Author Topic: Pierce saying what we all have been saying:  (Read 26964 times)

Re: Pierce saying what we all have been saying:
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
But haven't Walker and Giddens been in the D-League most of the season? They'll get minutes sooner or later.

I'm much more worried by the fact that they're the only available options to rest Pierce.

Watching Marbury trying to guard Herrmann was painful. Teams will try to kill us by playing big wings and Doc doesn't have the personnel to make a counter-move.

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2009, 02:24:54 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If not Walker, maybe we can cut Pruitt and give Shaun Livingston a try. :-\
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 02:25:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
But haven't Walker and Giddens been in the D-League most of the season? They'll get minutes sooner or later.

I'm much more worried by the fact that they're the only available options to rest Pierce.

Watching Marbury trying to guard Herrmann was painful. Teams will try to kill us by playing big wings and Doc doesn't have the personnel to make a counter-move.

Giddens, but Walker has been up with the club for quite some time now. There has been ample opportunity to get him some minutes or integrate him into the rotation somehow.

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
We Need to play a backup 3 - Walker is the best option right now. Even if we just get 8 minutes a game (when the game still matters).

Burning Pierce out over the next couple weeks makes no sense what so ever.  I dont give a crap about home court advantage. Lets have a healthy team, with depth at each position.

Heck, what if Pierce goes down with a big injury. Then we are totally screwed.

Mr. October, please forward these comments to Doc --
I agree completely, and it sounds like most of the board does too.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i feel like if Cleveland significantly pulls out ahead of us we will see Walker getting some minutes.

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 02:59:56 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Giddens and Walker are still rookies and have not gotten their feet wet at all, but if the truth goes down that's like cutting our head off and ripping out the heart. Stop being silly Doc we can't lose THAT much if one of them is out there for only 8-10 mins a game.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2009, 03:02:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I think Walker and Giddens need some burn also. If doc doesn't do that though, they should start Marbury at shooting guard and rotate Ray at the 2 and 3 spot. A wing rotation needs some work. I don't think more players will be signed unless we get some kind of injury exemption ,from the Scal situation, to sign another player.

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
did anybody watch the CLE game yesterday?

I think we are going to need HC in a CLE series. The lack of a replacement for Pose and PJ leaves a hole in the "toughness" factor on our bench.

how about that battle between Pachulia and Varejao....
Powe has Sideshow Bobs number, and KG has Pachulias.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2009, 03:06:05 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The Marbury House back court only will make sense when we are playing other small back courts.

ex: Cleveland - Williams, West, Gibson
ex: Lakers - Fisher, Farmar, Vuya-crap
etc.

Neither of them should ever be guarding a 6-9 jump shooter like Herrmann.

Free Bill Walker!!

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
The Marbury House back court only will make sense when we are playing other small back courts.

ex: Cleveland - Williams, West, Gibson
ex: Lakers - Fisher, Farmar, Vuya-crap
etc.

Neither of them should ever be guarding a 6-9 jump shooter like Herrmann.

Free Bill Walker!!

Why wasn't Baby on Herrmann? He has quick feet and is probably 6'9".

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2009, 03:13:42 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

Danny also needs to take some of the blame here for drafting two wings one of whom he thinks is NBA ready and not consulting with Doc about their chances of cracking the rotation

I don't think it's on Ainge at all.  We needed wings from the draft first off.  Looking at the 2nd round, the only player I could have seen who would have been a better wing option was Mbah A Moute, but he was rather unknown, a lot of people didn't think he was going to be able to adjust to play the 3, but he's been quite the surprise this year.  There wasn't anyone else whom we could have drafted that would have been a better option.  Maybe Malik Hairston?  Personally, I think Giddens and Walker can play, but Doc is just being stubborn.  We need to see them in real game time to see if they can actually play.  Doc needs to give them a shot. 

I don't mind the drafting of the wings at all. From what I saw of them in the D-league I agree both of them could give the team a few useful minutes. My problem is whether Doc and Danny were on the same page regarding the rotations during the offseason. TA/Scal the back-up 3s have missed a good number of games this season and Paul plays heavy minutes and Doc uses Ray as his back-up instead of playing the rookies. Maybe if it was clear neither rookie was going to play this season no matter the circumstances, the team might have looked for another wing for the roster spot that went to Cassell or POB.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2009, 03:18:04 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Crownsy, to me having Eddie House ( a shooting guard ina point body ) and Cassell ( a 39 year old former all star )( as your back up points is going into the season with no legit back up point guard.

I just don't see either of them as being a legitimate back up point that can set the table for the second unit.

I thought Sam was pretty much done "last year"...

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2009, 06:24:56 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
did anyone see giddens the other night? he had no idea where to be on the court. more than once he had his hands up yelling to guys and they were yellin' back. if he doesnt know where to be or what the plays are then i'm totally coll with him not playing until he does. to me walker is just a dunk highlight but maybe i'm wrong.

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2009, 07:03:54 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
did anyone see giddens the other night? he had no idea where to be on the court. more than once he had his hands up yelling to guys and they were yellin' back. if he doesnt know where to be or what the plays are then i'm totally coll with him not playing until he does. to me walker is just a dunk highlight but maybe i'm wrong.

he has good hands on the defensive end. good at denying players the ball and getting clean strips, the only problem is that if your a rookie in this league those things are called fouls no matter how clean it is.

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Okay, let's assume that the team doesn't upgrade the 3 for the remainder of the season.  What's your suggestion regarding the best way to get Paul and Ray rest?   I think many of us know that Walker isn't ready (for whatever reason), but we're not seeing a lot of other options.

I think we can blame Danny or fate or whatever for the state of the roster, while also not being thrilled with the way Doc is handling the pieces he does have.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions