  (Read 7266 times)

Re: "If Doc goes I'll retire"
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 03:28:11 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
After seeing Doc and Paul's reactions after they won the championship last year, I absolutely believe it. They've been through so many ups and downs together. It wouldn't surprise me to see that they are close off the court.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 03:33:27 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
The mutual respect and friendships of this team is one of the things I love about this team. Doc and Pierce look like they have a really great bond. I think I remember Pierce saying they even have the same birthday in the post-game 4 press conference.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Shaq says this type of stuff all the time.

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 07:09:01 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
When Pierce says the team has to get the rookies involved because otherwise he'll get tired everyone believes him. When Pierce says that he would retire rather than play for any other coach, no one believes him.

I'll just never understand why people just don't take what oher people say at face value anymore. There's always a lie being told or some untruth or some hidden meaning.

Why is it so easy to think Pierce is telling the truth and not being misleading when he says he wasn't drinking in Vegas or that he thinks he's the best basketball player in the world but that he is not being truthful about the fact that he would retire rather than play for any other coach?

Is it because everyone knows for sure what and how Pierce thinks(which I severely doubt)or is it because you people just don't think that Doc is the type of coach that could illicitsuch loyalty and devotion in his players? Is because everyone can read Pierce so well that they always knows when he is being truthful and when he is not(again, I severely doubt this as well) or is it possibly some perceived bias about Doc?

Just wondering, not accusing anyone of anything. I just think we have no reason not to take Pierce's words at face value. He's played over 10 years in the league. He's been a multi-time All Star. He's been a World Champion and could be a two time champ. He's made obscenely large amounts of cash. Why is it so hard to believe that when this contract comes to an end if Doc leaves or is forced away that Pierce won't simply be happy with everything the way it went and call it a Hall of Fame career?

So, nick, if Doc retired this season, you think Pierce will leave tens of millions of dollars on the table and give up the chance to win more championships and add on to his Hall of Fame credentials?  I certainly don't.

I think people treat different statements in different ways because in some situations people are more candid than other.  When Pierce says he's tired, he has nothing to gain by lying about it.  When he says he'd never play for another coach, I think the degree of candor is less.  At the very least, there's more reason to be skeptical.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 07:10:48 PM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think retire is a bit strong. Maybe 'not enjoy playing' but actually retire? no.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Why would Pierce say such a foolish thing?

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 07:56:19 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
When Pierce says the team has to get the rookies involved because otherwise he'll get tired everyone believes him. When Pierce says that he would retire rather than play for any other coach, no one believes him.

I'll just never understand why people just don't take what oher people say at face value anymore. There's always a lie being told or some untruth or some hidden meaning.

Why is it so easy to think Pierce is telling the truth and not being misleading when he says he wasn't drinking in Vegas or that he thinks he's the best basketball player in the world but that he is not being truthful about the fact that he would retire rather than play for any other coach?

Is it because everyone knows for sure what and how Pierce thinks(which I severely doubt)or is it because you people just don't think that Doc is the type of coach that could illicitsuch loyalty and devotion in his players? Is because everyone can read Pierce so well that they always knows when he is being truthful and when he is not(again, I severely doubt this as well) or is it possibly some perceived bias about Doc?

Just wondering, not accusing anyone of anything. I just think we have no reason not to take Pierce's words at face value. He's played over 10 years in the league. He's been a multi-time All Star. He's been a World Champion and could be a two time champ. He's made obscenely large amounts of cash. Why is it so hard to believe that when this contract comes to an end if Doc leaves or is forced away that Pierce won't simply be happy with everything the way it went and call it a Hall of Fame career?

So, nick, if Doc retired this season, you think Pierce will leave tens of millions of dollars on the table and give up the chance to win more championships and add on to his Hall of Fame credentials?  I certainly don't.

I think people treat different statements in different ways because in some situations people are more candid than other.  When Pierce says he's tired, he has nothing to gain by lying about it.  When he says he'd never play for another coach, I think the degree of candor is less.  At the very least, there's more reason to be skeptical.

Why do you prefer skeptical over sceptical?

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 07:56:28 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Well, but Doc retiring this season isn't exactly a realistic scenario. I think Pierce meant it but in the sense of "if Doc retires after the final season of his extension, I'll follow him".

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 12:19:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Well, but Doc retiring this season isn't exactly a realistic scenario. I think Pierce meant it but in the sense of "if Doc retires after the final season of his extension, I'll follow him".
That's the way I see it. It's pretty much a given that Doc has his job until the end of his contract which just so happens to coincide with Pierce's. The chances of Doc retiring or being forced to leave, especially if they win it all this year are next to none. yet people are jumping to the conclusion that Doc will somehow be gone before fulfilling his contractual obligation.

So again, I ask, are people thinking Doc isn't going to fulfill his contractual obligations because they really would like to see that happen because of a bias against Doc or do they really feel that Pierce is just not being forthright?

