Author Topic: Draft: Who do you want at #7?  (Read 33717 times)

Re: Draft: Who do you want at #7?
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2015, 11:50:47 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Let's say we pick 4th and pick up a wing like Oubre or Johnson, and we think that WCS will fall to 7 or 8 where someone like Orlando or Indiana is picking.

Since they're probaly not interested in WCS, do you think we could get them to pick for us under the condition that we trade them either Sully or KO along with the Clips pick and future picks?

Something like:

Indy picks WCS at 7 or 8 then sends him to Boston for KO, 2015 Clips Pick, 2016 Cavs pick, 2016 Mavs pick (protect it for the lottery on top of the protections already on it)

This would give us a lineup of:
PG: Smart, Turner
SG: Young, Bradley
SF: Johnson/Oubre, Crowder
PF:Sully
C: WCS,Zeller

Would something like this be feasible, and would you do it?

If Indy was stupid enough to offer a 7 or 8 pick for three picks in the mid 20's, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  In last year's draft, Chicago gave up the #16 and #19 just to move up to #11 to take McDermott.  You'd be doing good to get the #15 pick for three picks in the mid 20's over two drafts.  If Indy doesn't want WCS, there will be plenty of other good players available.  Looney seems like he would be a good fit.
Sully or KO would be the real prize for that trade, especially since either one of them would fit great next to Hibbert with West starting to deteriorate. The picks are just the cherries on top.
Sully and especially KO are hardly prizes at all.  Certainly not worth giving up a 7 or 8 pick.  No opposing GMs are banging Ainge's door down trying to acquire either of them.  Looney would be a better West replacement.  He's considered a good defender which Sully and KO most definitely are not.  I'd rather have Porzingis or WCS than Sully or KO.  If Indy wants to trade down, Chicago with two picks in the teens would be a better partner.   

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2015, 02:26:48 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
D'Angelo Russell.

I'm sold. A kid who can shoot and has tremendous vision and good feel for the game? Yes please.

Don't like his athleticism. He might struggle on the next level because of it. Plus, athleticism, top to bottom, is probably one of the biggest weaknesses on our roster.

Get you on athleticism, but then lets find a way to work with that deficiency of his. You don't pass on a player with that kind of talent.

The kid can score, shoot, pass and is very skilled. And it's not like he's a slowpoke. I finally started watching some Ohio State games and while he's not super quick, he doesnt seem to look like a guy with average speed. He's alright.

I mean, Jabari Parker isn't super athletic either, but he seems to be doing just fine before he went down. Players that are ultra skilled and has that kind of poise and feel for the game, OH! Where do I sign up?

Just for the OOOOH's, he did this a while ago. His teammate didn't do justice by blowing the layup but...

https://vine.co/v/Ojr5rwWAli3
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2015, 02:31:20 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Let's say we pick 4th and pick up a wing like Oubre or Johnson, and we think that WCS will fall to 7 or 8 where someone like Orlando or Indiana is picking.

Since they're probaly not interested in WCS, do you think we could get them to pick for us under the condition that we trade them either Sully or KO along with the Clips pick and future picks?

Something like:

Indy picks WCS at 7 or 8 then sends him to Boston for KO, 2015 Clips Pick, 2016 Cavs pick, 2016 Mavs pick (protect it for the lottery on top of the protections already on it)

If Indy was stupid enough to offer a 7 or 8 pick for three picks in the mid 20's, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  In last year's draft, Chicago gave up the #16 and #19 just to move up to #11 to take McDermott.  You'd be doing good to get the #15 pick for three picks in the mid 20's over two drafts.  If Indy doesn't want WCS, there will be plenty of other good players available.  Looney seems like he would be a good fit.
Sully or KO would be the real prize for that trade, especially since either one of them would fit great next to Hibbert with West starting to deteriorate. The picks are just the cherries on top.
Sully and especially KO are hardly prizes at all.  Certainly not worth giving up a 7 or 8 pick.  No opposing GMs are banging Ainge's door down trying to acquire either of them.  Looney would be a better West replacement.  He's considered a good defender which Sully and KO most definitely are not.  I'd rather have Porzingis or WCS than Sully or KO.  If Indy wants to trade down, Chicago with two picks in the teens would be a better partner.

