Author Topic: "If Doc goes I'll retire"  (Read 7267 times)

"If Doc goes I'll retire"
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:47:33 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

Re: "If Doc goes I'll retire"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think this time around Pierce is not telling the truth, especially with Garnett and Allen in there.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 01:50:50 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's a nice sentiment, but I don't buy it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 01:50:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think this time around Pierce is not telling the truth, especially with Garnett and Allen in there.

Yeah, I don't see him ging up about $40 million or so. I don't think he likes Doc THAT much

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think he is talking down the road, I believe Doc is tied up for a bit.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 02:00:19 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Yeah, I don't see him ging up about $40 million or so. I don't think he likes Doc THAT much

Doc's tied up through the end of paul's deal and he's got as much job security as you can in this league. I don't think paul really went out on a limb here.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I think it was a bit of hyperbole from Pierce to express his commitment to Doc, that's all.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 02:05:53 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Personally, I can see them both retiring at the same time, a la Pop/Duncan. It wouldn't surprise me a bit.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
It's a nice sentiment, but I don't buy it.

Me either. As long as Danny brings in a players coach with a little knowledge and great assistants, things will be fine with the veterans.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When Pierce says the team has to get the rookies involved because otherwise he'll get tired everyone believes him. When Pierce says that he would retire rather than play for any other coach, no one believes him.

I'll just never understand why people just don't take what oher people say at face value anymore. There's always a lie being told or some untruth or some hidden meaning.

Why is it so easy to think Pierce is telling the truth and not being misleading when he says he wasn't drinking in Vegas or that he thinks he's the best basketball player in the world but that he is not being truthful about the fact that he would retire rather than play for any other coach?

Is it because everyone knows for sure what and how Pierce thinks(which I severely doubt)or is it because you people just don't think that Doc is the type of coach that could illicitsuch loyalty and devotion in his players? Is because everyone can read Pierce so well that they always knows when he is being truthful and when he is not(again, I severely doubt this as well) or is it possibly some perceived bias about Doc?

Just wondering, not accusing anyone of anything. I just think we have no reason not to take Pierce's words at face value. He's played over 10 years in the league. He's been a multi-time All Star. He's been a World Champion and could be a two time champ. He's made obscenely large amounts of cash. Why is it so hard to believe that when this contract comes to an end if Doc leaves or is forced away that Pierce won't simply be happy with everything the way it went and call it a Hall of Fame career?

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 02:50:40 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I Believe he does feel this way actually why else would he say it?  but if it came down to it, no he would not retire if doc was fired tommorow,
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 02:57:15 PM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 02:54:44 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I completely buy it. he's the only coach that he's won a title with, and he's a fun player's coach who will ask his players what they think and what they should do. i totally buy this.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 02:57:56 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
This is called "Hugging it Out".  ;D

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 03:05:30 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Why can't people just take the statement for what it is?  A showing by Pierce that he really likes having Doc as his coach.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 03:20:34 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
When Pierce says the team has to get the rookies involved because otherwise he'll get tired everyone believes him. When Pierce says that he would retire rather than play for any other coach, no one believes him.

I'll just never understand why people just don't take what oher people say at face value anymore. There's always a lie being told or some untruth or some hidden meaning.

Why is it so easy to think Pierce is telling the truth and not being misleading when he says he wasn't drinking in Vegas or that he thinks he's the best basketball player in the world but that he is not being truthful about the fact that he would retire rather than play for any other coach?

Is it because everyone knows for sure what and how Pierce thinks(which I severely doubt)or is it because you people just don't think that Doc is the type of coach that could illicitsuch loyalty and devotion in his players? Is because everyone can read Pierce so well that they always knows when he is being truthful and when he is not(again, I severely doubt this as well) or is it possibly some perceived bias about Doc?

Just wondering, not accusing anyone of anything. I just think we have no reason not to take Pierce's words at face value. He's played over 10 years in the league. He's been a multi-time All Star. He's been a World Champion and could be a two time champ. He's made obscenely large amounts of cash. Why is it so hard to believe that when this contract comes to an end if Doc leaves or is forced away that Pierce won't simply be happy with everything the way it went and call it a Hall of Fame career?

Generally, I agree with you -- I really have a pet peeve about people thinking they know another's 'true' intentions.  

There is so much cynacism abounding in this media driven age -- people make firm presumptions based on nothing but a commitment to an irrational belief that public figures are always hiding something or are being deceptive in some way. It's true that sometimes public figures lie, sometimes they deceive -- but not always.  If you choose to take public pronouncements at face value you are quickly characterized as naive and your opinion is thus devalued.  

None of us know the depth of the veracity of Pierce's comments. But I choose to accept that this is simply the way Pierce feels now -- it is his honest truth at this moment and I believe him.  Like everything in life, things change in time, and were Doc to announce his returement in 2 weeks or 2 years from now, Pierce would assess his circumstances at that moment and perhaps draw a different conclusion.  This isn't lying, deception or lack of candor -- it's just the human condition. He is stating his loyalty and he means what he is saying, which doesn't mean he has to be bound by these words as time moves on and contexts change.