Author Topic: Anyone else sick of FIBA?  (Read 31110 times)

Re: Anyone else sick of FIBA?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 02:39:19 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Not to put words in your mouth but it sounds less like you're sick of FIBA and more sick of general political tendencies that you're ascribing to FIBA.  FIBA is their own organization and can make their own rules if they want; it doesn't mean they're somehow insulting America.  Different people play games differently.

To use a silly example, beer pong originally involved a cup in each corner of a standard ping-pong table and one guy on each side playing actual ping-pong with a paddle.  As the game spread, other places adopted their own rules and now the game looks very different.  Doesn't mean they aren't doing things "properly" or are insulting the original creators - it's a game, the rules are essentially consensual, not written in stone by whoever got there first.

Your right tho. For me personally the anti-American crowds are old and annoying. The bogus travelling calls are head scratching at best. The hip checking players on wide open fast breaks is fascinating to watch. Your right FIBA can make any rules they want. They can play with a tennis ball and yarn and call it basketball.
Doesn't mean it is tho. The game they flaunt looks like something out of the dark ages compared to the NBA. If that's your kinda game then FIBAs for you. Personally I prefer a game where the players with athleticism and skill set themselves apart from the ones who are simply overmatched and just use physical play to level the field

Just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the NCAA ruleset?

Don't have one. I don't follow it as closely as I do the NBA. Although I do know it's rules are closer to the NBA then FIBA rules. And I may be wrong about this but hasn't the NCAA been mulling changing a few rules of their own to make it closer to NBA rules? Namely the three point line..

i dont know man, i think FIBA is pretty cool. its not THAT much different

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 02:46:02 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
A person would have to care about it to be sick of it.  It ranks up there, IMHO, somewhere between non Celtic summer league or preseason basketball, WNBA, or watching paint dry.

Collossal waste of time.

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 02:57:46 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
First off and as far as I could tell dark_lord merely stated a well known fact. That Naismith was indeed a Canadian citizen by birth. Just as, say, Arnold Schwarzenegger is Austrian by birth. Also, why mock his screen name? I am sure most people do not feel you are really a Hooligan even though that's the handle you chose. Did Naismith feel American? We will never know and you could be right. But you could also be wrong. Secondly, why do you feel that so many people hate America and what has that got to do with basketball? I am sure there a lots of things that people around the world do not like about your country but that could be said about any country. There is stuff in Denmark that bugs the (bad word) out of me. But that's an entirely different discussion and one that belongs in the Current Events forums. That said, you could be right in what you
said about the international rules. And I am sure each and every true basketball fan would rather watch an NBA game than an international game. But to say that FIBA enforces different rules just to annoy Americans is just plain silly, IMHO. And
finally, it's "football", not soccer. Played with the feet, you
know?  ;)

First off I'm pretty sure darklord can speak for himself. He doesn't need a body guard. Secondly I didn't mock his name at all and I addressed the fact that different things can mean
 different things to different people. And yes I'm well aware it's called football or futbol. But in this country many people call it soccer so I called it soccer so people here would understand on layman terms. Are you now mocking me for not calling it football? And calling it soccer? Where's my
bodyguard? Boohoo.

And at what point did I say FIBA used these rules to annoy Americans? You clearly missedmy point entirely if that what your writing back in response to me. Go back and read what I wrote if your unclear. Don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.

I really don't think I am putting words in your mouth, but if you feel that way, then sorry. I felt I was straight and to the points. And the soccer/football thing was supposed to be a little joke to lighten things up. Hence the  ;) And why do you think I am dark_lord's "bodyguard"? dark_lord is probably the coolest dude on here and of course, he can speak for himself. But when I see something I feel is not right, I tend to speak up. Nothing personal. Like you said yourself, different things mean different things to people; to me, it felt like you were indeed mocking him. And you didn't address the whole "The World hates us" (MY words) theory that I asked you about and that you hinted at in the OP. Again, if you feel I put words in yout mouth, I'm sorry. But relax, bro. Like I said, most people would rather watch an NBA game. Don't you think that's cool? It says a lot about the NBA.

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 03:01:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Last I checked this game was invented in Springfield Massachusetts!! In the UNITED STATES of AMERICA! We invented this game I think we'd know the proper rules.
This is precisely the attitude which causes the rest of the world to "frown on you".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
As a whole the world probably generally has a little bias towards us fair or not yes I agree to that. But thats neither here nor there. I did state that yes the constant whistling (booing) is old cause we hear it every game and to be honest it reminds me a lil if the vuvuzelas and I also was very outspoken with not enjoying those.. But that wasn't the main part of my point at all man. As for the other issues I'm just gonna calm down now. I don't think I'm getting my point across and it's not worth slinging insults over. So here's to agreeing to disagree sir. Hopefully I wasn't completely confusing to everyone with the point I was trying to make. Never mind I guess. Sorry for the rant.

