Author Topic: Trade Ideas That Could Save Season  (Read 3123 times)

Trade Ideas That Could Save Season
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
There are two ideas here and both involve the Raptors and Grizzlies.

First according to Stein the Grizzlies likely won't move Gay for just Pierce.

Marc Stein: If Grizz move Gay they hope to address depth/shooting deficiencies and/or add youth and/or balance payroll better. Pierce doesn't quite fit Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Stein also mentions that we would have interest in Lowry. This makes sense because in a lot of ways he brings similar production to the table that Rondo does.

Marc Stein: Sense I get is it's far likelier Celts pursue Kyle Lowry and his cap-friendly contract. But do Celts have assets to land Raps PG? We'll see Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

The Raptors seem inclined to move Lowry as well.

Toronto also has a point-guard problem to solve. And while Jose Calderon has frequently been mentioned as trade bait, league sources say the Raptors are far more amenable to trading Kyle Lowry, who has not made many friends in his new surroundings.

Kyle Lowry, who has quickly worn out his welcome in Toronto, could be an option for the Mavs or Hawks, who are both in need of point-guard help. With only $1 million guaranteed next season, Lowry would be a short-term fix without clogging up future cap space. CBSSports.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21614044/postups-whether-dealing-gasol-howard-or-standing-pat-lakers-in-bind

Ryan Wolstat: There is a split in organization between Lowry and Calderon. I find that insane based on many things Twitter @WolstatSun

It's also well known the Raptors are ready to move Bargnani, so with all that being said this is what I got.

Trade 1:

Memphis receives: Jason Terry, Brandon Bass, Demar Derozan, Terrence Ross, and Boston's first this season (lottery protected)

Toronto receives: Rudy Gay, Jeff Green, and Jason Collins

Boston receives: Tony Allen, Kyle Lowry, Andrea Barnagni, and Darrell Arthur

Memphis reduces payroll. Gets a young lottery talent on a rookie deal in Ross. Gets a Gay replacement in Derozan (he is 6'7"), gets bench scoring and shooting in Terry, and Bass who has a deal as long as arthur. They don't have to extend TA either who will want a raise. They also get a pick and rid of Gay's deal.

Toronto gets rid of Bargs. They land Green who can play alongside Gay at times. They get Gay, who they sell as their franchise guy and thus save face by moving Lowry for him.

Boston: Get pieces to contend now while not really sacrificing the future.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ak8sjd9

Trade 2:

Memphis: Jeff Green, Jason Terry, and Terrence Ross

Toronto: Rudy Gay, Brandon Bass, and Jason Collins

Boston: Get pieces to contend now.

Memphis would have to be sold on the fact that Green can produce at a similar clip to what Gay can at half the price. They keep TA, add Terry, and get Ross.

Toronto: Same thing as before. Gay is the franchise guy and they rid themselves of Bargs. They also keep Derozan. They again sell fans on "we would never have gotten Gay if we had never done the Lowry deal."

For Boston the big issue is Fields. However he has a deal similar to Terry's deal and we might be better off with him in three years then a 38 yr. old Jet. Fields isn't as good as Green but he could likely fill the role that Green plays almost as well, assuming he can hit the corner three. Kleiza could be substituted in for him.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b9uztxa

The pieces could be here for these three teams to come to an agreement before the trade deadline. Toronto has been rumored to covet Gay. We could use Lowry. It's all on how much Memphis wants to move Rudy and what they want in return.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: Trade Ideas That Could Save Season
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
You spend all those years developing Gay only to trade him when on the verge of a Championship to start all over again with somebody like DeMar DeRozan. Insanity.

I really hope Memphis don't do a deal like this.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
You spend all those years developing Gay only to trade him when on the verge of a Championship to start all over again with somebody like DeMar DeRozan. Insanity.

I really hope Memphis don't do a deal like this.

You really think Gay is all that huh? I don't. He's paid twice as much as his production is worth. Now numbers don't tell the whole story but look at Derozan and Gay side by side.

Gay:   36.6 mpg, 40% fg, 30% 3fg, 78% ft, 5.9 rpg, 2.5 apg, 0.7 bpg,   1.4 spg, 17.0 ppg
Drz:  36.8   mpg,    44% fg, 25% 3fg, 82% ft, 4.4 rpg, 2.1 apg, 0.4 bpg,   1.0 spg, 17.2 ppg

Gay commits 2.5 turnovers per game while Derozan commits 1.7. So that is similar there. Their PERs are basically the same at 14.

Gay plays with better players so shouldn't his numbers be better? Derozan is featured more, so shouldn't his be inflated? I am sure there is a middle ground here but there not that different, well... other then Gay's deal pays him twice as much.

Gay at 6'8" and 230 isn't that much bigger then Derozan at 6'7" 213. Also Gay at 26 means he won't likely be getting that much better. Derozan at 23 still has room for growth.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Trade Terry for Billups(if he is healthy.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Go for Lowry..... WEEI just mentioned a Kyle Lowry rumor to Boston.... For may Courtney Lee?
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
DeRozan was essentially deemed Toronto's franchise player when they dealt him the big bucks. They'd rather keep him, since he's been playing up to his contract these past few weeks.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:04:01 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Kane,

Sort of am fascinated a little with Trade 1!!!:-))  Not a Bargnani fan, but ...

Smitty77

We need to get in on a trade between Toronto and Memphis, if one goes down.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 09:20:29 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
DeRozan was essentially deemed Toronto's franchise player when they dealt him the big bucks. They'd rather keep him, since he's been playing up to his contract these past few weeks.

10 mill a year isn't franchise money honestly.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:33:51 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
The only Raptors player that can be a good fit for Cs is Johnson

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I still feel our best move would be to grab a Center. If we can get in a 3 way with the Grizz and Raptors. We could probably get lowery for cheap. So we'll see I'll take Lowery for sure though.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:08:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Ed Davis begs to differ.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 09:11:39 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Ed Davis begs to differ.

He's somewhat redundant, but I absolutely am in love with Terrence Ross as a prospect. Would hate to blow up the Celtics but if you could get back a Raptor big who isn't Bargnani and Terrence Ross I think you might have to jump