If the Celtics win it all this year I think there is zero chance that Doc gets fired or retires. If they don't win it I think the same thing holds. If Danny isn't going to fire Doc after a 22 win season with an 18 game losing streak, he isn't going to fire him simply because they don't win it all. And Doc's to competitive to walk away from coaching the Big Three as long as they have a chance to win it all.

So again, I don't see the reason to be skeptical about the comment because the likelihood of Doc not being around until the end of Pierce's contract is as good as Pierce retiring jsut because he's sick of playing basketball. I think the whole ordeal centers around people's bias of Doc as a coach and not believing that Pierce would actually thave so much respect for the man as a coach to make a statement.

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i think its to send a message about if you fire Doc ever, or don't pick up his extension...

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 02:41:39 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Y'all are taking an off the cuff statement in a post game interview literally? There's only a few ways to end saying something like "if they get rid of Doc I'll...". He almost said leave but then he changed his mind and said retire, he stuttered, it was a figure of speech. I'm sure Timmy D would say that about Pop, Kobe might even say it about Phil right now, it means nothing. It's only foolish to the people dwelling on it.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 07:31:42 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

That's the way I see it. It's pretty much a given that Doc has his job until the end of his contract which just so happens to coincide with Pierce's. The chances of Doc retiring or being forced to leave, especially if they win it all this year are next to none. yet people are jumping to the conclusion that Doc will somehow be gone before fulfilling his contractual obligation.

So again, I ask, are people thinking Doc isn't going to fulfill his contractual obligations because they really would like to see that happen because of a bias against Doc or do they really feel that Pierce is just not being forthright?

If the Celtics win it all this year I think there is zero chance that Doc gets fired or retires. If they don't win it I think the same thing holds. If Danny isn't going to fire Doc after a 22 win season with an 18 game losing streak, he isn't going to fire him simply because they don't win it all. And Doc's to competitive to walk away from coaching the Big Three as long as they have a chance to win it all.

So again, I don't see the reason to be skeptical about the comment because the likelihood of Doc not being around until the end of Pierce's contract is as good as Pierce retiring jsut because he's sick of playing basketball. I think the whole ordeal centers around people's bias of Doc as a coach and not believing that Pierce would actually thave so much respect for the man as a coach to make a statement.

Aren't you reading into Pierce's words, and not taking them at face value?  What if Doc retired to spend more time with his family after this season?  What if another team offered Doc a ton more money, and the team didn't match?  What if there was some sort of personal tragedy?  Also, when you talk about Doc being "too competitive", aren't you conjecturing and assuming, much like you suggested others shouldn't be doing in regard to Pierce's words?

Now, you're putting qualifiers on Pierce's words.  That's the same, to me, as people being skeptical about the original comment.

Of course, I don't have a problem with any of that.  People judge other people's words against their own experience and perception of what is likely all the time.  Some people didn't think Pierce's words have a whole lot of meaning, other than them being a nice sentiment directed towards his coach.  They mean nothing, and I'm personally of the sentiment that if push came to shove, Pierce would choose to keep his tens of millions of dollars and attempt to further cement his NBA legacy.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 07:37:39 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Hasn't Doc signed a 3 years extension just a few months ago? Why would he retire and how could any team offer him more money? I agree with your point in theory, but I don't think those scenarios are realistic at all, Roy.

I believe Pierce meant "if Doc leaves by 2012, I'll go with him".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:46:02 AM by cordobes »

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How much am I truly reading into it?

Look at it this way. If I was in Aruba on a two week vacation and on the first day said "If it gets  cool and rainy for a couple days, I'm going home". Do I mean it? Yes. But what is the likelihood of it being cool and rainy in Aruba? It's next to nothing.

It's very similar here. Pierce means what he says. He's paying a compliment Doc's way. To believe him is to believe in Pierce's compliment. To not believe him by drumming up extremely unlikely scenarioes, IMO, says that the person interpretting what Pierce said doesn't have a lot of confidence in Doc because that person has a hard time finding it credible that Pierce would put his loyalty and respect for Doc above all else. 

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 09:55:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
How much am I truly reading into it?

Look at it this way. If I was in Aruba on a two week vacation and on the first day said "If it gets  cool and rainy for a couple days, I'm going home". Do I mean it? Yes. But what is the likelihood of it being cool and rainy in Aruba? It's next to nothing.

It's very similar here. Pierce means what he says. He's paying a compliment Doc's way. To believe him is to believe in Pierce's compliment. To not believe him by drumming up extremely unlikely scenarioes, IMO, says that the person interpretting what Pierce said doesn't have a lot of confidence in Doc because that person has a hard time finding it credible that Pierce would put his loyalty and respect for Doc above all else. 

Of course Pierce was playing Doc a compliment, and that's how it should be taken.

However, I think that if Doc left before Pierce was ready to retire, Pierce would make the exact same decision that Shaquille O'Neal made.  Pierce is too competitive to allow somebody else to dictate his fate.

I don't think people not 100% buying Pierce's sentiment are bashing Doc at all, or don't have faith in him.  Rather, those people understand the reality that very few professional athletes are going to retire until they're good and ready.  They're unlikely to leave money, fame, and prestige on the table because another man wants to retire.