Author Topic: Pierce saying what we all have been saying:  (Read 26994 times)

Re: Pierce saying what we all have been saying:
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
But haven't Walker and Giddens been in the D-League most of the season? They'll get minutes sooner or later.

I'm much more worried by the fact that they're the only available options to rest Pierce.

Watching Marbury trying to guard Herrmann was painful. Teams will try to kill us by playing big wings and Doc doesn't have the personnel to make a counter-move.

Okay, let's assume that the team doesn't upgrade the 3 for the remainder of the season.  What's your suggestion regarding the best way to get Paul and Ray rest?   I think many of us know that Walker isn't ready (for whatever reason), but we're not seeing a lot of other options.

I think we can blame Danny or fate or whatever for the state of the roster, while also not being thrilled with the way Doc is handling the pieces he does have.
is tony allen out for the season? :-\
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
But haven't Walker and Giddens been in the D-League most of the season? They'll get minutes sooner or later.

I'm much more worried by the fact that they're the only available options to rest Pierce.

Watching Marbury trying to guard Herrmann was painful. Teams will try to kill us by playing big wings and Doc doesn't have the personnel to make a counter-move.

Okay, let's assume that the team doesn't upgrade the 3 for the remainder of the season.  What's your suggestion regarding the best way to get Paul and Ray rest?   I think many of us know that Walker isn't ready (for whatever reason), but we're not seeing a lot of other options.

I think we can blame Danny or fate or whatever for the state of the roster, while also not being thrilled with the way Doc is handling the pieces he does have.

He's out until the playoffs, at least.  From my perspective, Ray and Paul will play a ton of minutes in the playoffs, which will mitigate the need for a backup 3 at that time.  However, in the regular season, we need *somebody* to spell Pierce and Ray.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 08:20:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He's out until the playoffs, at least.  From my perspective, Ray and Paul will play a ton of minutes in the playoffs, which will mitigate the need for a backup 3 at that time.  However, in the regular season, we need *somebody* to spell Pierce and Ray.

There's still at least 15-20 minutes a game behind those two in the playoffs, although I'll bet Marbury ends up playing most of the backup 2 minutes.

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
i feel like if Cleveland significantly pulls out ahead of us we will see Walker getting some minutes.

I don't know how likely that is, especially after KG comes back.

(I mean Cleveland pulling way ahead of us).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:32:31 PM by BballTim »

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2009, 08:43:33 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

ok then i will have to give a free pass to bill , Its not a bad idea to teach some real nba d to the guy
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Walker should play. 8 minutes or so a game would help Paul and I don't think it would hurt us.

Doc doesn't like Rookies. He played Starbury and Moore right away with no practice time. Seriously, how much worse would Walker do?

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Crownsy, to me having Eddie House ( a shooting guard ina point body ) and Cassell ( a 39 year old former all star )( as your back up points is going into the season with no legit back up point guard.

I just don't see either of them as being a legitimate back up point that can set the table for the second unit.

I thought Sam was pretty much done "last year"...

my point was that we did that last year and it seemed to work fine.

and now we have a legit back up PG, albit one that is slightly deranged and out of game shape at this time.

my biggest concern with scal and TA down remains what it was before they went down, a true back up defensive wing.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

There's still at least 15-20 minutes a game behind those two in the playoffs, although I'll bet Marbury ends up playing most of the backup 2 minutes.

i agree that that is what is going to happen. but is that a good thing?

you end up having bad matchups (like Mar on Brandon Rush) and you also basically eliminate Eddie from the rotation - who has been our best bench player...

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2009, 10:02:47 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Man, I have a big=time problem with the over-simplification of this team's wing depth.

Almost everybody on this thread is acting like there is only one type of SF that is mandatory in order to adequately cover the minutes needed at SF, which is not the case.

Assuming Pierce should be playing 35 mpg on average, the team needs 13 minutes of SF time covered in order to get him his rest.

Ray Allen has played about 12 mpg at SF this year and his offensive and defensive numbers have been very strong. Up until the injuries it was the depth at SG that allowed for Pierce to rest because Ray was playing LESS minutes at SG and serving at Pierce's backup at the 3.

So, up until TA got injured, this was a complete non-issue for a number of reasons. TA was giving the team 19 mpg on average and Eddie House was also contributing around 17 mpg to the guard rotation - the problem was never the 3, but the PG spot for the bulk of this year.

When TA went down, the team lost its reliable depth at the wing because Eddie is only semi-competent defending the PG spot and cannot be more than a off/def defensive flip/flop with a bigger PG...hence Marbury's value at a big PG capable of defending 2's.

As far as situational subs go, while Scalabrine certainly cannot stay with ALL SF's, he can and HAS played quality perimeter defense against SOME SF's...drum roll...mostly the BIGGER, STRONGER 3's that rely on size over quickness - exactly what many here have been lamenting as the team's need - not the case.

