Author Topic: The real MVP is Rondo  (Read 3611 times)

The real MVP is Rondo
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:10:31 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Let's face it. If we are truly looking at the MVP by definition, it is the person who's play has the most affect on us winning and losing. That player is Rondo. We have won many games with off nights by Pierce. Survived off stretches by Ray. Had great numbers with Scal in the lineup for KG. The person that we rarely survive an off game from though is Rondo. Tonight was a perfect example. BAD Rondo showed up tonight and it cost us. When he starts over dribbling and stagnating the offense versus attacking and going to the rim we lose. When he waits until the last 5-6 seconds in the shot clock before giving PP or Ray the ball which causes them to force shots we lose. Top that off with his matador defense where instead of using his quickness to keep his feet in front of his man, he lets them blow past him and try to poke it out from behind. This is why the guy isn't an all-star quite yet. Once he can figure out how to focus and repeat the same style and effort every night the guy will be a repeat all-star whether he develops his jumper or not.

Re: The real MVP is Rondo
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 06:47:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
This can honestly be argued, when rondo plays as good as he can the C's are nearly unbeatable.  Only true agruement would be KG because of the defensive figure he brings each & every game.  I'd say KG but I do see your point.  PP is big when it matters and does everything asked.   Ray Allen for that matter does play good d etc etc he isn't just a jump shooter.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:00:56 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I'm a huge Rondo fan, but this is bunk.

"If our point guard puts up 30/10/10, we win..., therefore he's the MVP".

Part of that is consistency - and his ability to take over games by himself.  Rondo is not "Rondo" without the big three.

Gimme a break.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I think you make a valid point although I dont have numbers to back it up. When Rondo plays well this team is really at another level. When Rondo has a great game we are far and away the best team in the league but when he plays poorly we often get beat. I think though that this may be more a testament to how good our big 3 is on a regular basis.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:29:01 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
You can definitely make the case that when he is on, this team is almost unbeatable.  That is the definition of valuable.

You can also say he's not the same player without KG.  Perk is definitely not.  The team defense is definitely not.

You can also say Pierce is the MVP, heart and soul of this ball club.  He was the best player in the world last June, and he is an offensive horse down the end of close games.

You can also say Ray is quietly having the best season of them all.  How many big, big shots has this guy made for us?  MVP caliber.

We can all go round and round on this.  It's a great problem to have.  They're all very valuable to the team.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:23:40 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
You can definitely make the case that when he is on, this team is almost unbeatable.  That is the definition of valuable.

You can also say he's not the same player without KG.  Perk is definitely not.  The team defense is definitely not.

You can also say Pierce is the MVP, heart and soul of this ball club.  He was the best player in the world last June, and he is an offensive horse down the end of close games.

You can also say Ray is quietly having the best season of them all.  How many big, big shots has this guy made for us?  MVP caliber.

We can all go round and round on this.  It's a great problem to have.  They're all very valuable to the team.
I couldn't have said it any better myself. TP.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
It sounds like some of you are getting my point and some of you aren't. let me be clear. I know the big three are all better players than Rondo, and all three should be hall of fame players. I doubt Rondo ever will be. What I am saying is that while all three of them are invaluable to our team, the other guys can step up and carry the load to win games if they are playing poorly or out. Rondo on the other hand is the one guy on the team that we can't win a championship without him playing at a high level. No one can carry HIS load. If he plays poorly for most of a series we go home. The other three can play poorly for a few games and we can fight through it with others picking up the scoring load, rebounding, etc. Rondo just needs to recognize that when he comes out like he did today he can personally cost us a win. Just like he did today...

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:17:02 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
It sounds like some of you are getting my point and some of you aren't. let me be clear. I know the big three are all better players than Rondo, and all three should be hall of fame players. I doubt Rondo ever will be. What I am saying is that while all three of them are invaluable to our team, the other guys can step up and carry the load to win games if they are playing poorly or out. Rondo on the other hand is the one guy on the team that we can't win a championship without him playing at a high level. No one can carry HIS load. If he plays poorly for most of a series we go home. The other three can play poorly for a few games and we can fight through it with others picking up the scoring load, rebounding, etc. Rondo just needs to recognize that when he comes out like he did today he can personally cost us a win. Just like he did today...

I disagree.  Are you saying that there is no other point guard that can lead the Big 3 to a title?  If so, I disagree.  Once Marbury gets in shape, he can do it.  The Big 3 don't need a star point guard to win a title (just like they don't need an all-star center), just one that plays some defense, runs the team well, and hits the open shot.  but it is true that when Rondo plays like an all-star the Celtics are virtually unbeatable.  But that would go for any point guard that has a great game alongside the Big 3.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:33:38 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Marbury could take us there. By the time KG comes back I think you will see some pretty serious controversy on this board about who plays at key times with the team. I wouldn't be surprised if Marbury was closing games out. Defense is great - but being a liability on O at the point guard spot can be a pretty bad problem.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:36:35 AM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!
I take Rondo as being Ubuntu in it's physical form. If he is at his best, the others seem to operate at near top capacity.

He may not be the best player or MVP. But he, more than anyone else on the team, makes others capable of being MVP's.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:45:26 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I disagree.  Are you saying that there is no other point guard that can lead the Big 3 to a title?  If so, I disagree.  Once Marbury gets in shape, he can do it.  The Big 3 don't need a star point guard to win a title (just like they don't need an all-star center), just one that plays some defense, runs the team well, and hits the open shot.  but it is true that when Rondo plays like an all-star the Celtics are virtually unbeatable.  But that would go for any point guard that has a great game alongside the Big 3.

I am saying that at this moment Rondo is the glue to this. Right now Marbury can't do what Rondo can do. Maybe once he gets in shape he wouldn't be a big dropoff overall, but right now he can't do it. I never said anything about any OTHER point guards either. Of course Nash, or Parker, or Stockton, or some other great PG could win with us. We don't have any of those guys on our team though so I am not sure what your point is. I am talking about our team. Not some made up team that we can create. He is the cog in this that has to play well every night or we struggle.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Marbury could take us there. By the time KG comes back I think you will see some pretty serious controversy on this board about who plays at key times with the team. I wouldn't be surprised if Marbury was closing games out. Defense is great - but being a liability on O at the point guard spot can be a pretty bad problem.
Being a liability on the defense end when our team's main success revolves around our ability to play defense is a bit worse.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 12:26:23 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Being a liability on the defense end when our team's main success revolves around our ability to play defense is a bit worse.

Our second unit is not a defensively talented group. When they can't score consistently, like has been the issue all year, that doubles the problem with that unit. Since Powe, House,  and BBD aren't going to magically grow 5 inches each and become great defenders, we needed to address the offensive side of things. Marbury and Moore gives us the ability to hopefully score with people on that second side to not go into negative production. That is why I want to cut Gabe and sign Bonzi. He can't really defend much either, but he does score at will on second units and would give us even more depth. Offense is the only thing that can save that second squad. I don't care if they give up 20-25 points to the other bench if they can score that themselves. I'll take a wash from the second squad about now.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 12:32:13 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Rondo is not the MVP. This can be summed up in one word...GLUE, He is the GLUE.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:38:50 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

So why create a thread with a misleading title, if that's not what you mean.

What you are describing does not sound like an MVP to me.
God bless and good night!