Author Topic: 2011 CB Draft Northwest Division Press Conference  (Read 57923 times)

Re: 2011 CB Draft Northwest Division Press Conference
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37:19 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
@Kwit . ...
Echo the sentiments on a great job.

My question is;

With your big men being average help defenders collectively, and your perimeter players not known for their defensive ability, would it make more sense to play a defensive minded 3 like mbah a moute,  as opposed to Wright?

I don't think offense will be your problem with your starters, so perhaps sacrificing a part of that would benefit your perimeter defense, which limits foul trouble on your bigs also.

Thanks

The thought certainly crossed my mind.  The way I see it is to start the game with my best lineup.  If the situation calls for it Mbah a Moute could enter the game for Wright if defense is needed at that time.  Then Wright could be the primary bench scorer.  It's hard to answer questions because a lot of these things are based on the situation.  I mean Flip will find the best way to maximize the skills of these players.  And as the last question was geared toward Wright, if it's needed Wright could be moved to the 6th man role, as his offense would help the bench.  But I don't necessarily seeing the whole bench in the game together at the same time.  But I'm definitely open to the idea if needed.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I wouldn't worry about usage totaling 101. The Celtics playoff starters totaled 102, its an estimate that doesn't consider all the lineups that are played.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
I wouldn't worry about usage totaling 101. The Celtics playoff starters totaled 102, its an estimate that doesn't consider all the lineups that are played.

True, the differing lineups didn't cross my mind at the time.  I could see Wrights usage go down when playing with JJ but going up when playing with Rush/Hill/or Mbah a Moute.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

True, the differing lineups didn't cross my mind at the time.  I could see Wrights usage go down when playing with JJ but going up when playing with Rush/Hill/or Mbah a Moute.
Yeah or if Joe Johnson is out there with 3 or 4 bench players he'll probably handle the ball more.

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 10:57:11 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
QUESTIONS FOR OKC

Rondo, i liked your team a lot more with mello.  It would of been a tough adjustment for kobe, but superstars figure it out.

My questions are: Seems like the best fit for Kobe is when he plays with your reserves.  Will this cause dissention amongst the starters/backups? Although i don't much care for Jamison, he is a better player than Ty Thomas - shouldn't he be out there for Kobe?

The defense will certainly be there, but how will Kobe react to the lack of offense with him on the floor? Rondo/Thomas/Dalembert have never been considered "knock-down" shooters - how do you keep Kobe from the "Kobe-face" if their shots don't fall??

jamison and thomas will be playin the same minutes. i prefer to start the game with thomas's defense and come out and set the tone defensively.. rondo's elbow jumpers have  improved a lot the past year and he can blow by anyone to score...artest is a good shooter so it's not like theres no offense out there. also thomas had 10ppg so he is not a stiff offensively.

sometimes second units give up leads..not the OKC squad..jamison, mo will, stevenson,and brown will come out adding to leads.
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
@IP...

Love your team, but have one question, which I believe determines the fate of my call on your status of contender.

Can Lowry and Amare co-exist offensively? Stat has always been a big pick n roll type guy, whereas Lowry isn't the best pick n roll type PG due to his inconsistent shooting. Do you see your offense revolving around the p n r?

I love the aggressiveness that Lowry posseses, and feel that you have the athletes to get up the court. Top job!

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Words, words, words, wall of text, and more words.  I'm voting for Utah, because they gave us pretty pictures.

co-siiiiiign

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
A question for OKC:

How do you feel that posting a photo of your back up 2 guard getting his dunk flat stuffed by one of the Jazz's bench players will effect you in the voting?

;D

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 11:22:54 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Words, words, words, wall of text, and more words.  I'm voting for Utah, because they gave us pretty pictures.

TP

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 11:26:54 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
QUESTIONS FOR OKC

Rondo, i liked your team a lot more with mello.  It would of been a tough adjustment for kobe, but superstars figure it out.

My questions are: Seems like the best fit for Kobe is when he plays with your reserves.  Will this cause dissention amongst the starters/backups? Although i don't much care for Jamison, he is a better player than Ty Thomas - shouldn't he be out there for Kobe?

The defense will certainly be there, but how will Kobe react to the lack of offense with him on the floor? Rondo/Thomas/Dalembert have never been considered "knock-down" shooters - how do you keep Kobe from the "Kobe-face" if their shots don't fall??

jamison and thomas will be playin the same minutes. i prefer to start the game with thomas's defense and come out and set the tone defensively.. rondo's elbow jumpers have  improved a lot the past year and he can blow by anyone to score...artest is a good shooter so it's not like theres no offense out there. also thomas had 10ppg so he is not a stiff offensively.

sometimes second units give up leads..not the OKC squad..jamison, mo will, stevenson,and brown will come out adding to leads.

I don't think Artest is a good shooter at all. The last three seasons his FG% has been 40, 41, and 40%. He was 61st out 79 for SF's that's including the people who barely played at all even. http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/field-goals/sort/fieldGoalPct/qualified/false/position/small-forwards/count/41

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:37 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Question for the Jazz:

Considering that was June 14th, it is safe to assume Butler will be back 100% this upcoming season

Why? Caron Butler is a 31 year old SG/SF who just went through a season ending knee surgery. Why am I to assume he's going to be a 100%?

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Words, words, words,

I'm so sick of words. I get words all day through first from him now from you, is that all you blighters can do?

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
@IP...

Love your team, but have one question, which I believe determines the fate of my call on your status of contender.

Can Lowry and Amare co-exist offensively? Stat has always been a big pick n roll type guy, whereas Lowry isn't the best pick n roll type PG due to his inconsistent shooting. Do you see your offense revolving around the p n r?

I love the aggressiveness that Lowry posseses, and feel that you have the athletes to get up the court. Top job!

Well, the short answer is yes, I do, but I understand the concern. Lowry's shooting last year was the best of his career, and even then on the year he was more of a '3pter or nothing' kind of guy.

But the way I see Lowry operating a lot of the time is as a drive and dish player, and not as a mid-range shooter. Rajon Rondo's mid-range shot is pretty darn 'inconsistent' as a jumpshooter, but paired with a big man (KG), he still plays an extremely effective 2-man game. LOwry can do much the same thing, and after the All-Star break (and Aaron Brooks' trade) he shot 41% from 3pt range on 6+ attempts per game.

Because of his 3pt shooting ability (players can't just play off him and let him hangout at the 3pt line), and ability to penetrate consistently, he can play an effective P&R game with either Amar'e or Derrick Williams.

But, that's not all, folks. James Harden, as StartOrien said previously, is 'Brilliant' in the pick and roll. In the playoffs Harden managed to convert on 46.2% of all pick and roll attempts where he was the ball-handler, which grades out according to synergy sports as "Very Good".

Between Harden (who can run the P&R similar to Kobe and Gasol) and Lowry (who can run the P&R similar to Rondo and KG, if Rondo was a deep threat but a worse passer), I have no problems with my ability to center my offense around Lowry, Harden or Sessions and Amar'e or Derrick Williams.  

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
IP,

What if Amare, Bogut, Williams, and Lowry are all injured for extended time?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
And to all you jerks who are lamenting my press release, screw you guys. I worked for like 2 hours on that crap, and tried to give a good narrative of how I got to my team, what my expectations are, and how I see each individual player. Jeez! And people wonder what's wrong with Amurrica today! People don't appreciate good work!!!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner