Author Topic: "The Dark Knight" movie review and discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 31921 times)

Re: "The Dark Knight" movie review and discussion (SPOILERS)
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
remember that there were 3 robins, one of which was KIA. that could be real enough to add in the movies.
Nah... if they were ever going to use a robin it would HAVE to be Dick Grayson... and they already said that Robin does not fit in the world. 

Also, I seriously doubt they are going to use some obscure characters in this interpretation of TDK.   

The whole Talia/Ra's Al Ghul thing is extremely important in the comics, but hasn't really been explored much in the movies, tv shows or cartoons.  This is partially why people dismiss it, but that dynamic between the three is pretty important to Batman.   Ra's wants Bruce to be the heir to his criminal empire... Talia and Bruce fall in love (in one comic they even get married temporarily and have a son together... although Talia fakes a miscarriage)...    And the Nolan series took the relationship with Ra's Al Ghul even further by basically making him the mentor/enemy to Batman and the one who inspired him to become the symbol and legend.  It just makes too much sense to tie the trilogy together with a return of Ra's.    I'd be perfectly happy with a Joker cameo, additional cameos from other characters (example:  Penguin can be in it, but I'd just have him as a mob boss (no deformities)... basically taking the Falcone/Maroni role in the film) and perhaps another villain such as the Riddler... 

But the 3 act story would make sense to wrap up with Al Ghul returning in some capacity.  And they would NOT need a "lazarus pit" to explain his return.  Last we saw him, he was closing his eyes jedi style as the train was about to explode... but he's a master ninja.  I'm positive he found a way to get out of there.  :)

You get a TP for referencing the 3 act arc.

I'm sold by all these posts.  A Talia and Ra's combo would work.  But I still really want to The Riddler portrayed in these films... his character would fit so perfectly.  And not some throwaway "semi villain" like Scarecrow.  I can easily see him working with Ra's and Talia, or being used by them.

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2008, 06:11:18 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
This movie is making a ton of money...I can't see how there won't be a 3rd film, even if Nolan or Bale aren't in it.

(Someone will make another Batman movie...)

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2008, 08:50:11 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
I loved this film, it was all I wanted it to be.

The best dissappearing pen trick of all-time.

Here are some of my thoughts and theories about a next movie;

While I thought Ledger was absolutley brilliant, I think it would be a shame to dismiss the Joker from this series when the character has soo much potential, especially with the possibilty of a Harley-Quinn relationship developing now he's in Arkham... it would be hard to replace him, but I think it needs to be considered.

I'd also like to see Poison Ivy make an appearance, but not in a traditional way. I think it would be a good idea to just have her as a powerful and manipulative love interest of bruce wayne, sort of like her portrayal in the long halloween comic series where she infects and clouds his judgement, however without her power to control plant life. Charlise  Theron Please! ;D

It seemed to me like the ending of this movie really leads to the idea of an antagonist seeking batman's true identity, which definently gives the chance of the riddler surfacing, maybe just as a private detector like he has been portrayed lately in comics (So I've been told). Leo Dicaprio would be great as many of you have mentioned. Perhaps some darkhorse possibilities could be Edward Norton or bob Downey jr.

Whatever happens, I have great faith now in Nolan creating a great ending to a trilogy or whatever he might have in mind! 

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2008, 09:05:47 AM »

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
Saw the movie once, going to see it a second time on IMAX today! The movie is so good!

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2008, 10:22:31 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
This was by far my favorite super hero movie.  I'd actually give it a 5 out of 5 stars, and I am a very harsh movie critic, especially of "blockbusters". (I'm quite the snob, actually)

Firstly, because the writing for the joker was excellent and Heath Ledger pulled off the character as I never hoped.  He was convincingly crazy.  Not typical hollywood CUCKOO CUCKOO crazy, or I-hurt-people-because-I'm-evil crazy.  He seemed like a legitimate psychopath.  Heath Ledger managed to portray the Joker as when he was at his absolute best (ex: the killing joke).  I was not a fan of Heath Ledger's but after seeing this movie I find myself actually a little saddened he can't act in the future.  His Joker is possibly, in my opinion, the greatest portrayal of a psychopathic villain in a film (of course, temper this by the fact that I was the movie about 18 hours ago... let's see if it stands the test of time). 