I'd rather have Sullinger and KO over WCS.

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2015, 02:44:35 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
D'Angelo Russell.

I'm sold. A kid who can shoot and has tremendous vision and good feel for the game? Yes please.

Don't like his athleticism. He might struggle on the next level because of it. Plus, athleticism, top to bottom, is probably one of the biggest weaknesses on our roster.

Get you on athleticism, but then lets find a way to work with that deficiency of his. You don't pass on a player with that kind of talent.

The kid can score, shoot, pass and is very skilled. And it's not like he's a slowpoke. I finally started watching some Ohio State games and while he's not super quick, he doesnt seem to look like a guy with average speed. He's alright.

I mean, Jabari Parker isn't super athletic either, but he seems to be doing just fine before he went down. Players that are ultra skilled and has that kind of poise and feel for the game, OH! Where do I sign up?

Just for the OOOOH's, he did this a while ago. His teammate didn't do justice by blowing the layup but...

For a kid who's 6'5", he doesn't look like too bad an athlete to me.  I see him splitting the D on high picks, finishing strong, getting in passing lanes on defense.  Has nice court vision - a little flashy.  He pulled down 14 rebounds against Iowa.  Has a high dribble, but great handles.  Odd shooting form, but they go in.  I think the knocks on his athleticism might be overstated.

I like what I see.

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
D'Angelo Russell.

For a kid who's 6'5", he doesn't look like too bad an athlete to me.  I see him splitting the D on high picks, finishing strong, getting in passing lanes on defense.  Has nice court vision - a little flashy.  He pulled down 14 rebounds against Iowa.  Has a high dribble, but great handles.  Odd shooting form, but they go in.  I think the knocks on his athleticism might be overstated.

I like what I see.

He looks Ginobili-like in those youtube videos. Ginobili wasn't a great athlete either (more of an average athlete with good size) but he was highly skilled and extremely crafty. Looks like Russell has some similar qualities. His jump-shot is very impressive and his ball-handling & playmaking are quite advanced for a young SG.

He looks impressive. It'll be interesting to see in future NCAA games how he fares against NBA caliber defenders / athletes. If his production drops off much or not. I remember Evan Turner had great stat-lines at Ohio State because of a weak schedule they play and then ended up struggling against a lot of the bigger teams. Some people correctly predicted his NBA struggles based on that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:34:55 AM by Who »

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2015, 09:16:36 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
D'Angelo Russell.

I like what I see.

He looks Ginobili-like in that video. Ginobili wasn't a great athlete either (more of an average athlete with good size) but he was highly skilled and extremely crafty. Looks like Russell has some similar qualities. His jump-shot is very impressive and his ball-handling & playmaking are quite advanced for a young SG.

He looks impressive. It'll be interesting to see in future NCAA games how he fares against NBA caliber defenders / athletes. If his production drops off much or not. I remember Evan Turner had great stat-lines at Ohio State because of a weak schedule they play and then ended up struggling against a lot of the bigger teams. Some people correctly predicted his NBA struggles based on that.

Can James Young be a SF?

I ask because if you take Russel and Young can't be a SF, you're bumping one of Smart or Young out of the starting lineup eventually.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2015, 09:23:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
D'Angelo Russell.

I like what I see.

He looks Ginobili-like in that video. Ginobili wasn't a great athlete either (more of an average athlete with good size) but he was highly skilled and extremely crafty. Looks like Russell has some similar qualities. His jump-shot is very impressive and his ball-handling & playmaking are quite advanced for a young SG.

Can James Young be a SF?

I ask because if you take Russel and Young can't be a SF, you're bumping one of Smart or Young out of the starting lineup eventually.

Ainge said that (I think it was Ainge - I can't quite remember) he thought James Young would be up around 230-235lbs when he is fully developed physically.

