Author Topic: Report: Smith wanted Boston  (Read 39104 times)

Report: Smith wanted Boston
« on: March 02, 2009, 09:20:33 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/01/gooden.smith/index.html?rss=true

according to Aldridge, Smith wanted to come here...

However, the Celtics -- the team that Smith most wanted to play for this season -- have dropped out of the bidding after signing veteran big man Mikki Moore last week, according to the source. Moore had been released by Sacramento after the Kings had acquired several players -- including, ironically, Gooden, who came from the Bulls in a trade that sent guard John Salmons and center Brad Miller to Chicago for Gooden and forward Andres Nocioni.

"Boston's out of it," the source said.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:05:06 PM by winsomme »

Re: Smith wanted Boston
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:23:10 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
HUGE mistake, then.  I'll trust Aldridge's sources; he's solid.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Sorry if I missed it, but has Smith already signed elsewhere?
If not, why not sign him too? Who cares about Mikki Moore? Just cut him, or Pruitt, or Marbury(sorry, but I'm serious).

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:28:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If this is true, which given some of the reporting in the sports world recently, I'm not sure we can be 100% sure it is, then it is a mistake if Danny drops from the running. He should offer the LLE to him and let him know that's all there is. Cut Pruitt and have Smith and Moore on the team. If the LLE isn't enough then what's the point. We wouldn't have had enough cash to compete for his services anyway.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Well, there was that story a week ago or so that he did indeed want  to come to Boston...I dont know if thats what Aldridge is basing it on, I still dont know if im buying it...If he really wanted to come here, wouldnt his agent tell ainge? why wasnt he getting bought out when we were clearly looking for a big man? and why is he bothering to get bought now, once we have signed Moore?
If Joe smith wanted to come here, its just as much his fault for not being more upfront about it from the get go, he kinda just sat  around and said "I dunno, im happy with the thunder and dont want to get bought out"

If he really wants to come here, get him here..otherwise this is Bull
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:29:38 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
haste makes waste...

danny should have waited...i'd rather have done nothing than signed mikki moore.

would we have complained here?  sure...but at the same time we see gooden and smith as options and that's a sickening thought to think all we did was sign a lanky guy with weird hair.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 09:31:51 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well, there was that story a week ago or so that he did indeed want  to come to Boston...I dont know if thats what Aldridge is basing it on, I still dont know if im buying it...If he really wanted to come here, wouldnt his agent tell ainge? why wasnt he getting bought out when we were clearly looking for a big man? and why is he bothering to get bought now, once we have signed Moore?
If Joe smith wanted to come here, its just as much his fault for not being more upfront about it from the get go, he kinda just sat  around and said "I dunno"

There's the very distinct possibility that Moore *chose* to sign Moore over Smith.  Why are you blaming Smith?  How do you know his agent didn't telegraph his interest?  (Direct conversations, of course, would be prohibited as tampering.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 09:31:56 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
If not, why not sign him too? Who cares about Mikki Moore? Just cut him, or Pruitt, or Marbury(sorry, but I'm serious).

you can't do it....I'm sorry. I want another Title as much as the next guy, but once you start d-ing over players, you're headed in the wrong direction.

Moore had many suitors and was promised a role here. I'm not down with that.

If anything, they should have re-released him before the deadline so he could go elsewhere. Still looks shady, but at least Moore would have some choices...

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 09:35:18 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
HUGE mistake, then.  I'll trust Aldridge's sources; he's solid.

I'm not sure how "solid" Aldridge is.  Did you read his article after the trade deadline.  He seemed extremely full of himself in talking about the GM's who didn't return his calls until after the deadline was over.  In that same article, he singled out the Celtics as being one of the teams borrowing money from the league.  My guess is, Ainge was one of GM's that didn't bother to return his call.

Now this doesn't mean Aldridge is lying.  But I would consider him a little less than credible in this situation.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 09:35:41 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
If Joe smith wanted to come here, its just as much his fault for not being more upfront about it from the get go, he kinda just sat  around and said "I dunno, im happy with the thunder and dont want to get bought out"

to me, the most logical explanation is that Danny did not want to risk the Smith buyout not happening and lose out on Moore. Presti was reportedly wanting pretty big concessions on Smith's part to get bought out....

I think Danny was focused on getting Mar and thought Moore would fit the bill...

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

you can't do it....I'm sorry. I want another Title as much as the next guy, but once you start d-ing over players, you're headed in the wrong direction.

If anything, they should have re-released him before the deadline so he could go elsewhere. Still looks shady, but at least Moore would have some choices...
Yeah, your right. Either cut Pruitt and give Smith Powe's court time or forget about him because at this point cutting Moore to get Smith would create a nightmare situation for future dealings with FAs.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 09:35:59 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

I think this was the story from a week ago.  I don't really believe Smith would have signed with Boston over Cleveland.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 09:36:50 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I wouldn't cut Moore or Marbury, that would look really bad, but I would cut Pruitt (fresh off a OUI) or Giddens, nothing wrong with that.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:09 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

I wouldn't cut Moore or Marbury, that would look really bad, but I would cut Pruitt (fresh off a OUI) or Giddens, nothing wrong with that.

Giddens is guaranteed next season... Waive Powe, He's unrestricted anyway and its looking more and more like Baby won that battle...
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

even if you don't cut him, it is still a d- move to bring in another guy when you promised Moore a role to get him to come here.

Moore said it straight out in his first interview. He said he told BOS that he didn't want to come here if he was going to be buried on the bench. and they said he would have a key role.

you can't go back on that. not after two games....