Author Topic: Report: Smith wanted Boston  (Read 39126 times)

Re: Report: Smith wanted Boston
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Cordobes, you have yet to show me any scenario of how things would play out in that having Skinner (instead of POB) over Moore would put us in a position to get Smith. You have done ZERO in that regard. All you're doing is talking. Show me.

Having Skinner over POB would allow us to, and I'm paraphrasing Doc, take the gamble of waiting for Smith - and, at least, have a chance of signing him (or Drew Gooden).

If you disagree with the previous statement, I'd like to know why.

-----

Having Skinner over POB downside, worst case scenario:
- you enter the playoffs with Skinner in your roster - with the advantage that he played an entire season with the team and had a training camp.

upside:
- you sign Joe Smith or Drew Gooden. At least you make them an offer and hope them to bite it.

-----

Current situation:
- you signed Moore, who's barely better than Skinner, if better at all, and didn't even had the chance of spending the season with the team. You weren't even able to gamble on Smith or Gooden.

Is Skinner any better than Davis, or even as good? Is he someone who brings more length to the team? His best years seem to be in his past. While POB didn't work out (not necessarily an unforseen event) at least he had a small chance of filling a position of need. All I see Skinner doing is duplicating Glen.

He adds depth, just like Moore. He's also a vastly superior shot-blocker and a better defender, especially versus bigger centers.

I really can't understand your attraction with length. Length in itself is useless. The thing is that generally more length implies better rebounding, better defense on taller players, more shots altered, more shot-blocks, etc. But there are exceptions to that - Moore being one of them. Who cares if he has 2 more inches at the top of his head than Skinner if he isn't able to use that additional flesh to, say, rebound more?

Even if people prefer Moore to Skinner due to the better jumper, I don't really think anyone can argue there's a big difference among them.

I don't have an attraction to length. But that's what was mentioned by Danny and Doc and by many on this board as the reason to go out and get another player. People are concerned about BBD playing against bigger players. Moore might not be the answer but neither is Skinner. Skinner adds depth but adds very little that Davis doesn't and I don't think having him on the roster would add enough of anything that we still wouldn't have been looking for another player.

« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Skinner adds depth but adds very little that Davis doesn't and I don't think having him on the roster would add enough of anything that we still wouldn't have been looking for another player.

Skinner adds a defensive shot-blocking presence that Davis doesn't have.

Moore I can't see what he adds besides depth. If Skinner wouldn't be the answer to play against bigger players, neither is Moore.

In the end, they're very similar players. Foolish not to sign the one who was available to go to the training camp.

« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Skinner adds depth but adds very little that Davis doesn't and I don't think having him on the roster would add enough of anything that we still wouldn't have been looking for another player.

Moore I can't see what he adds besides depth. If Skinner wouldn't be the answer to play against bigger players, neither is Moore.

In the end, they're very similar players. Foolish not to sign the one who was available to go to the training camp.

While I agree that Skinner would be a decent guy to have, I think that Moore absolutely adds something to this team more than depth. 

The problem with Davis isn't that he doesn't block shots, its that he doesn't have the length to bother certain players shots.  Even though Moore doesn't block many shots either, he does bother them. 

I think that Davis and Powe (especially Davis if he continues playing the way he has over the last 2 months) will be getting the majority of the backup big man minutes, and I think they will give you in many ways more than what we got from PJ last year.  The only thing the C's really needed was another option who had the length to deal with longer, athletic players who give Powe and Davis problems (Odom is probably the best example).

Davis has shown that he can do an excellent job on big, strong guys, by throwing his weight around, and not allowing them to get position in the post.  But he has struggled against guys like Odom (Josh Smith is another example).  Moore will be able to give those guys problems, and that is really all they need.

« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2009, 01:04:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Skinner's defensive numbers (and the rebounding of his counterpart) are really bad. I don't think he was the answer, and I'll bet that almost everyone who complained about POB would have complained about Skinner.

« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

While I agree that Skinner would be a decent guy to have, I think that Moore absolutely adds something to this team more than depth. 

The problem with Davis isn't that he doesn't block shots, its that he doesn't have the length to bother certain players shots.  Even though Moore doesn't block many shots either, he does bother them. 

I think that Davis and Powe (especially Davis if he continues playing the way he has over the last 2 months) will be getting the majority of the backup big man minutes, and I think they will give you in many ways more than what we got from PJ last year.  The only thing the C's really needed was another option who had the length to deal with longer, athletic players who give Powe and Davis problems (Odom is probably the best example).

Davis has shown that he can do an excellent job on big, strong guys, by throwing his weight around, and not allowing them to get position in the post.  But he has struggled against guys like Odom (Josh Smith is another example).  Moore will be able to give those guys problems, and that is really all they need.

Moore on Odom? He won't have a chance, Odom (or Smith) will just put the ball on the floor and break him down (Moore will probably foul out after 6 defensive possessions). Davis is more quick-footed than Moore.

« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Skinner's defensive numbers (and the rebounding of his counterpart) are really bad. I don't think he was the answer, and I'll bet that almost everyone who complained about POB would have complained about Skinner.

Moore's numbers are also bad, no?

I also don't think he was "the answer". He would be as much "the answer" as Moore is.

« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2009, 01:48:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I also don't think he was "the answer". He would be as much "the answer" as Moore is.

But you were comfortable enough to go into the playoffs with Skinner. Now he's not "the answer", and probably wouldn't be seeing much of the floor right now.

« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

But you were comfortable enough to go into the playoffs with Skinner. Now he's not "the answer", and probably wouldn't be seeing much of the floor right now.

As comfortable as I'm going into the playoffs with Moore. Maybe a little more because he'd have been with the team the entire season and because he's better defending taller, bigger centers and can rebound and block shots better, but just a little bit, nothing significant. That's what I've been saying from the beginning.

« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2009, 02:00:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think your whole debate is moot because come playoff time it will be BBD playing the backup center position. As limited as he is, he's still a much better option than Moore or Skinner against Big Z, Dwight Howard, Sam Dalembert, Kwame Brown, Jermaine O'Neal, Francisco Elson and the like that the Celtics will end up facing in the playoffs. Besides with hisa jumper falling he spreads the floor and gives the C's a better offensive option than either of those two guys as well.

« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2009, 02:05:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
BBD will get the bulk of back up minutes at the 4 or 5.  He has earned them. His only deficiency is defending the quicker 4's, and big 5's who can post up well. On offense, he has trouble going back up to score following offensive rebounds. He needs to kick it out, rather than try to score, where he inevitably gets blocked.

But no one can match BBD's hustle and heart. If he keeps giving us the outside shot, I will take my chances.

« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I think your whole debate is moot because come playoff time it will be BBD playing the backup center position. As limited as he is, he's still a much better option than Moore or Skinner against Big Z, Dwight Howard, Sam Dalembert, Kwame Brown, Jermaine O'Neal, Francisco Elson and the like that the Celtics will end up facing in the playoffs.

Well, that's exactly what I've been saying: they both add depth and little or nothing more.

« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2009, 02:20:48 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I think your whole debate is moot because come playoff time it will be BBD playing the backup center position. As limited as he is, he's still a much better option than Moore or Skinner against Big Z, Dwight Howard, Sam Dalembert, Kwame Brown, Jermaine O'Neal, Francisco Elson and the like that the Celtics will end up facing in the playoffs.

Well, that's exactly what I've been saying: they both add depth and little or nothing more.

yeah, that's the whole reason to have waited on Smith...

« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

yeah, that's the whole reason to have waited on Smith...
Actually, against the players I named, I still rather have Baby playing against them. Smith is more of a PF and would have problems against those bigger guys.