Author Topic: Brutal beat in women's tourney  (Read 6253 times)

Brutal beat in women's tourney
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:41:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah, yeah, it's women's ball, but I saw this on Deadspin and thought I'd share it.  What a brutal ending to the game for Xavier.  This is the Elite Eight, tie game with 20 seconds left.  Warning, a jackass will scream in your ear twice during this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ienobaWDOjM&feature=player_embedded

Painful to watch.  But on the other hand, it's yet more evidence that women's basketball is godawful.  So there's that.

Re: Brutal beat in women's tourney
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Aw man I know I saw that this morning on SC.

That poor girl. That's an epic choke.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:11:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i laughed harder at the girl freaking out after she went coast to coast for a layup.   

Brittney Griner is rolling over in his grave

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Wow.  It's hard to believe that this is the top level of women's basketball.  Xavier choked big time, both on that layup and on their defense.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Wow.  It's hard to believe that this is the top level of women's basketball.  Xavier choked big time, both on that layup and on their defense.

Yeah...I once tried to watch a Duke-UNC women's game when they were 1-2 in the rankings.  That was the longest 5 minutes of my life.

Really Stanford choked first by twice leaving the same player wide-open under the basket and then not fouling her.  Luckily Xavier double-choked by bricking both of em, and triple-choked by playing matador defense for the last play.  So much for superior fundamentals.

I was impressed that that Stanford player made it from three-quarter court to a layup in 4.4 seconds, though.  That was a heck of a drive.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Yes. That was terrible. Not once, but twice!

When I was about 22-23 my sister in law played for one of the better D-1 schools that year. I was working nights and so would go down to the gym and run with their team right before the season started and they were allowed to have official practices. They had 9 that would play and myself. I was a solid player in HS but had no chance of playing college ball. 6'1" and about 185 at the time. I was consistently though the best player on the floor and had to pull back to not take over. It was laughable. I am sure that the teams are better now overall, and that the very elite schools have some players that would destroy me, but these layups are very representative of many of the players out there. It didn't surprise me a bit.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:31:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've seen stuff like that in high school ball. But at Div I semi-finals?? I don't care if it's men's or women's that is right up there as one of the more epic classic choke jobs by a player I've ever seen.

I feel bad for her but you have to control your emotions at that level or, quite honestly, you probably don't belong on that level.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:34:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

When I was about 22-23 my sister in law played for one of the better D-1 schools that year. I was working nights and so would go down to the gym and run with their team right before the season started and they were allowed to have official practices. They had 9 that would play and myself. I was a solid player in HS but had no chance of playing college ball. 6'1" and about 185 at the time. I was consistently though the best player on the floor and had to pull back to not take over. It was laughable. I am sure that the teams are better now overall, and that the very elite schools have some players that would destroy me, but these layups are very representative of many of the players out there. It didn't surprise me a bit.
The World Cup winning Woman's soccer team couldn't beat the all-star HS men's players in California back when the US team was in its prime.

Body type and build just make it a whole different game for woman in most sports.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm not proud of this but my initial reaction was: "HA!"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:53:03 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I'm not proud of this but my initial reaction was: "HA!"

That honest admission is worthy of a TP!

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

The World Cup winning Woman's soccer team couldn't beat the all-star HS men's players in California back when the US team was in its prime.

Body type and build just make it a whole different game for woman in most sports.

Yeah, but athleticism should have little to nothing to do with

- not letting opponents get wide-open under the basket twice in a row
- making at least 1 of 2 open layups
- slowing down another player of comparable athleticism with 4 seconds left.

Women can't compete with men athletically, but that whole sequence was just bad basketball, not subpar athleticism.   That's what gets me about it.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 06:29:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
was just bad basketball, not subpar athleticism.   That's what gets me about it.
Yeah, but that happens all the time in the men's game too. Coast to Coast layup by Scottie Reynolds last year for example.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
i laughed harder at the girl freaking out after she went coast to coast for a layup.   

Brittney Griner is rolling over in his grave

HILARIOUS

DEEPEST VOICE EVER
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay so what's a bigger choke in a big game, this one by that poor girl for Xavier or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH1ujxNwrkA

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I lol'd