Author Topic: Pierce saying what we all have been saying:  (Read 26966 times)

Pierce saying what we all have been saying:
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:52:43 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
seems he wants the young wings to get a chance:

“Shoot, we’ve got issues everywhere with our depth, especially at the wing,” said Pierce. “With Tony being out (and) with Scal being out, we’re definitely thin at the 2-3 position. You got me, Ray and now we’re asking Eddie (House) to guard bigger guys, Stephon Marbury to guard bigger guys. So it definitely, definitely puts us in a bind. Hopefully in these next couple days we can work in Bill Walker or J.R. Giddens to give us some spot minutes and help us out, but that’s on the coach.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2009_03_02_Celtics_waiting_on_help:_Showing_patience_while_shorthanded/

Re: Pierce saying what we all have been saying:
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:58:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, Danny has said the same thing.  Playing Paul Pierce 48 minutes when he has complained about fatigue concerns is ridiculous.  Danny needs to sit Doc down and tell him he's going to kill our guys heading into the playoffs.

Doc was put in a bad situation with the roster he's been handed, but he's got to make the best of it.  In February, Paul averaged 41.1 minutes.  Last night, he played 48.  That's disgusting, especially in light of Paul's previously voiced concerns about wearing down.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:59:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah, Danny has said the same thing.  Playing Paul Pierce 48 minutes when he has complained about fatigue concerns is ridiculous.  Danny needs to sit Doc down and tell him he's going to kill our guys heading into the playoffs.

Doc was put in a bad situation with the roster he's been handed, but he's got to make the best of it.  In February, Paul averaged 41.1 minutes.  Last night, he played 48.  That's disgusting, especially in light of Paul's previously voiced concerns about wearing down.
He's too turnover prone in general. Once he's gassed at the end of games he's very turnover prone.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:00:35 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
That number HAS to change.

Leaving Doc with nothing behind Paul is irresponsible management - compounded now by Doc's refusal to give Pierce any rest.

If we're to have any chance whatsoever in the playoffs, we've got to lop five minutes off that 41.1 figure and get it done ASAP.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Play Walker or sign Stromile Swift or anyone Doc would trust to put in the game behind PP.  Doc wants someone he can trust, that's why Walker isn't getting minutes behind PP.  That's my guess anyway.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:34:55 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
Doc needs to be less fixated on the 1st seed. That IMO is why he is playing the starters so much. Show some confidence in the C's ability to win a road game in the playoffs (in Cleveland if needed), and give Walker a chance to back up Pierce. Playing Pierce 48 minutes in a regular season game is pretty bad coaching, regardless of how Walker and Giddens are playing in practice.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 08:36:52 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
1987 all over again... :-\
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:52:41 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
did anybody watch the CLE game yesterday?

I think we are going to need HC in a CLE series. The lack of a replacement for Pose and PJ leaves a hole in the "toughness" factor on our bench.

how about that battle between Pachulia and Varejao....

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:55:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I think we are going to need HC in a CLE series. The lack of a replacement for Pose and PJ leaves a hole in the "toughness" factor on our bench.

It's really a no-win situation.  We can either rely upon players with no experience for five minutes per game, which makes us slightly more likely to lose games now (and thus not have a chance at home court).  Or, we can go all-out to win home court, burning our starters out going into the playoffs.  Either way, our playoff chances are weaker than if we had a legitimate backup 3 on the roster.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:58:10 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Play Walker or sign Stromile Swift or anyone Doc would trust to put in the game behind PP.  Doc wants someone he can trust, that's why Walker isn't getting minutes behind PP.  That's my guess anyway.

swift? that was meant to be funny, right?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:06:30 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

No.  I haven't seen Swift play in a long while, but I do remember Wyc wanting to sign him years back, but he got a fat contract.  I have no idea what he can give us, except maybe some defense at the 3 spot.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 09:10:12 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

It's really a no-win situation.  We can either rely upon players with no experience for five minutes per game, which makes us slightly more likely to lose games now (and thus not have a chance at home court).  Or, we can go all-out to win home court, burning our starters out going into the playoffs.  Either way, our playoff chances are weaker than if we had a legitimate backup 3 on the roster.

yeah, i don't know what to do. I have a hard time getting on Doc, though, because it seems pretty clear to me that he is very aware of how important HC is going to be.

it's really the only explanation as to why he isn't playing Walker.

I think now that Pierce is going public, he is going to have to play Walker. Maybe he will surprise us all and be a spark off the bench....

honestly, though, i'm as worried about have a nasty big as i am a defensive wing....

if we had gambled and lost out on Smith and Gooden, I would have gone after Horry. At least we know he brings the nastiness factor.

Throw him at Varejao and let them get each other tossed from the games...

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 09:12:52 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147

No.  I haven't seen Swift play in a long while, but I do remember Wyc wanting to sign him years back, but he got a fat contract.  I have no idea what he can give us, except maybe some defense at the 3 spot.

Swift is an older version of Tyrus Thomas.  He has some ridiculous dunks, but hes definitely a 4.  He cannot do anything besides jump.  him at the 3 position would be a nightmare.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:47:35 AM by shiggins »

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 09:16:30 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

i'm all for considering options, but he's a 4 and he's lazy.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 10:02:46 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
1987 all over again... :-\
Doc needs to be less fixated on the 1st seed. That IMO is why he is playing the starters so much. Show some confidence in the C's ability to win a road game in the playoffs (in Cleveland if needed), and give Walker a chance to back up Pierce. Playing Pierce 48 minutes in a regular season game is pretty bad coaching, regardless of how Walker and Giddens are playing in practice.
what can i add that these 2 comments didn't say!