Author Topic: Could the Cs catch the Knicks?  (Read 1346 times)

Could the Cs catch the Knicks?
« on: March 07, 2013, 01:28:46 AM »

Offline sinbad

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 56
Here are the Knicks tough games that they have left to play

Away
Golden St
Denver
Portland (2nd game of back to back)
Clippers
Utah (second night of back to back)
Boston
Miami
Atlanta (second night of back to back)
OKC
Chicago

Home
OKC
Utah
Memphis (second night of back to back)
Boston
Milwaukee
Indiana

Here's Boston's tough games

Away
OKC
Memphis (2ng night of back to back)
NY
Miami

Home
Atlanta
Miami
NY
Atlanta
Brooklyn
Indiana

That's 16 tough games for the Knicks compared to 10 for the Cs. 10 of the Knicks tough games are on the road as compared to only four for the Cs. 4 of the Knicks tough games are on the 2nd night of a back to back while the Cs have one. Celtics right now are playing better than the Knicks who have played barely .500 ball since starting 18-5.

I think its possible that the Knicks go 12-12 the rest of the season based on how tough their schedule is. I also think Boston has a chance to go 17-5 the rest of the season based on their very favorable schedule. This would mean Boston would be 50-32 and the Knicks 49-33.

I'm not saying its probable but I do think its at least possible. I do believe that at the very least, we will gain ground on the Knicks and make the Atlantic a race that comes down the the last couple of games.

Celtics and Bulls have by far the easiest schedule among the Eastern conference teams seeded 2 through 8. The Knicks have by far the hardest.

Of course Doc's philosophy has always been health and rest over record so all of this could just be a pipe dream.

Re: Could the Cs catch the Knicks?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:47:56 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I think I can see us losing to Miami, New York, and Indiana at the TD Garden.

We'll likely beat New York and Miami on the road.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 02:02:53 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think I can see us losing to Miami, New York, and Indiana at the TD Garden.

We'll likely beat New York and Miami on the road.

Sense, that makes none.

It would have been nice if the Knicks dropped one or two of their last games with Melo hurt/out. We have to win both games against NY to have any shot. Win them both and we could be down only about 3 in the loss column heading into April and own the tiebreaker. Knicks have a lot of tough games left. Of the games you mentioned, they should go ~.500 in those games. If we can go 7-3 in ours, it will come down to who handles inferior competition better.

TP to OP for putting the info together.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:11:08 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
1.5 games from the 4th seed right now.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:22:39 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think there is still a small chance that we might catch them, but imo it isn't going to happen.  Too many things have to go right, like winning both games against the knicks.  I am not sure it really matters either, other than it would be nice to win the atlantic again this year. 

Since we are so much better at home than on the road this year, I hope that we can just get a 4 seed so we can have home court for  the 1st round.  After that let the chips fall where they may...

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:35:18 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Upon further review of both teams schedules, things can get very interesting. The Knicks next seven games are against OKC and Utah (who have too much size for their frontcourt) followed by a rough 5 game west coast trip:  GSW, DEN, POR (b2b), LAC, UTA (b2b). They could potentially go 2-5 in these 7, especially if Melo misses a few more.

If we can make up 3 losses before we meet, they will be feeling the pressure.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 03:40:18 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I don't really think home court advantage matters too much...

Last year we were the 4th seed and the 5th seeded Hawks had home court advantage. We were pretty much the dogs and upset them. Then took a grueling 7-game series against an inspired Philadelphia 76ers team, especially late from Rondo's 3's.

And of course, the Miami Heat. I honestly think we should've closed it out in 5 games if it weren't for the Game 2 debacle. But it's the NBA, so whatevs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 05:42:54 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Do I think it is possible? Yes. Do I think we will do it? No.

And the simple reason is health and rest. I think Doc is going to be more concerned down the stretch run about keeping his guys healthy and with a full tank of gas going into the playoffs and as a result we are going to drop some games that you wouldn't normally expect. We could definitely make the push but I don't think home court advantage matters enough to this group of guys as health and energy will.