Author Topic: 2017-18 Boston Bruins Season...  (Read 67492 times)

2017-18 Boston Bruins Season...
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:50:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Coming into the season, expectations were relatively tempered for a middling Bruins team that made few offseason acquistions. See below from CBS Sports:

The smart money has to be on the Bruins doing enough to be in the Atlantic Division playoff picture, but that's probably the extent of reasonable expectations. Nothing more than another shot at sneaking in as a wild card.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/2017-18-team-by-team-nhl-season-outlook-previewing-the-boston-bruins/

But they have really come on of late recording at least 1 point in 16 straight games (12-0-4) and are 2nd in the East behind only Tampa Bay. Rask and the defense have been great ranking #1 in the NHL while Marchand, Bergeron, and Pastrnak have been leading a strong scoring offense.

I know this is a Cs blog and hockey is a clear #4 - as evidenced by the fact that there is only now a season thread for the Bruins - but I thought they deserved their due. What are your thoughts? Do the Bruins actually have a chance to compete for the Stanley Cup this year or is this just a nice run?

Re: 2017-18 Boston Bruins Season...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 06:45:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Nice OT win in Calgary on the Marchand break away. At least I think it's called that. I'm not much of a hockey person

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Bruins definitely have looked fantastic this season. Have defied my earlier expectations.

Am I crazy to think this team can make a legit, DEEP playoff run?  :o

I think some youth/inexperience might hurt us, BUT we also have a good mix of veterans as well. As long as Rask does extremely well, we have a chance.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:16:35 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Currently have the fewest losses in all of the NHL (not including OTLs since teams still receive a point for those). They have also played the least amount of games out of the top teams and are legitimately in contention for the best record/most point in the league.

As always, the playoffs are a different story - especially in the NHL - but if Rask can continue to play as well as he has, they may actually have a real chance. That's crazy!

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Bruins definitely have looked fantastic this season. Have defied my earlier expectations.

Am I crazy to think this team can make a legit, DEEP playoff run?  :o

I think some youth/inexperience might hurt us, BUT we also have a good mix of veterans as well. As long as Rask does extremely well, we have a chance.

Not crazy. They're clearly a top team and will be expected to win a series or two. This trade deadline might be the time to actually pick up a player, versus some borderline guy they've acquired at the deadline in the past.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm shocked at how the season has turned (for the good) for the Bruins. My expectation for this team, at the beginning of the season, was the same as that of CBS Sports, so for this team to be in the mix for the most points is crazy. They’ve really jelled, and I'm expecting them to go pretty deep in the playoffs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 01:09:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
They may not have the most points in the league but they are definitely the bedt team in the league in my opinion. They might have the league MVP and the league's best goalie.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 08:58:17 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Does the Bruin's recent success imply there was an issue with Claude Julien or that they had tuned him out?

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »

• Satch Sanders
Bergeron out at least 2 weeks with a broken foot, now McAvoy out for at least 4 weeks. The Bruins have fared much better than expected this season, so in one sense any outcome is gravy, but it would stink to see their season suddenly sabotaged by injuries.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Bergeron out at least 2 weeks with a broken foot, now McAvoy out for at least 4 weeks. The Bruins have fared much better than expected this season, so in one sense any outcome is gravy, but it would stink to see their season suddenly sabotaged by injuries.
Also, Rask is out today with... god knows what. This has the potential to come undone really fast.

This isn't gravy, though. They brought in some people, so they're going for it this year.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 12:38:42 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
The question is whether Bergeron and Mcavoy will be ready to contribute when they come back. Both should be back for the playoffs. The Bruins should be the 2nd/3rd seed in the East, similar to the Celtics. If they can continue to play .500 hockey, they should get at least one home ice series.

I'm more concerned about our players reaching their potential in the playoffs than injuries. The Bruins have had inconsistent playoff performances by many of their top players. I think this is something Cassidy should be focusing on.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
As a Tampa fan...can't say all of this news hurts my feelings. Certainly didn't want to have to face Toronto and Boston in the playoffs. Making those two play each other is better. Figure Boston still beats the Leafs in 5 or 6.

But really...anyone but the Pens.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Also, Rask is out today with... god knows what. This has the potential to come undone really fast.

This isn't gravy, though. They brought in some people, so they're going for it this year.

This is a good point. So if their season suddenly goes south, it will be even worse than I thought. :(

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 02:17:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sucks that the injury to Bergeron might cost him MVP.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 02:46:24 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I don't really watch hockey (or baseball), but go Boston Sports teams!!!  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)