Author Topic: These "stumbles" are very Spurs-like  (Read 2097 times)

These "stumbles" are very Spurs-like
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I mean this in the best way, but the Cs dropping a few games here and there really reminds me of how the Spurs tend to rein it in a bit just before putting on a serious push.  I do think the Celtics need home court advantage more than the Spurs ever do, partially because the Celtics are a more emotional team and because Cleveland has a legitimately great home court advantage.  But I think they can get away without it.  Here's why.

My hope is that the Cavs drop a few to match the Celtics.  I expect Marbury and Moore will contribute but need a few weeks to do so, hopefully coming soon after the return of a healthy, energized and motivated KG.  If KG brings his offense, and if Marbury can add 5-10 PPG (which I don't think is asking too much) then hopefully that takes a load off of Pierce and Allen, who can store something up for the playoffs.

So if we can depend on a #2 seed, then there are two real problems.  Going through Orlando (likely) instead of the #4 or #5 seed, and playing in Cleveland.  I don't think Orlando poses a problem; the Cs can hopefully wrap that series up in 5-6.  Assuming the Cavs cruise behind Lebron and win both first round series in 4-6 games, that would leave both teams equally tired, the advantage going to Cleveland because I don't think I've ever seen Lebron James get tired.

Naturally you'd think with how close the series was last year, Cleveland's improvement and the Celtics lacking Posey or PJ, that swings it in the Cavs favor.  But one thing we will very likely have that we completely lacked last year is Ray Allen.  As most will recall, he was pretty bad the first few series.  I don't expect a duplication this year.  He is healthier, you can tell just by watching him.  And while we'll lack PJ and Posey, we also have an ever evolving Rajon Rondo.  Mo Williams is over rated, and I think the Celtics back court can, if needed, grab them an away-win in the ECF.

Anyone else seeing it this way?  Think I'm way off?

Re: These "stumbles" are very Spurs-like
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:14:22 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
I've often seen our performance this year as Spurs or Pistons like, in some ways-going a little light in the regular season, thinking we can just turn it up whenever.  Two problems:
1. The Spurs usually don't play Ginobli 48 minutes a game.
2. They also only win a chip once every other year.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:15:46 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

I may have just jinxed the team...

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112

I may have just jinxed the team...

Noooo quick take it back!  Take it back!

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:40:48 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
But in the Spurs stumbles and pushes, their starters hardly play over 30 minutes a game.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
But in the Spurs stumbles and pushes, their starters hardly play over 30 minutes a game.

That, and the spurs always are tops in the league with fewest turnovers a game, we turn the ball over constantly..we're not the spurs
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:05:54 AM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Spurs have been contenders for a long time they ain't going no where. We might have less years to have a chance at the title then they did for so many years. Only comparison I would make is how Parker evolved as a great PG like Rondo did on this team. Other then that I think we are better right now and have more youth on the team.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 07:25:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Spurs have been contenders for a long time they ain't going no where. We might have less years to have a chance at the title then they did for so many years. Only comparison I would make is how Parker evolved as a great PG like Rondo did on this team. Other then that I think we are better right now and have more youth on the team.
The Spurs are only contenders as long as Ginobli and Duncan are playing at a high level and are healthy. So they're actually at a similar place as the Celtics right now.

We're better though last season and this season. It is worth noting that a lot of teams who have won the title were not the number one seed. Spurs have done it several times, the Pistons have. The Heat are another example. It is all about playing your best ball during the Playoffs.

In the end the statistics and win/loss record are showing that the Top 3 teams are all really close to each other this year. (Orlando is close but just outside this tier) So its going to come down to a few close games.