So yes, if that is the case, I think James Young can play the SF position. He has good size (6-7) and length (7-0, 8-8 standing reach).

I see no reason why he can't play the SF position in the future.

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
D'Angelo Russell.

I like what I see.

Can James Young be a SF?

Ainge said that (I think it was Ainge - I can't quite remember) he thought James Young would be up around 230-235lbs when he is fully developed physically.

So yes, if that is the case, I think James Young can play the SF position. He has good size (6-7) and length (7-0, 8-8 standing reach).

I see no reason why he can't play the SF position in the future.

Ainge only said that because he just resigned Bradley. Young is not a SF, he's too small to guard the contemporary bigger and/or stronger SFs (James, Durant, George, Parsons, Melo). His body reminds of Kobe's in his first years. And he can be more like Harden or Klay.

And well, don't listen to me, listen to Young himself (at 1'23''):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcwPWKwOR08&list=UUMfT9dr6xC_RIWoA9hI0meQ

Russell looks very good. But we should bring a SF like Johnson or Winslow.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2015, 10:01:25 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Something like:

I'd rather have Sullinger and KO over WCS.
I was focusing on the Indy perspective.  If I were them, I definitely prefer WCS over KO.  Sully would be a closer call but I'd go with WCS because of his defense.  My main concern with WCS is his desire to play basketball.  On a contending team like Indy, I'd be less concerned.  On the C's, I'd be concerned that the losing would affect his work ethic.   

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2015, 10:21:12 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
D'Angelo Russell.

I like what I see.

Can James Young be a SF?

Smart and Young haven't done enough yet to be penciled in as future starters and the C's don't have enough talent to justify taking a lesser player for positional needs.  Ainge needs to take the BPA regardless of position with focus on the player's upside.  If you take Russell and all three develop into starters but can't all effectively start together, there will be plenty of trading partners for good talent on an affordable contract. 

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
D'Angelo Russell.

I like what I see.

Can James Young be a SF?

Smart and Young haven't done enough yet to be penciled in as future starters and the C's don't have enough talent to justify taking a lesser player for positional needs.  Ainge needs to take the BPA regardless of position with focus on the player's upside.  If you take Russell and all three develop into starters but can't all effectively start together, there will be plenty of trading partners for good talent on an affordable contract.

Of course you take BPA, but if Ainge has very similar grades on Russel and say, Winslow, he would probably draft Winslow.

You don't downgrade from you B+ guy to a C+ guy due to position, but if one guy is an A- and the other guy is a B+ but is a position of much more need, i think most GM's take the B+ guy.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2015, 10:30:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
NOBODY!!! That is why we must Tank hard for Okafor.

I hate losing , but this is the correct plan. Based on what we can expect . Team is not competitive with true good teams ...like out west . 

Losing out for the number one pick by  6-9 wins is plain dumb.

The first pic is worth too much to trade for say 10 meaningless wins ........finishing 14 W or 24 wins .....is still the same ...a awful losing season.......I think Danny at this point should dump Bass and Thornton and do what NY and Philly are doing ....play with d leaguers

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2015, 10:50:17 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
still saying we'll end up with 4th worst record.  won't have worry about who'll be available at 7

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2015, 10:55:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/DAngelo-Russell-vs-Louisville-Video-Analysis-4802/

Good video breakdown of D'Angelo Russell vs one of top defensive teams in Louisville.

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/DAngelo-Russell-vs-Louisville-Video-Analysis-4802/

Good video breakdown of D'Angelo Russell vs one of top defensive teams in Louisville.
Solid game.  His jumper wasn't falling, but Louisville is good.

Russell is definitely a PG.  If we were to draft him, it would put CBS to the test on his "ball handlers are interchangeable" speak.  That's one of the beauties of Smart, that he can guard anyone.  I think a Russell-Smart backcourt would be fine.  Young is less flexible, but the crazy part is, you can even have Smart guard 3's.  If any team thinks their matchup advantage is against Marcus Smart, I welcome them to try. 

After watching a few hours Russell and Looney, I like Russell more.