Author Topic: Jabari Bird arrested  (Read 46298 times)

Re: Jabari Bird arrested
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
... but if he has anxiety issues it opens the door to a whole other story.

How so?

Seizures are not part of a normal anxiety attack, especially ones severe enough to incapacitate him.  They do happen as part of anxiety attacks occasionally, but again, we’re talking incredibly severe ones.  They also can be caused by anti-anxiety medications.  These same medications can have the side effect of intensifying an anxiety episode.  As it appears he’s been previously diagnosed with anxiety, it’s not impossible he was on such a medication.

The seizures indicate this was more than just someone losing it.  He was having some sort of neurological event.  It’s possible (unprescribed) drugs were involved, but it’s very possible something else was at play.

Anxiety drugs can cause rage. They don’t cause people to torture and attempt to murder others.  Neither do anxiety attacks.

Yes, they very much do, sadly.  Rarely, but again, the attack stopped because he was having seizures severe enough to lose consciousness, and presumably left him in a state so dangerous to his own safety that his battered girlfriend moved him to his bed before fleeing.  So this was not a normal event, whatever the cause.

I’m on one such medication.  It’s used for migraine prevention.  But every month when I visit my neurologist she spends as much time quizzing me on whether I’ve had any bouts of anxiety as she does about my migraines, because while the probability of an severe episode is low, it’s very serious, and we monitor it very closely.

I’m diagnosed with anxiety, have had panic attacks, and am on both long term and as-needed meds.

My doctor has never warned me that I may suddenly become homicidal over a 4+ hour time period.  Despite a large number of clients with anxiety, I’ve never seen any attorney plead his client not guilty due to anxiety.  My wife is a psychiatric clinician, and she doesn’t see the cause-and-effect either. I’d love to read the literature on that.  Having less control over one’s anger and impulses isn’t the same as causing homicidal acts.

This is the drug I’m on:

In a small number of people, Topamax has been known to cause suicidal thoughts or actions, new or worse anxiety, irritability, and depression as well as feelings of agitation, restlessness, aggression, panic attacks, mania, and insomnia.

This medication could also cause sleepiness and impact your ability to think, causing confusion and problems with concentration, attention, memory, and speech.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/topamax

I used to take a drug called Remeron.  It has a rare side effect:

mood or mental changes, including anger, feelings of being outside the body, hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there), mood swings, and unusual excitement

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/remeron-side-effects.html
The bolded effect is something I actually experienced before it was a known side effect.  Being incorrectly diagnosed as a bipolar schizophrenic because of a rare drug side effect was not the most fun experience.

Those are just two examples that I know of from personal experience.  Drug side effects like this are certainly rare, but if Bird did not have a history of violent behavior, I wouldn’t rule it out if he was in fact taking them, especially given the coincidence of a severe seizure.

« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
The Athletic story on this indicates Jabari was released under the supervision of a former high school coach and Jaylen Brown's mother. 

« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
It blows my mind how 'some' people here think they have all the answers to what's going on in this scenario based on what's being stated in the media.  Unless you're the judge or a part of the jury when this case goes to court, you have zero clue as to what really happened here, despite what you think you know because of...

If he is guilty it will be determined in the court of law and if prison is his outcome then that's something he'll have to live with, but to convict and say someone belongs in prison without knowing all the facts is juvenile and irresponsible to say the least.

This is why we have a court of law.

Hopefully the woman recovers fully from her injuries, both physically and mentally.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2018, 08:34:24 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It blows my mind how 'some' people here think they have all the answers to what's going on in this scenario based on what's being stated in the media.  Unless you're the judge or a part of the jury when this case goes to court, you have zero clue as to what really happened here, despite what you think you know because of...

If he is guilty it will be determined in the court of law and if prison is his outcome then that's something he'll have to live with, but to convict and say someone belongs in prison without knowing all the facts is juvenile and irresponsible to say the least.

Hopefully the woman recovers fully from her injuries, both physically and mentally.
Yeah, no sense in even speculating.  It is a tough situation.  Thankfully the outcome was not as bad as it might have been.  Beyond that, I’ll watch and wait to see what happens.  If any of this is remotely true then Bird’s nba career is likely over.  But that’s the least of his concerns.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:58:51 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2018, 08:39:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I don’t agree with the comments saying or implying  “this has never happened to me. I have anxiety. so Jabari is lying”

We don’t know what jabari suffers from. Seizures isn’t normal no matter what. We shall see what medical issues he has

« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2018, 08:48:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What’s the set of facts that makes torturing somebody for four hours acceptable? Something that shouldn’t be strongly condemned?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2018, 10:25:12 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

What’s the set of facts that makes torturing somebody for four hours acceptable? Something that shouldn’t be strongly condemned?

It could've been fabricated. I don't think it is, but we can't 100% be sure unless we were there. That is why we wait until the case is resolve to condemn anyone.

« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2018, 10:30:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It could've been fabricated. I don't think it is, but we can't 100% be sure unless we were there. That is why we wait until the case is resolve to condemn anyone.

I’m 100% sure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2018, 10:41:18 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Ugh, she was treated for injuries at the hospital. If you read the police report it states that the doctor concluded that she sustained internal bleeding behind her ear as one of her injuries. That's pretty hard to fabricate don't you think?

The report also included a screenshot of the threat Bird made to kill himself if his girlfriend didn't come back. That speaks as to his state of mind at the time.

« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2018, 10:41:22 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I’m 100% sure.

Were you there?

« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2018, 10:42:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
When the young woman - who is not being identified - returned to her dorm room she had cuts on her neck, bumps on her head, and extensive bruising, police wrote in a police report obtained by MassLive.

In addition to cuts and bruises on her face and neck, she suffered internal bleeding behind her ear, police said in the report.

Not. A. Fabrication.

« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2018, 10:43:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I’m 100% sure.

Were you there?

No, I just don’t believe in magical thinking.

« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2018, 11:33:55 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Jackie Mac's piece about mental health more important than ever.

Strange details in this one. Victim reported that Jabari started having seizures during this weird sadistic strangulation session.

No doubt a lot more to come out in time.

Pretty funny that Jaylen's mum is effectively a guarantor now...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2018, 12:16:07 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
This is domestic assault, but also sociopathic behavior. Very disturbing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:21:50 AM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2018, 01:47:44 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
So he goes bonkers, basically tortures the girl, then has a mental breakdown and a seizure? He's not going to be on the Cs any longer but there's definitely something else going on there, wether it's mental or pharmaceutical or whatever. Either this guy has seriously bad mental issues or he did some super hard stuff that did no go well. Not condoning his actions in any way. Just saying something has to go wrong for that entire episode to happen.

This is extremely, extremely speculative and should be taken with huge amounts of salt but the kinds of reactions - the violence and suicidality but especially the powerful anxiety and frequent seizures followed by passing out - that are being described sound like some of the extreme cases of people overdosing on synthetic marijuana (spice, K2, etc). Especially if there's a pre-existing mental issue there.

Again there's zero evidence that this is the case, it just comes to mind as consistent with what's being reported.

My impression too.  Sounds like a psychotic episode that was either initiated or exacerbated by drug use -- spice, cocaine, k2, etc.  May have also been a prescription overdose, like a benzodiazepine.  Sad story if true, but your gut instinct is familiar for inpatient psych admissions.  I feel terrible for her, but if we are right (and I suspect you're always right), for him as well .   
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 02:05:48 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC