Author Topic: Jrue Holiday joins Jameer Nelson in asking Avery (and Lee) to chill on defense  (Read 5305 times)

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Twitter:  further and further eroding the literacy of Americans every day.

Funny story about Holiday, though.  I'm curious as to the context.

While it's obvious that sports athletes are usually not the brightest bulbs, don't be dumb.  Twitter has a character limit and a lot of it is just shorthanded.  Anyone being overzealous or criticizing someone's intellect based on how much effort they put into a twitter post is just as stupid as those he is trying to look down upon.

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

While it's obvious that sports athletes are usually not the brightest bulbs, don't be dumb.  Twitter has a character limit and a lot of it is just shorthanded.  Anyone being overzealous or criticizing someone's intellect based on how much effort they put into a twitter post is just as stupid as those he is trying to look down upon.

Agreed. Twitter isn't a formal writing exposition
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Twitter has a character limit and a lot of it is just shorthanded. 

Character limit isn't prohibiting people from using decent grammar and being literate.
I like Marcus Smart

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
How old are you guys? Really? In your 70's? Do any of you even use twitter? Its not that they are illiterate by any means, twitter only gives you a certain amount of characters per message so its their own version of short hand. If you dont understand it stick to newspapers and magazines to read....smh. Give it a break. I forgot Celticsblog is full of geniuses. I bet they can count all the money they make!  ::)
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
How old are you guys? Really? In your 70's? Do any of you even use twitter? Its not that they are illiterate by any means, twitter only gives you a certain amount of characters per message so its their own version of short hand. If you dont understand it stick to newspapers and magazines to read....smh. Give it a break. I forgot Celticsblog is full of geniuses. I bet they can count all the money they make!  ::)

Haha, don't make fun of the elderly. You'll be old too one day.

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I guess pit bulls hear the word "kill" when people say "cool" or "chill".

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Twitter has a character limit and a lot of it is just shorthanded. 

Character limit isn't prohibiting people from using decent grammar and being literate.
I've written things on twitter that have went over the character limit, I have then had to abbreviate words to make my tweet fit. I think it's completely acceptable.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I definitely vote for the "yes they are most likely illiterate" category. Stupid social media website such as twitter is holding America back from being properly educated and on par with the rest of the worlds systems. Facebook doesnt have a character limit and you see these same athletes post in the same incorrect grammar, slang, and illiterate talk there. To use the character thing as an excuse is just being blind to the real problem at hand.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You can split a message over multiple tweets. Shocking, I know.

I can echo the general sentiment here, and I think the problem partially is that when you read little, express yourself in 100-200 character strings, and have general disregard for grammar rules, you lose your ability to express yourself in written form.

Some of the stuff I was seeing in the in-class exams of college seniors and juniors just made me cringe.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."