Poll

After this season if it came down to it, would you choose to keep CBS or Irving?

Brad Stevens
22 (84.6%)
Kyrie Irving
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: If can only choose one to keep after this season - Stevens or Irving (poll)  (Read 9798 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
These two have a small history of butting heads this season.  Irving recently has criticized Celts method/defense/CBS in the way they were guarding Kemba Walker.... maybe something "clicks" come playoff time, but not optimistic about it

IF after this season Irving hints that he can't stay if CBS does....  who would you choose to keep??

- Coach Stevens - The team has made the ECF twice under his watch recently.  The problem is that he has been that "one player" short each time.  OR regardless, maybe he doesn't know how to seal the deal.  Happened coaching Butler twice also.   This seasons turmoil/rocky season also makes you wonder about his ability to deal with egos/dressing room

- Kyrie Irving - He has won a championship and has been it to the finals on multiple occasions. But was he mainly the passenger or a key player in those runs?  Last season a Kyrieless Cavs also were able to the make the finals.  Irving wants to be the main attraction on the team (offense) and has on several occasions suggested that Robert Williams get more mins, for defensive help/guessing to bail him out at times.

IF CBS is the one to stay, Celtics must rely on Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Rozier (probably resigned), Smart to assist the help to try to make it to the finals

IF Irving is the one to stay, a new coach is hired (one that is more compatible with Irving),  Celts go all in for Davis (even if it takes a ton - Tatum + Brown) and round out the roster by trading for/signing guys like Ariza, PJ Tucker type super role players. Start looking more and more like the Houston Rockets/OKC Thunder

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I don't want to keep Kyrie if he insists on a new coach.  CBS has his flaws but he did nothing but improve this team during his first 5 seasons in Boston.  It would be shortsighted to fire him after the first major setback of his coaching career. 

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I like watching teams that buy into Brad’s system. I like reading about how much they love being around each other. I like that Celtics team.

This team isn’t fun to watch, listen to, or read about right now.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I like watching teams that buy into Brad’s system. I like reading about how much they love being around each other. I like that Celtics team.

Well put.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Both.
If I had to choose, I'd pick that squeeling fans have to wear skirts.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

+1

I'd much rather root for a lovable underdog team that outperforms its talent and ultimately hits a ceiling than spend another year watching a miserable but talented team sulk their way through the regular season.

Keeping Kyrie makes more logical, cold-hearted sense, particularly if he's willing to commit long term (e.g. 3+ years).

Keeping Brad feels like the right choice.  Kyrie can take his passive aggressive, narcissistic, arrogant schtick to New York or wherever.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Small guards don't win championships.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Small guards don't win championships.

Coaches do?

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The problem I see, is that Irving doesn't fully respect/buy into what Stevens is selling

I don't know if its ...  hey I have a ring plus many trips to the finals... and you don't

Or just different philosophies

But this lack of respect could change quickly if CBS pulls out a rabbit out of the hat and the Celts keep rolling in the playoffs. May open Irvings eyes

unless this won't be allowed as Kyrie (the Kyrie Show) has another idea

In Cleveland, I really don't know if Lue did any coaching.  Basically Bron has 1st say, Irving has 2nd and the rest of the other guys support/make your open shots and play tough defense

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
All I know is I liked Doc a lot more than I like Brad.

And it seems players respect him more.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

You don't think prior to this season the team respected CBS?

why did they play so hard for him then

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Brad can motivate players with a chip on their shoulder.  That's not the same as respect.  That's playing to prove something.

Championship teams are made of stars and a coach who commands enough respect to get those stars to buy in.

People are going to be p---ed if Kyrie leaves to team up with Kawhi on the Clippers.  Just watch Doc get Kyrie to buy into what he's selling.

Ainge should be pressing Balmer/West hard to see what it would take to get him back.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, I mean, Isaiah Thomas, Evan Turner, Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley, Amir Johnson, etc.

So many players who clearly didn't respect Brad and didn't play hard for him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Brad can motivate players with a chip on their shoulder.  That's not the same as respect.  That's playing to prove something.

Championship teams are made of stars and a coach who commands enough respect to get those stars to buy in.

People are going to be p---ed if Kyrie leaves to team up with Kawhi on the Clippers.  Just watch Doc get Kyrie to buy into what he's selling.

Ainge should be pressing Balmer/West hard to see what it would take to get him back.

How can you get back a coach

who ditched the team in the 1st place?

ok ditch is kind of harsh, but he just didn't want to deal with another rebuild

He got his ovation.... he won't return/be sought after by the Celtics

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Yeah, I mean, Isaiah Thomas, Evan Turner, Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley, Amir Johnson, etc.

So many players who clearly didn't respect Brad and didn't play hard for him.

They were playing to prove themselves.  Every single one of them was a player who felt they were being undervalued.

Rondo clearly didn't respect him.

Brad just doesn't have that kind of cache.  Stars dismiss him.