Author Topic: Report: Kings have had discussions about Cousins with Suns  (Read 9082 times)

Report: Kings have had discussions about Cousins with Suns
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:56:34 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Woah, this is potentially big news if Cousins might actually hit the market. That Brooklyn pick is the most valuable asset in the league right now, so hopefully Danny waves that in front of the Kings to entice them for a trade.

With the Sacramento Kings still outside of a top-eight seed in the Western Conference and little hope for improvement, it may be a matter of time before the team parts ways with DeMarcus Cousins.

Continue for updates.

Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro reported Tuesday the Kings have had discussions with the Phoenix Suns about a possible trade.

It would be an odd deal for both teams.

According to Gambadoro, Phoenix isn't prepared to send either Eric Bledsoe or Devin Booker—the team's two best assets—to Sacramento. Instead, the Kings would acquire some combination of Alex Len, T.J. Warren and draft picks. The Suns own the Miami Heat's first-rounders in 2018 and 2021.

Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro reported Tuesday the Kings have had discussions with the Phoenix Suns about a possible trade.

It would be an odd deal for both teams.

According to Gambadoro, Phoenix isn't prepared to send either Eric Bledsoe or Devin Booker—the team's two best assets—to Sacramento. Instead, the Kings would acquire some combination of Alex Len, T.J. Warren and draft picks. The Suns own the Miami Heat's first-rounders in 2018 and 2021.

Phoenix, meanwhile, would be banking on Cousins signing an extension after the 2017-18 season—far from a guarantee at this stage. The Suns have the worst record in the league (15-33), and their ceiling with Cousins would likely be an early playoff exit next season.

After putting up with the dysfunctional Kings for seven seasons, the three-time All-Star may have reservations about committing long term to a team that is headed in the right direction but remains well outside title contention.

The Kings continue to lose trade leverage every day Cousins gets closer to free agency, so they may eventually settle for what the Suns are reportedly presenting. For now, Phoenix will likely either have to increase its offer or wait and wear down the Suns' resolve.

Uh, yeah, we can offer a much, much better package than that, especially if they're looking for draft picks and young prospects rather than more established players.

And let me remind you guys of what Cousins did yesterday:

46 points on 11-16 fgs, 4-6 3pfgs, 20-22 fts (!!), along with 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 block, 1 steal, though with 8 TOs.

EDIT: I thought this deserved it's own thread since the report wasn't necessarily regarding our own "Boogie Watch," but please merge with that thread if necessary.

Re: Report: Kings have had discussions about Cousins with Suns
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Chriss

One of len, bender

Tj warren, Knight

2 1sts

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This is definitely good news. My biggest hope us that we win the lottery and then deal the #1 pick + filler for Cousins

Even if that doesn't make us instant contenders, it puts us within spitting distance (and with the assets and young players to improve via trade or one of our young guys making a leap)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Chriss

One of len, bender

Tj warren, Knight

2 1sts

I can't see the Suns making a Cousins deal without including Tyson Chandler (even if they have to throw in an extra asset alike with Gerald Wallace)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I want Cousins.

Like seriously.

I don't think people understand how good this guy is. He developed his mid range, stretches out to the 3, can block, steal, and only big man that runs up and down the court with a crossover reverse slam.

And agreed, that is a puny offer...

We can offer Rozier, Smart, Bradley... If their mainly looking for guards, and if we can get the 1st round that should trump any offer the Suns could offer.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 06:05:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I want Cousins.

Like seriously.

I don't think people understand how good this guy is. He developed his mid range, stretches out to the 3, can block, steal, and only big man that runs up and down the court with a crossover reverse slam.

We can offer Rozier, Smart, Bradley... If their mainly looking for guards, and if we can get the 1st round that should trump any offer the Suns could offer.

He scores 46 last night and they still lose

Where is the defense?

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Besides our former players and the spurs, cousins is the only box score i check every game besides the celtics.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 06:09:30 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I want Cousins.

Like seriously.

Cousins has a team?

Fixed.

And are you commenting on Cousin's lack of defense, because I can assure you that is not the issue.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 06:10:46 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

What's the most you give up for Cousins?

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 06:16:11 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If this report has any basis in truth then it means that Cousins is on the market.

If Cousins is on the market, then nobody who would reasonably be interested in him should have the ability to out-bid Ainge.  He's simply got too large a pile of movable assets including the singularly most valuable draft pick at the moment in the NBA.   And I can't imagine any GM gauging interest in his wares without checking in on Ainge.

So IF this report is true and IF Ainge wants DMC, he should be able to get him.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 06:18:55 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
This is definitely good news. My biggest hope us that we win the lottery and then deal the #1 pick + filler for Cousins

Even if that doesn't make us instant contenders, it puts us within spitting distance (and with the assets and young players to improve via trade or one of our young guys making a leap)

Will we have such fillers? With the new CBA, non-guaranteed money doesn't count in trades (Zeller's 8 million for next year are team option). And Amir-JJ will have expired. Maybe using Kelly as S&T material?

If Cousins is on the market, we must get it done now.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 06:26:44 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

What's the most you give up for Cousins?

Well, we start with the assumption that we want to immediately be a contender after the trade, right?  So that means that we rule out any trade the moves the non-Center starters you want to put around Cousins (Isaiah, Avery, Jae & Al).   That gives you your starting 5 that you intend to contend with.

I'd resist sending more than two out of the threesome of {Jaylen, BKN17, BKN18}.  They can have two of those, but not all three.     I take it as a given that they'd get the BKN17 so it then becomes whether they want last year's #3 over the mystery box of BKN18.

Then they can have two or three out of a any of the other bodies or lower value picks in Danny's stable of assets.

Add filler going either way to balance as needed.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
If this report has any basis in truth then it means that Cousins is on the market.

If Cousins is on the market, then nobody who would reasonably be interested in him should have the ability to out-bid Ainge.  He's simply got too large a pile of movable assets including the singularly most valuable draft pick at the moment in the NBA.   And I can't imagine any GM gauging interest in his wares without checking in on Ainge.

So IF this report is true and IF Ainge wants DMC, he should be able to get him.

Well, after doing some more research, the report is definitely legit, and the guy who reported it actually has a good reputation and has broke news for the Suns before.

The question is this - how serious are the Kings in potentially moving Cousins? Because this very well could've just been the Suns calling them about Cousins and them refusing when they heard the package, which is significantly different than actual trade negotiations and discussions.

Still, the fact that they actually picked up the phone is improvement from the rumors that Vivek was dead set against trading him at all. Currently, they're in a three-way tie for the 10th spot, but after losing to the Rockets tonight, they could very well be alone in 12th place in the West four full games out from a playoff spot. Further, they have a difficult schedule until the trade deadline, and they should be firmly out of the playoff race by then. Hopefully that will be enough to finally convince them to move on from Cousins finally.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I want Cousins.

Like seriously.

He scores 46 last night and they still lose

Where is the defense?

Right, he's the only one on the court wearing Sac's jersey  ::)

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 06:33:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'd rather just get the deal done at the trade deadline.  I think Boogie added to this roster (for mostly picks and Amir Johnson) puts us at least on par with Cleveland this year.  I can't wait to see Kevin Love have to guard Boogie or Horford an entire game, not to mention Cleveland having to play 4-on-5 offense with Thompson on the court at the end of games.