Author Topic: Skinner possibly on his way out at BC  (Read 15763 times)

Skinner possibly on his way out at BC
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:20:53 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I can't believe BC is thinking of getting rid of him even if he doesn't get the St. Johns job.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2010/03/skinners_future.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:28:54 PM by Donoghus »

Re: Skinner possibly on his way out at BC
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've always been a big fan of Skinner.  The guy has often made the most of what he's had and he's been one of the best at discovering the "hidden gems" out there; Troy Bell, Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, Tyrese Rice.  He also turned around the program when there were a lot of negative press being lobbed at the program post Jim O'Brian. The guy kept the program afloat in tough times  He's had a couple of "down years" lately but not enough in my opinion to dump him if he doesn't get this St. Johns job as some speculation indicates. 

I guess the biggest question-mark is whether the program has plateaued with Skinner.  He's been around for 12-13 years now so some alums might be fed up with the fact that they're not going to the tourney or deep in the tourney (Sweet 16/Elite 8) every year but I'm not sure how much of that ground-swell exists.

If I had my way, I'd like to see Skinner stay and see DeFilippo be the one to go. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have to wonder who they think they can get better than him

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have to wonder who they think they can get better than him

They'd most likely opt for one of the up & coming guys and hope they can get them long-term although BC is just gonna be a stepping stone for almost anyone with big-time college basketball coaching aspirations.  Plus, BC's m.o. is that they're not gonna toss the big money at an established "name".   Pearl's a BC guy but he's too big-time now.  I'm guessing he's out of the price range plus unless Pearl is really pro-alma mater, I can't see him walking away from his gig at Tennessee.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Doesn't really matter unless they step up the recruiting.  BC's been nothing special for the few years that I've been here.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 10:33:17 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I really hope St. John's takes Lavin or Skinner...

I really don't want them to take Baron from Rhody, he has done a great job with the program and with my URI Rams...

But if Baron does get the job and Skinner gets let go, I'd be more then glad for us to take him back from you guys lol.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:49:14 PM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 11:20:15 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Doesn't really matter unless they step up the recruiting.  BC's been nothing special for the few years that I've been here.

you must have only been there the last few years....Skinner had given BC the best run that they have ever had, especially 2001-2007.  I swear that if Sean Williams was not such an idiot, they wouldve been at least final 4 bound in 07
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

He's been around for 12-13 years now so some alums might be fed up with the fact that they're not going to the tourney or deep in the tourney (Sweet 16/Elite 8) every year but I'm not sure how much of that ground-swell exists.

Yeah and people don't understand and realize how unrealstic that is. 

It's extremely hard to just make it to the tourney for my Rhody team, if we mae it to the Sweet 16 or back to the elite 8 since '98 I would be estatic!

I heard on the radio by either John Rider or Meter, that they wanted a coach like Izzo and get them to 6 final fours in the past 12 seasons.

And I was thinking of how unrealistic that is and how the expectations are way to high for that. 

Not even teams like UNC, Duke, or Kansas go on runs like Michigan St. is right now.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2010/03/bc_fires_skinne.html

Boston College basketball coach Al Skinner has been fired, according to sources at Boston College. A press conference is scheduled for noon today.

BC officials will start a search for a successor immediately, and have already asked for permission to talk to Richmond coach Chris Mooney and Cornell coach Steve Donahue.

Other possibilities could be Harvard coach Tommy Amaker and Northeastern coach Billy Coen.

According to sources at BC, Skinner and his agent Dennis Coleman met with Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo and BC Vice President of Human Resources Leo Sullivan last Wednesday and were informed that Skinner would not be retained.

Skinner and Coleman then asked if BC could keep that information quiet to allow Skinner to find another job. BC agreed, and Skinner went to New York to interview for the opening at St. John's which developed when Norm Roberts was fired.

Although Skinner was regarded as an early front runner after Georgia Tech's Paul Hewitt turned down an offer from St. John's, Skinner wanted to bring his entire coaching staff with him rather than have someone with stronger New York City recruiting ties join the staff.

St. John's then made contact with former UCLA coach Steve Lavin, who has emerged as the front runner and could be hired as soon as tomorrow.

DeFilippo will now move quickly to find a replacement with Mooney, Donahue and Amaker and Coen thought to be on his short list.

Change the title, Skinner is officially one his way out now.

Some of the coaching canidates your athletic director are pretty good in Donahue and Mooney. 

You guys may not know much about Mooney, but he is an excellent coach and did a fabulous job with Richmond this season.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Its about time.  Skinner is a decent coach, and recruiter, but he has been unable to bring this program to the next level.  Much like the football program, they can be spoilers, but cannot win the big game to become an elite team. 

Its a tough call to let such a solid coach go, but if they ever want to be an elite program, they need to get a more dynamic guy in there who can find a way to lift the program up to elite status...it may be a failing search, but it is worth trying, rather than just staying mediocre forever.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Its about time.  Skinner is a decent coach, and recruiter, but he has been unable to bring this program to the next level.  Much like the football program, they can be spoilers, but cannot win the big game to become an elite team. 

Its a tough call to let such a solid coach go, but if they ever want to be an elite program, they need to get a more dynamic guy in there who can find a way to lift the program up to elite status...it may be a failing search, but it is worth trying, rather than just staying mediocre forever.

What are your expectations for elite? To be like Michigan St. is right now, or Kansas, or Duke, or UNC. 

People don't understand that that is just not possible for some programs.

You guys should be happy you had a coach like Skinner. 

That stretch from 2001-2007 was pretty darn good.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:47:01 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

I really don't want them to take Baron from Rhody, he has done a great job with the program and with my URI Rams...

But if Baron does get the job and Skinner gets let go, I'd be more then glad for us to take him back from you guys lol.

Well if you remember, they snatched up skinner from the Rams too. I wouldn't be surprised but they will most likely pursue higher profile guys first.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 09:47:26 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think BC is better off in both Football and Basketball with turn over at the Head Coaching spots. Neither is the big time, and they are only going to get an under achiever with long tenure.

Exception would be if they dropped their academic rules and let coaches recruit anyone they want. Then they could get a young up and comer and build the program around that coach and possible have a tenure for life guy. But he'd cost a lot (eventually.)

UPDATE: that was nice of Gene D to keep the info secret while Skinner interviewed, and it was clueless of Skinner to refuse to add some NYC guys to his staff.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 09:49:17 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Well if you remember, they snatched up skinner from the Rams too. I wouldn't be surprised but they will most likely pursue higher profile guys first.

I know BC snatched Skinner from us. That is why I said I'd be more then glad for us to take him back.   

But yes we would look to go after a more high profile coach, but realisticly we probably wouldn't get one.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

That is why I said I'd be more then glad for us to take him back.

But yes we would look to go after a more high profile coach, but realisticly we probably wouldn't get one.

Oops sorry missed that!