Listen, most teams don't have an answer for every single match up imaginable - every team has some type  of weakness that can be exploited. However, the Celtics had their primary 3 man in Pierce, their main backup in Ray Allen, their primary backup 2 guard in Tony Allen, and their situational backups to each position in Scal and Eddie House.

The NEED positions were back up PG and floor spacing big man - one was worked on internally with Davis working on his jumper, the other was initially a combined effort of grooming Pruitt and having Cassell as playoff insurance.

Both these needs were addressed with the waiver acquisitions of Moore and Marbury, the latter being easily the greatest acquisition of any the of title contenders with the upside to completely throw the balance of power in Boston's favor against its two chief rivals.

Yet, all I see on this board is revisionist Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing about not waiting for Smith and Gooden to be bought out, which happened at literally the LAST hour possible. Conveniently enough most of the loudest complainers are the same people who were berating him for not playing the conservative hand and signing vets 4 months ago before the season started.

So now we're going to pile on about not giving this team depth at the wing? This team has had all types of depth at the wing all season. It wasn't until the losses of Scal and TA did this team lose the depth it needed to keep Pierce and Ray below the 36 mpg threshold...this is an injury caused situation, not a lack of foresight.

If Scal or TA had not performed well when healthy this team may very well have looked for other wing options with experience, that was not the case.

Marbury getting up to speed will go a ways toward helping this situation as Marbury can play man 2 guards in this league - putting a 6'8 Walter Hermann at the 2 was a novel idea, but you can count on one hand the amount of minutes he's seen at that position. He also got all his points on difficult jumpers against some pretty solid man defense, forcing him to shoot a tough turn-around and a learning motion baseliner.

This thread sounds a lot more like sky-is-falling grousing and agenda-driven skewing of facts...maybe a pinch of simple lack of attention to the performance histories of the players on this roster at best.

Simply put, depth at the wings was never a problem coming into this year, but now that injuries have made it an issue - Walker and Giddens are a far superior choice to grinding Pierce and Ray into oblivion..

...the good news? Pierce and Ainge have both mentioned this now, so given the level of communication on this team, i'd say it'll be addressed quickly...

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Ok, so lets play Walker 3 minutes alongside Ray Allen and Marbury in the first half and 3 minutes with them in the second half. Then we play Giddens 3 minutes with Pierce and Marbury in the first half and 3 minutes with them in the second half. These should be done around the 1-2 and 3-4 quarter breaks to maximize rest for the starters. We play Eddie House at the SG alongside Rondo and Ray for 8 minutes and another 8 minutes alongside Rondo and Pierce.

This leaves Pierce and Ray with 37 minutes each. Rondo with 36 minutes, House with 16 minutes and Marbury with 12 minutes for the rest of the season. We can adjust Pierce and Ray for less minutes at the end of blowouts and let Doc give then to whomever he wants.

I know, it wont happen for whatever reason. Too bad. :(
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2009, 10:10:08 PM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Man, I have a big=time problem with the over-simplification of this team's wing depth.

Almost everybody on this thread is acting like there is only one type of SF that is mandatory in order to adequately cover the minutes needed at SF, which is not the case.

Assuming Pierce should be playing 35 mpg on average, the team needs 13 minutes of SF time covered in order to get him his rest.

Ray Allen has played about 12 mpg at SF this year and his offensive and defensive numbers have been very strong. Up until the injuries it was the depth at SG that allowed for Pierce to rest because Ray was playing LESS minutes at SG and serving at Pierce's backup at the 3.

So, up until TA got injured, this was a complete non-issue for a number of reasons. TA was giving the team 19 mpg on average and Eddie House was also contributing around 17 mpg to the guard rotation - the problem was never the 3, but the PG spot for the bulk of this year.

When TA went down, the team lost its reliable depth at the wing because Eddie is only semi-competent defending the PG spot and cannot be more than a off/def defensive flip/flop with a bigger PG...hence Marbury's value at a big PG capable of defending 2's.

As far as situational subs go, while Scalabrine certainly cannot stay with ALL SF's, he can and HAS played quality perimeter defense against SOME SF's...drum roll...mostly the BIGGER, STRONGER 3's that rely on size over quickness - exactly what many here have been lamenting as the team's need - not the case.

Listen, most teams don't have an answer for every single match up imaginable - every team has some type  of weakness that can be exploited. However, the Celtics had their primary 3 man in Pierce, their main backup in Ray Allen, their primary backup 2 guard in Tony Allen, and their situational backups to each position in Scal and Eddie House.

The NEED positions were back up PG and floor spacing big man - one was worked on internally with Davis working on his jumper, the other was initially a combined effort of grooming Pruitt and having Cassell as playoff insurance.

Both these needs were addressed with the waiver acquisitions of Moore and Marbury, the latter being easily the greatest acquisition of any the of title contenders with the upside to completely throw the balance of power in Boston's favor against its two chief rivals.

