Author Topic: Is Rondo's Inconsistency Due to Stubborness?  (Read 9523 times)

Is Rondo's Inconsistency Due to Stubborness?
« on: March 02, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
If he's not being stubborn, what's the problem then? 

I know he is a young player, but it seems that some of the things he is inconsistent at, he shouldn't be.  Take BBD for instance.  While he does not always knock down the shot consistently (which is not unexpected of a young player), he AT LEAST takes the shot consistently.  BBD never turns down an open shot because he knows what it does to the offense when the ball rotates to you when you're open and you don't take it.

This is what I'm talking about with Rondo.  I don't expect him to knock down the open shot consistently, because he's still working on his shot, but there is no reason why he can't consistently take the open shot.  BBD is about the same age, but with a year less experience and he's exhibiting a more willingness to do his job (sometimes doesn't always turn out good though).  Turning down the open shot causes overpassing, shot clock violations, 3 second violations and a teammate having to take a desperation shot.  He kills the offense when he does this.

Another thing I don't understand about his consistency is pushing the ball. He has games where he constantly walks the ball up the court against Doc's wishes.  This is something he should be able to do consistently as well.

The rest I understand it's due to being a young player in the league.  I just don't see any reason why he can't consistently attack on offense and take the open shot when it presents itself whether he makes it or not.

Rondo needs to talk to Big Baby about that. ;)

Oh, this is not a bash on Rondo, I love the kid.  Just some observations about his inconsistency that I don't understand.

"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Is Rondo's Inconsistency Due to Stubborness?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:35:31 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Sorry, but I really don't see that much "inconsistency". He's a pass first guy, and I think he realizes that if Ray Allen or PP is open, it's better to pass than shoot.  Also, other teams are really started to cut off and clog up the baseline, so that part of his game has been partially taken away.
And one thing that is pretty consistent is very few turnovers, which is easy to take for granted, until you see something like Marbury being stripped of the ball in the open court twice in a couple of minutes ::)
But I agree about walking the ball upcourt- seems like he doesn't always use his speed advantage.
Also agree that he should shoot more when he's wide open, although I think he's shooting better and more often lately.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
Sorry, but I really don't see that much "inconsistency". He's a pass first guy, and I think he realizes that if Ray Allen or PP is open, it's better to pass than shoot.  Also, other teams are really started to cut off and clog up the baseline, so that part of his game has been partially taken away.
And one thing that is pretty consistent is very few turnovers, which is easy to take for granted, until you see something like Marbury being stripped of the ball in the open court twice in a couple of minutes ::)
But I agree about walking the ball upcourt- seems like he doesn't always use his speed advantage.
Also agree that he should shoot more when he's wide open, although I think he's shooting better and more often lately.

Those are the only two things I'm talking about... walking the ball up and not taking the open shot consistently, just as recently as yesterday.  He started out in the 1st quarter taking the open shot, but it went downhill from there.  I'm just wondering if it is a refusal to take the shot or is he afraid he won't make it?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:43:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What is with the whole "Rondo nees to take that shot" attitude? I just don't get it. He's young and that's the worst part of his game right now. Other parts of his game aren't just good but dominant. He should utilize those dominat skills and work on his shot in the off season.

Right now he looks to pass, first, drive and pass, second, drive and shoot, third, and finally shoot the open mid range to long shot, last. That's his game and it isn't going to change anytime this year. We all just need to get used to it. Pundits across the nation are starting to see this very young man for what he is, one of the best PGs in the league. His shot will come. Tony Parker's shot came around. So did Magic Johnson's. Neither were very good shooters at a young age but over many years eventually became good shooters.

It will happen. Just be patient. He's not being stubborn in not taking a shot he isn't good at making or confident in taking. He's just being smart.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:43:19 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I honestly think every player on the celtics(and most teams) is inconsistent, it just hurts most when its rondo
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:50:08 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
What is with the whole "Rondo nees to take that shot" attitude? I just don't get it. He's young and that's the worst part of his game right now. Other parts of his game aren't just good but dominant. He should utilize those dominat skills and work on his shot in the off season.

Right now he looks to pass, first, drive and pass, second, drive and shoot, third, and finally shoot the open mid range to long shot, last. That's his game and it isn't going to change anytime this year. We all just need to get used to it. Pundits across the nation are starting to see this very young man for what he is, one of the best PGs in the league. His shot will come. Tony Parker's shot came around. So did Magic Johnson's. Neither were very good shooters at a young age but over many years eventually became good shooters.

It will happen. Just be patient. He's not being stubborn in not taking a shot he isn't good at making or confident in taking. He's just being smart.

I guess you haven't noticed Doc screaming at the top of his lungs at Rondo when he doesn't take the open shots. A few games ago Doc yelled at rondo to "Take the F... shot!"  I also guess you haven' noticed how the offense is screwed up when he doesn't take the shot.  As I've said above it causes things like shot clock violations, overpassing, 3 second violations and desperation shots by whoever he passes to with the clock winding down.  He doesn't have to make the shot all the time (because he won't anyway), bu he definitely needs to take them. 

