Author Topic: EPL 2013/2014  (Read 33151 times)

Re: EPL 2013/2014
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
He'll get his shot.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
West Ham smash Tottenham 3-0 at White Hart Lane with 3 goals in 13 minutes. :o Just heard the commentator say the last time the Hammers won there Frank Lampard and Rio Ferdinand were playing for West Ham!
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2013, 11:13:43 AM »

• Bailey Howell
  • Community Text
Well, it had to happen some time. Totenham will likely bounce back anyway and get back in the title hunt.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2013, 04:29:42 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don`t think that the Spurs can be considered title contenders....yet

CL spot contenders definately but the title will be decided between City and Chelsea. (unless something extrordinary happens during the winter transfers)

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »

• Bailey Howell
  • Community Text
Apparently Americans make up 2.89% of footballers in the league. http://mobile.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24464020
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 01:21:41 AM »

• Bailey Howell
  • Community Text
Totenham in real crisis now. 6-0 beating by City, now 5-0 loss to Liverpool.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 03:52:18 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
Disappointed to see AVB get sacked.

I think he is getting blamed for structural problems within Spurs' squad. Not nearly enough creativity in the final third of the pitch for Tottenham to be able to play his preferred style of football.

Unfortunately for AVB, he is not the most flexible of managers so I agree with the opinion that he hasn't gotten as much out of that team as he could. But I would still stick with him and his long term vision for the club. Ride out this bad patch and keep building. I think AVB is a guy who could have been good for Spurs in the long run.

Things I don't like about Spurs attacking play:

* Strikers = Soldado is a limited No.9. Terrific finisher but doesn't do much else. Offers too little in build up play, dribbling, playing off the shoulder, in the air or down the channels. Doesn't create for others. Relies too much on his teammates to be worth €30 million.  Defoe still has his issues. Adebayor is the most talented striker at Spurs but he has been awful for the last 18 months. Lots of problems.

* Wide players = all too similar. Not enough end product. Not enough passing ability. Not from wide areas with crosses or when cutting inside with through balls + link up play. They need someone like Santi Cazorla there on one wing to balance out someone like Andros Townsend playing as an inverse winger on the inside. Lamela, Townsend, Chadli and to a lesser extent Lennon (their best wing) are too similar and none of them provide enough top quality talent.

* Christian Eriksen = love him. Best player at Spurs for my money. But there is way too much pressure on him in terms of creative passing and linking the play together in the final third. He is the only guy who frequently looks capable of linking the play together in congested areas of the pitch + and of delivering that killer pass to create those quality goal-scoring opportunities for Spurs. Tottenham gotta get him more help. They are way too reliant on him. Need to share the load. The wings should be the ones to provide that help. 

* Holding midfielders = A lack of creativity here as well. That wouldn't be a problem if the wide players and/or the forwards did more to create chances but they don't so the holding midfielders are (somewhat) of an issue too. Shame they sold Tom Huddlestone who is having a great season at Hull. I think he could have done a great job for Spurs this season.

I do like their holding midfielders but they gotta get more creativity higher up on the pitch if they are gonna stick with this group. Sandro and Capoue are strong ball-winners. Very happy with Paulinho. I think he is one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the league. Dembele is very good too. I wonder if it is a bit too much of the same with the four of them though. I'd love to see more of a passer there. A Moutinho type. I think that could have helped Spurs majorly.

--------------------------------

I expect the next manager to be someone more pragmatic who creates an identity more suited to Spurs personnel than AVB's way of trying to force players to adapt to his style and philosophy of playing.

And I expect that is going to look like more of a counter-attacking team than a possession based attacking identity due to Spurs limitations in the final third creatively.

I know Spurs fans have been unhappy with the team's dull attacking play but I think things could get more defensive-minded under the next manager. Drop that high line and move the defenders further back. Maybe even switch that midfield triangle with Eriksen at the top to an inverse triangle with Sandro as holding midfielder and two box-to-box midfielders ahead of him (Dembele + Paulinho).

Sort of like Mourinho's first Chelsea team that top defensive backline, Makelele in front of them and then Lampard + Essien as box-to-box. Very physical counter attacking team. Then break with pace down the flanks. I think this Spurs squad would be really good at that.

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 02:00:29 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I don`t think that the performance of the team was the main problem here. The last two results can`t be explained in terms of wrong tactics.

It looks more like that he has lost the dressing room. 11-0 in two games is way too strange and regardless of the holes in the roster the spurs are too talented for this kind of results

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2014, 05:36:27 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Absolutely disgusted with Chelsea for selling Juan Mata to Man Utd. Especially after they wouldn't sell Rooney. This will kick start their revival.

Another season as a 2nd-4th also ran. The utter stupidity of that team's decisions is just too much.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2014, 06:47:55 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
I was pretty angry about it yesterday (selling Juan Mata). More disappointed today.

It's a shame to see Chelsea move away from the pretty attacking possession based football team they were building but if you are going to hire Jose Mourinho you have to let him run the team the way he sees fit. I just wish they'd hired someone else. Kept building that attacking side

----------------------------------------------

Worst fears coming to life with Mourinho. Selling Mata. Putting the shackles on the team's attacking play.

More and more onus on defending and quick transitions. Worried about David Luiz now. Mourinho seems to be having a lot of problems with him. Also hate how much Ivanovic (defensive full back) was playing in front of Azpilicueta (attacking full back) at RB. Took an injury to Ashley Cole and a switch to LB to get Azzie a good run of games. 

--------------------------------------

Now with Matic back, I would have loved to see Oscar slide back into Frank Lampard's box to box role and play Oscar alongside Matic at the base of midfield. Then use Mata as #10.

I think Oscar has all the attributes necessary to make it as a box to box player. Oscar is more of a combative attacking midfielder than a creative playmaker anyway. Like Hamsik, Kevin Prince Boateng or Freddy Guarin. Those guys are very adaptable if falling back into a deeper midfield role.

I don't think it needed to be an either or situation. There was a place for both of them in the same side. Pretty [dang] unhappy Mourinho chose the defensive minded one over the creative passer.

Always thought Oscar would be a perfect attacking midfield for Jose's system. Mourinho's type of player.

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2014, 09:28:02 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
It looks like MU is in panic mode again

Mata is world class no question about that
But he much play behind the striker. Where Rooney plays.
I can`t see how they can fit in the same line up.

Mata isn`t a winger
Rooney isn`t a winger.

Kagawa is pretty good example (although not in the same league as Mata). He is forced to play as winger and he is half the player he was with Dortmund.

I hope Moyes has a plan cause MU really needs a quality player like Mata

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »

• Bailey Howell
  • Community Text
Chelsea still have Hazard, Willian and Oscar, and apparently they are going after Ross Barkley.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2014, 05:43:39 AM »

• Bailey Howell
  • Community Text
February, that time of the year when Arsenal's season falls apart. Liverpool with the 1st stab wound.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
The same time when MU usually goes hot. But won`t happen this season  :'( ... So  arsenal may surprise us and keep it together ....

I`d rather see Venger lift the trophy than pelegrini oro jose