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
But that wasn't the main part of my point at all man.
Maybe it wasn't. In fact, it probably wasn't. Unfortunately, being perceived as just another arrogant American really limits your ability to get your points across, regardless of their merit. Which is a pity.

Just my two cents.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
I'm loving FIBA.  Great games, great atmosphere, and real gutsy performances from a lot of different players that I'd never heard of before.  As a fan of basketball, I don't know how you can't love FIBA.  

What I'm sick of is the rampant nationalism prevalent in the OP, the ESPN broadcasts, and Coach K's stupid attempt to silence a fellow American's right to speak his mind.  That's what really sickening and it brings to light some of the worst aspects of American culture, namely the mistaken belief that our unique American perspective is the only valid one in the world.  The ironic thing is that this country was founded on diversity of opinions and peoples, yet somehow today that's been translated and degraded into cultural hegemony.  

Folly. Persist.

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I want hand-checking back. 

The best players in the world can and did overcome it.

It is the fast athletic guys that are just that, fast and athletic that it stops.  The guys with the best skills overcome it. 

I hate that the game is made less physical year after year. 

I hate the breath on the guy with the ball fouls. 

I want the contact sport back out there. 

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 03:35:59 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
Is this thread really gonna turn into some liberal rant and a bash on me because yes I am Patriotic. And yes, I do beleive since we invented the game we should make the rules. Hate on me for being a proud American all you want Koz it's not gonna change my pride or my opinion. I stated that the fact is the world plays under one collective rule set for soccer or "football" as you guys so a[dang]antly say. So why isn't it one collective rule set for basketball. And since the game was invented here we should make the rules.. Just my opinion man. No need to take cheap shots

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 03:42:36 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton

It is the fast athletic guys that are just that, fast and athletic that it stops.  The guys with the best skills overcome it. 

See I agree with this... But only to a point. I certainly see some of the fouls now that are basically star treatment type calls and that needs to end. But the grabbing holding and all out pushing that was prevalent in the late 70's early 80's for me anyways wasn't that enjoyable to watch. Can you imagine what Jordan would do nowadays with these rules? Poetry in motion. I like to see the skill and athleticism dominate because the product is sharper and more eye catching.

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Is this thread really gonna turn into some liberal rant and a bash on me because yes I am Patriotic. And yes, I do beleive since we invented the game we should make the rules. Hate on me for being a proud American all you want Koz it's not gonna change my pride or my opinion. I stated that the fact is the world plays under one collective rule set for soccer or "football" as you guys so a[dang]antly say. So why isn't it one collective rule set for basketball. And since the game was invented here we should make the rules.. Just my opinion man. No need to take cheap shots
I couldn't care less, really. I just offered a friendly bit of advice, which you may or may not take. Ultimately, that doesn't affect me in any way.

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I like basketball, so ive been watching some world championship games, and i cant wait till the nba starts again.  All of the rules are insane.  KG would be raining down 3 pointers with that line, its like they are playing in high school gyms (the attendance isnt much better than a high school game either).

What the hell is the point of a key shaped like a pyramid?  So the offense can get rebounds off a missed free throw?  FIBA should stop trying to tell us how to make our rules and take a look at the terrible rules they use.  

my new favorite user name  ;)

and I get the pineapple chunk key either.
Yup

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 04:03:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
A person would have to care about it to be sick of it.  It ranks up there, IMHO, somewhere between non Celtic summer league or preseason basketball, WNBA, or watching paint dry.

Collossal waste of time.

I'd go with non Celtics preseason basketball as well.

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 04:09:03 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Yes please.  I've actually been finding FIBA more enjoyable to watch than the NBA.  They actually let the guys play rather than blowing the whistle because one guy enters another guy's bubble.  The NBA is reminding me more and more of middle school girls lacrosse.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

Yes please.  I've actually been finding FIBA more enjoyable to watch than the NBA.  They actually let the guys play rather than blowing the whistle because one guy enters another guy's bubble.  The NBA is reminding me more and more of middle school girls lacrosse.

Absolutely, mgent. The reffing has been refreshing. No star calls. Needs to be a real foul to get called. None of this calling an illegal screen on one end and then ignoring the same play on the other end.

A little funny that the only game where the reffing took the spotlight was where NBA ref Bill Kennedy was reffing and called an offensive foul on an illegal screen for about 5 CONSECUTIVE trips down the court.

And the limited amount of isolation play has been great to watch as well.