I don't know why people think Rondo can just ignore open shots when it obviously hurts the offense when he doesn't take the shots.  The notion that Rondo doesn't need a jumpshot is rubbish.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 10:02:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I guess you haven't noticed Doc screaming at the top of his lungs at Rondo when he doesn't take the open shots. A few games ago Doc yelled at rondo to "Take the F... shot!"  I also guess you haven' noticed how the offense is screwed up when he doesn't take the shot.  As I've said above it causes things like shot clock violations, overpassing, 3 second violations and desperation shots by whoever he passes to with the clock winding down.  He doesn't have to make the shot all the time (because he won't anyway), bu he definitely needs to take them. 

I don't know why people think Rondo can just ignore open shots when it obviously hurts the offense when he doesn't take the shots.  The notion that Rondo doesn't need a jumpshot is rubbish.
Does the offense work any better when Rondo is taking the shot and missing it? What is the sense with only 20 games left to be taking a shot that he hasn't been hitting and isn't confident taking? If this was December and Doc was doing all that screaming then that's one thing but there's lass than 5 weeks left in the season. Doc's wrong. He should at this point be trying to develop stuff that uses Rondo's strengths instead of trying to develop his weakness.

If he started this early like he did with Baby then that's one thing but the whole, Rondo needs to start taking that shot attitude didn't start coming out of Doc very loudly until it was apparent that Rondo had taken the rest of his game to a different altitude in late January and early February. He mentioned it before then better never stressed it.

That ship has passed for this year. it's time to concentrate on winning. It's March. The time for developing was in November, December, January and February.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:05:10 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald

Does the offense work any better when Rondo is taking the shot and missing it? What is the sense with only 20 games left to be taking a shot that he hasn't been hitting and isn't confident taking? If this was December and Doc was doing all that screaming then that's one thing but there's lass than 5 weeks left in the season. Doc's wrong. He should at this point be trying to develop stuff that uses Rondo's strengths instead of trying to develop his weakness.

If he started this early like he did with Baby then that's one thing but the whole, Rondo needs to start taking that shot attitude didn't start coming out of Doc very loudly until it was apparent that Rondo had taken the rest of his game to a different altitude in late January and early February. He mentioned it before then better never stressed it.

That ship has passed for this year. it's time to concentrate on winning. It's March. The time for developing was in November, December, January and February.

Yes.  If Rondo takes the shot and misses it, the C's at least have a chance at a rebound, when he doesn't it's a turnover and the ball goes to the other team.  But if he doesn't take the shot, he has zero chance of making it or getting a rebound.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Yes.  If Rondo takes the shot and misses it, the C's at least have a chance at a rebound, when he doesn't it's a turnover and the ball goes to the other team.  But if he doesn't take the shot, he has zero chance of making it or getting a rebound.

You're not serious are you?

So all those times where instead of taking the shot he found a lane or found someone else to take the shot doesn't count? All those times where he didn't take the shot but the Celtics scored on those possessions just don't matter? All those times where someone else shot the ball and missed we didn't have the opportunity at a rebound? The only time we are going to pay attention to this part of his game is when he doesn't do it and it leads to a turnover?

Well that must be happening a whole 2.7 times a game because that's how many TOs he has per game. Orperhaps, just perhaps, this whole issue is extremely overblown and just a backwards slap at Rondo for not being perfect. He's 23 for crying out loud. He can blow by people even when the sag off him. He had 17 assists the other night even though the opposition was challenging him to take that shot. And they won. He had 17 assists and didn't even play that great. He had 12/6/6 yesterday while missing that shot he was taking and that Doc was screaming for him to take and they lost.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:26:45 AM »

Offline yoursweatersux

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 45
If you allow the other team to force your worst shooter to take jumpshots, then you've pretty much just lost the game. Sorry, but the point you're trying to make is pretty retarded. Opposing coaches would LOVE to convince Rondo that taking open jumpers is the way to go.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 06:19:59 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
If you allow the other team to force your worst shooter to take jumpshots, then you've pretty much just lost the game. Sorry, but the point you're trying to make is pretty retarded. Opposing coaches would LOVE to convince Rondo that taking open jumpers is the way to go.

Bankshots point is that other teams are trying to FORCE Rondo into taking those shots by overplaying the passing lanes to our shooters and leaving him open and when that happens repeatedly YES Rondo has to take those shots to keep the defense honest or the entire offense suffers.
That's not "retarded".  It's a fact.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald

Bankshots point is that other teams are trying to FORCE Rondo into taking those shots by overplaying the passing lanes to our shooters and leaving him open and when that happens repeatedly YES Rondo has to take those shots to keep the defense honest or the entire offense suffers.

Thanks Jay.  It's funny how people are jumping all over me for this post when Rondo's own coach is pleading for him to take the jumpshot. ::)

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 06:51:32 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
he made some good jumpshots against Detroit, all will be well with the return of KG.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

Thanks Jay.  It's funny how people are jumping all over me for this post when Rondo's own coach is pleading for him to take the jumpshot. ::)

There's a difference between taking a jumpshot, and taking a bad jumpshot.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Am I the only one who thinks his ability to hit jumpers has visably improved the past few games? I think a great deal of that has to do with the fact that he's taking the shots when he has control of the ball as opposed to when it is swung to him. But on the whole I've been impressed with how well he has shot the ball.