Probably my favorite aspect of his portrayal was how unfunny I thought he was.  He was saying dialogue that was written humourous, but his inflections and facial expressions made it the opposite.  I was a little peeved at people laughing at every single joke - not sure if I'm being an elitist but I got the feeling they were giving the cheap laugh to something that wasn't made to be funny.  It was the complexity of the dialogue and performance that these were funny jokes, told in an unfunny manner.  I think some people didn't get that.  (EDIT - yeah, I do sound like an elitist).

Secondly, Christian Bale continued to impress showing Batman as he was written by Frank Miller, at his best - truly dark and brooding, but a hero.

The plot moved at a good clip, the action scenes were entertaining, and the small touches really made it work (come on... the diversion was a fire truck--- on fire! perfect joker!).  The jokes were a bit too much, but they were honestly funny. 

I would complain that at many times the dialogue was more than a little ham-handed with two-face pretty much narrating his downfall.

I can't wait to buy it on DVD and decide if this movie can crack my top 20 all timers... I'm optimistic.

As far as the sequel - it's very sad we can't see another Joker.  As good as, for example, Johnny Depp is, he could not follow up this portrayal.  They would be foolish to incorporate him.

I think the best option would be The Riddler, as characters like Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy don't really fit into this realistic portrayal.  The Riddler seems a natural choice.  I hope it isn't catwoman I can't see her working in these versions... nor the penguin, really, not unless they completely changed his character.  I remember Rad Al Ghul had a daughter in the comic books, that might work.  And I wouldn't put it past anyone to bring Two-face back.

Side note - I kind of wish they hadn't made scare-crow into sort of a "b level" villain in these films.  He has the capability to be an awesome villain.

Bane is a distinct possibility, but I never liked his character myself.  I hope it is The Riddler (thought - per the rumor post, I don't think the accountant could be recast... these films draw far too big name stars for their main roles, and I have no idea who played the accountant).

WOW... long post... I really loved this film.

please start a post listing your all-time top 20.... :D

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2008, 11:41:41 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
This was by far my favorite super hero movie.  I'd actually give it a 5 out of 5 stars, and I am a very harsh movie critic, especially of "blockbusters". (I'm quite the snob, actually)

Firstly, because the writing for the joker was excellent and Heath Ledger pulled off the character as I never hoped.  He was convincingly crazy.  Not typical hollywood CUCKOO CUCKOO crazy, or I-hurt-people-because-I'm-evil crazy.  He seemed like a legitimate psychopath.  Heath Ledger managed to portray the Joker as when he was at his absolute best (ex: the killing joke).  I was not a fan of Heath Ledger's but after seeing this movie I find myself actually a little saddened he can't act in the future.  His Joker is possibly, in my opinion, the greatest portrayal of a psychopathic villain in a film (of course, temper this by the fact that I was the movie about 18 hours ago... let's see if it stands the test of time). 

Probably my favorite aspect of his portrayal was how unfunny I thought he was.  He was saying dialogue that was written humourous, but his inflections and facial expressions made it the opposite.  I was a little peeved at people laughing at every single joke - not sure if I'm being an elitist but I got the feeling they were giving the cheap laugh to something that wasn't made to be funny.  It was the complexity of the dialogue and performance that these were funny jokes, told in an unfunny manner.  I think some people didn't get that.  (EDIT - yeah, I do sound like an elitist).

Secondly, Christian Bale continued to impress showing Batman as he was written by Frank Miller, at his best - truly dark and brooding, but a hero.

The plot moved at a good clip, the action scenes were entertaining, and the small touches really made it work (come on... the diversion was a fire truck--- on fire! perfect joker!).  The jokes were a bit too much, but they were honestly funny. 

I would complain that at many times the dialogue was more than a little ham-handed with two-face pretty much narrating his downfall.

I can't wait to buy it on DVD and decide if this movie can crack my top 20 all timers... I'm optimistic.

As far as the sequel - it's very sad we can't see another Joker.  As good as, for example, Johnny Depp is, he could not follow up this portrayal.  They would be foolish to incorporate him.

I think the best option would be The Riddler, as characters like Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy don't really fit into this realistic portrayal.  The Riddler seems a natural choice.  I hope it isn't catwoman I can't see her working in these versions... nor the penguin, really, not unless they completely changed his character.  I remember Rad Al Ghul had a daughter in the comic books, that might work.  And I wouldn't put it past anyone to bring Two-face back.

Side note - I kind of wish they hadn't made scare-crow into sort of a "b level" villain in these films.  He has the capability to be an awesome villain.

Bane is a distinct possibility, but I never liked his character myself.  I hope it is The Riddler (thought - per the rumor post, I don't think the accountant could be recast... these films draw far too big name stars for their main roles, and I have no idea who played the accountant).

WOW... long post... I really loved this film.

please start a post listing your all-time top 20.... :D

That post will take a long time to write...

I better wait until I'm at work  ;D

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Finally saw the movie last night... and I thought it was really really good (but did drag slightly in places).  Definitely the best movie I have seen so far this year.

1. Ledger was amazing. 
2. Bale is perfect for Batman.  I have no problem with the voice.  It has to be masked in some way, would you rather it be deep and gruff or high and whiny?
3. No problem with Maggie G.
4. Many of the fight scenes were too fast (although this did add to the comic book feel of it all).
5. Funniest one-liner by the Joker to Batman: "You.... complete me"
6. Can't wait to see it on IMAX; can't wait for the third installment (I suspect 2-face will be back; other than that I leave the speculation to others).
7. I bet there will be a director's cut at some point.  There are probably other scenes with Ledger that people (including me) will want to see.  There were also scenes that looked like they were cut because of violence: (1) Joker cutting the mouth of the gangster (who died just from the cut mouth??); (2) Lau on top of the pile of money that was burned -- presumably he burned to death?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2008, 03:48:30 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
saw it, loved it - best Batman yet

the pencil trick was awesome
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2008, 03:48:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I loved this film, it was all I wanted it to be.

The best dissappearing pen trick of all-time.

Here are some of my thoughts and theories about a next movie;

While I thought Ledger was absolutley brilliant, I think it would be a shame to dismiss the Joker from this series when the character has soo much potential, especially with the possibilty of a Harley-Quinn relationship developing now he's in Arkham... it would be hard to replace him, but I think it needs to be considered.

I'd also like to see Poison Ivy make an appearance, but not in a traditional way. I think it would be a good idea to just have her as a powerful and manipulative love interest of bruce wayne, sort of like her portrayal in the long halloween comic series where she infects and clouds his judgement, however without her power to control plant life. Charlise  Theron Please! ;D

It seemed to me like the ending of this movie really leads to the idea of an antagonist seeking batman's true identity, which definently gives the chance of the riddler surfacing, maybe just as a private detector like he has been portrayed lately in comics (So I've been told). Leo Dicaprio would be great as many of you have mentioned. Perhaps some darkhorse possibilities could be Edward Norton or bob Downey jr.

Whatever happens, I have great faith now in Nolan creating a great ending to a trilogy or whatever he might have in mind! 

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2008, 02:59:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Remember Siskel and Ebert? Well one of the guys on the show that show became said he thought it was probably the best superhero film ever, and i completely agree. I'd like to see Ledger nominated for best actor and the film nominated best film.

It was not just the best, but the most meaningful. The art perfectly reflects our time with evil, intrigue, and torture playing major roles. kids shouldn't watch it.

Batman is fundamentally different from all other major superheroes in that he doesn't have super powers and the film showed us that. It also showed how real heroes are cops that can't hide their faces and don't have unlimited resources and who's families are even on the line.

I hope the next film is totally different. For example there is a subplot in the DC universe that Batman was the only superhero with kryptonite just in case Superman went rogue. I'd love to see that.

During the Depression when nobody had money for stuff like comics Superman and Batman were the only ones that survived. There's a reason and this film essentially shows us why.

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2008, 07:46:12 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
just want to quickly give my thoughts on this film.

heath ledger deserves an oscar for this. his portrayal of the joker was one of the best performances in decades. he turned that joker into one of the worst villains ever. credit where it's due, he's oscar worthy in my book. r.i.p.

christian bale was also outstanding. i would pay to watch that guy act. and there's maybe one other actor around that age i'd say that about - edward norton - and a handful of older ones. the guy is the total package and is the best batman ever.

the only part i didn't like was the sonar spying system. i wanted the boats to blow up, but the reasons for them not blowing up were perfectly acceptable.

the film, gets 5 stars from me and a 9.5/10. it's a fair reflection on today's world in more ways than one, the society being good and society being bad part.

that's a summary of my thoughts.

one last thing, there should never be another joker. never. that will not be topped.

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
just want to quickly give my thoughts on this film.

heath ledger deserves an oscar for this. his portrayal of the joker was one of the best performances in decades. he turned that joker into one of the worst villains ever. credit where it's due, he's oscar worthy in my book. r.i.p.

christian bale was also outstanding. i would pay to watch that guy act. and there's maybe one other actor around that age i'd say that about - edward norton - and a handful of older ones. the guy is the total package and is the best batman ever.

the only part i didn't like was the sonar spying system. i wanted the boats to blow up, but the reasons for them not blowing up were perfectly acceptable.

the film, gets 5 stars from me and a 9.5/10. it's a fair reflection on today's world in more ways than one, the society being good and society being bad part.

that's a summary of my thoughts.

one last thing, there should never be another joker. never. that will not be topped.

There were some rumors floating around yesterday that they are looking to cast someone like Johnny Depp to play the Riddler, but I'm not so sure about that.   The same kind of thing happened last year... a lot of names were thrown around and a lot of curve balls were tossed to the fanboys until eventually the Heath Ledger thing became official.   

I agree for the most part that Heath should not be replaced.  But... I also think if the intention was the create a trilogy and they already had plans in mind that involved a cameo of some sorts by the Joker, they probably need to recast the character.   If we see the madman in Arkham in a straight jacket and his head bowed, I'm all for it.   In a scenario like that, you could probably use some archived footage of unused takes to throw some cackles and laughs in.   

But if you think back to like... the Green Goblin's little cameo in Spider-man 2, it wasn't really necessary, but it was still cool.   If the writers didn't really need him as a crucial part of the plot... just forget about him and move on out of respect for Heath.

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
I agree for the most part that Heath should not be replaced.  But... I also think if the intention was the create a trilogy and they already had plans in mind that involved a cameo of some sorts by the Joker, they probably need to recast the character.   If we see the madman in Arkham in a straight jacket and his head bowed, I'm all for it.   In a scenario like that, you could probably use some archived footage of unused takes to throw some cackles and laughs in.  

But if you think back to like... the Green Goblin's little cameo in Spider-man 2, it wasn't really necessary, but it was still cool.   If the writers didn't really need him as a crucial part of the plot... just forget about him and move on out of respect for Heath.

i think seeing the joker in a straight jacket would diminish any reputation he created for himself in the dark knight. i'd hate to see the joker look weak.

to tell you the truth, i don't see how they can top this film. the riddler would be my choice if they make a third (they will) but i hope they don't.

i don't see the film being topped and i don't see a villain coming close to the joker.

i would just absolutely hate to see another joker. if it's archived footage of heath ledger, fine. if it's a new joker i'd seriously consider boycotting it, depending on who it was.

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2008, 08:00:45 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
i forgot to add. film of the year so far, and one of the best this decade. could easily find a home in my top 10 or even top 5 someday.

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2008, 08:11:12 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I have it as 97 of the top 100 of all time...
Now, on to 18...