Yet, all I see on this board is revisionist ****ing about not waiting for Smith and Gooden to be bought out, which happened at literally the LAST hour possible. Conveniently enough most of the loudest complainers are the same people who were berating him for not playing the conservative hand and signing vets 4 months ago before the season started.

So now we're going to pile on about not giving this team depth at the wing? This team has had all types of depth at the wing all season. It wasn't until the losses of Scal and TA did this team lose the depth it needed to keep Pierce and Ray below the 36 mpg threshold...this is an injury caused situation, not a lack of foresight.

If Scal or TA had not performed well when healthy this team may very well have looked for other wing options with experience, that was not the case.

Marbury getting up to speed will go a ways toward helping this situation as Marbury can play man 2 guards in this league - putting a 6'8 Walter Hermann at the 2 was a novel idea, but you can count on one hand the amount of minutes he's seen at that position. He also got all his points on difficult jumpers against some pretty solid man defense, forcing him to shoot a tough turn-around and a learning motion baseliner.

This thread sounds a lot more like sky-is-falling grousing and agenda-driven skewing of facts...maybe a pinch of simple lack of attention to the performance histories of the players on this roster at best.

Simply put, depth at the wings was never a problem coming into this year, but now that injuries have made it an issue - Walker and Giddens are a far superior choice to grinding Pierce and Ray into oblivion..

...the good news? Pierce and Ainge have both mentioned this now, so given the level of communication on this team, i'd say it'll be addressed quickly...

Bill, I agree with almost 100% of what you said.  The only thing I do not understand is why DA signed TA over Matt Barnes.  Unless he felt comfortable with TA's health enough to see him and Scal being able to providing matchup subs at 3 for the hole season.  My one issue is, why would DA ever think TA could stay healthy for the entire season.

Regardless, I award you a TP for not giving into the chicken little attitude. 

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2009, 10:50:52 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Yet, all I see on this board is revisionist ****ing about not waiting for Smith and Gooden to be bought out, which happened at literally the LAST hour possible. Conveniently enough most of the loudest complainers are the same people who were berating him for not playing the conservative hand and signing vets 4 months ago before the season started.

please tell me how it is revisionist when it was stated plainly at the time of signing Moore that we should wait to see who else came available.

And IMO your patchwork plan to fill the bench wing minutes simply doesn't cut it. The biggest need clearly is at the wing. We got by with Scals and TA taking those minutes but it was far less than ideal. TA made the most sense, but he was not getting the job done.

we already had a backup PG in Eddie (and Sam if we needed it) and Eddie has been the most reliable player off the bench.

You may look at the dimensions and claim that backup big is filled with Moore, but i think you can see in the DET game that regardless of how tall he is, he is going to have trouble defending the position which will limit the amount of time you can even have him on the court in the playoffs. especially in a series against CLE.

Mar brings a big boost to the talent level of the bench, but he takes minutes away from a player that has been very effective for us. If he takes the minutes at back up SG, not only are you susceptible to mismatches (by they way, what about Brandon Rush...), but you essentially eliminate Eddie from the rotation.

every player that played in the playoffs last year for this team was back this year besides Posey and PJ. That makes those spots the "need" positions.

Mar is a nice addition in terms of talent, but we won a Title with players already on the roster filling his role.

In the playoffs, holes get exploited. IMO patchwork solutions to those holes unravel.

the long and the short of it is we need a wing or we need Walker to make an insane leap into this rotation....

and remember, the injuries to Scals and TA happened before we signed Moore and Mar.

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2009, 11:17:08 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Doc was put in a bad situation with the roster he's been handed, but he's got to make the best of it.  In February, Paul averaged 41.1 minutes.  Last night, he played 48.  That's disgusting, especially in light of Paul's previously voiced concerns about wearing down.

Probably every coach in the league would want to be put in Doc's "bad situation." Doc is a players coach.  They love to play for him.  But he is not flawless.  He has a history struggling with rotations.  It's been talked about on this website almost since he's been in Boston.  He has his reasons for not playing certain players. It's not rocket science, and it's not scientific, but it's Doc's way.

Players do have to win his trust, but he also has to give players the opportunity for them to gain his trust.  With some players Doc just doesn't do that. It's doubtful he will change at this point.

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

And IMO your patchwork plan to fill the bench wing minutes simply doesn't cut it. The biggest need clearly is at the wing. We got by with Scals and TA taking those minutes but it was far less than ideal. TA made the most sense, but he was not getting the job done.

we already had a backup PG in Eddie (and Sam if we needed it) and Eddie has been the most reliable player off the bench.

Why was TA not getting the job done? Were we losing games because of him? Were we losing all of our leads because of his play? Were backup wings on opposing teams killing us?

And Eddie hasn't been much more reliable than anyone else and he's only effective this year as a spot up shooter who doesn't handle the ball much. That's not exactly what I look for in a pg.

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2009, 12:14:04 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

I agree with this whole heartedly. This team just needs KG back and a little time to jell with the new players. Playoffs hear we come!!!