Author Topic: Jabari Bird arrested  (Read 46298 times)

Re: Jabari Bird arrested
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2018, 03:00:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I've heard its bad.  Like real bad. 

He's done.

The woman ended up IN THE HOSPITAL people. We could be talking about War Machine here. And people are talking about mental health like he had a bad day or something.

Well the two things are not mutually exclusive.

He could be mentally ill, and the woman could have been very badly injured from what he did to her.

And who cares if he is mentally ill in that case? He's headed to jail, possibly prison, and rightfully so.
what if she was the instigator?  what if she was the main aggressor?

These are almost always complicated situations.  It is better to just let things play out before making grandiose statements about things you know nothing about.

Not sure how you can be the main aggressor if you're the one being kidnapped & borderline tortured.
based on her words.  May very well be true, but as we saw from Nick Diaz (the link in this thread) those type of allegations aren't always true.

You’re assuming there were no other witnesses. We don’t know enough to make that assumption
and that was my point from the beginning.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Deleted; just saw the mod's ask to refrain from politics.

« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2018, 03:23:58 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
This may be an insensitive, although not entirely inappropriate, question. But if this whole thing is determined to be mental health related, is there any room for the Celtics to get an injury exemption for the roster spot?

Perhaps it opens up time for the 2-way guys to use up all of their eligibility with the big club. I expect the team to utilize their depth to get through the long regular season with the best chance at health for the playoffs.

« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2018, 04:47:03 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think people are getting ahead of themselves on the possibility of Bird using some sort of mental illness defense. He may very well claim, and indeed have, some sort of mental illness, but even if true it likely isn't going to be the basis for an insanity defense. Laws are pretty specific as to what sort of mental issue can qualify one to be judged not legally responsible for a criminal act. Jails are full of people with serious mental issues who have been nevertheless judged competent to stand trial and pay the price for their crimes.

« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2018, 06:59:38 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think people are getting ahead of themselves on the possibility of Bird using some sort of mental illness defense. He may very well claim, and indeed have, some sort of mental illness, but even if true it likely isn't going to be the basis for an insanity defense. Laws are pretty specific as to what sort of mental issue can qualify one to be judged not legally responsible for a criminal act. Jails are full of people with serious mental issues who have been nevertheless judged competent to stand trial and pay the price for their crimes.

If only he had affluenza.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2018, 08:00:53 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Has anyone read any news reports about the incident that use a masculine or feminine pronoun for the victim?

I haven't, and I find that a little odd.

A gay lover, and Bird being outed, would explain a lot, especially the 4th night stay in what is most likely the psych unit.

« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2018, 08:05:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Has anyone read any news reports about the incident that use a masculine or feminine pronoun for the victim?

A gay lover, and Bird being outed, would explain a lot, especially the 4th night stay in what is most likely the psych unit.

One of the reports indicated that in MA, cops aren't allow to confirm a lot of the details about the victim, including their gender.  Under those circumstances, I'm surprised that they acknowledged that it was a romantic partner.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2018, 08:20:23 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

One of the reports indicated that in MA, cops aren't allow to confirm a lot of the details about the victim, including their gender.  Under those circumstances, I'm surprised that they acknowledged that it was a romantic partner.

TP, and thanx for the info.

Check this out, though pretty detailed...I find the "strangulation" sections interesting from a legal perspective.

https://www.mass.gov/files/2017-08/2017-domestic-violence-law-enforcement-guidelines.pdf

EDIT: Pretty weird, though that so few details about the incident are floating around....witnesses, circumstances, location, given the age of TMZ that we live in.

« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Check this out, though pretty detailed...I find the "strangulation" sections interesting from a legal perspective.

https://www.mass.gov/files/2017-08/2017-domestic-violence-law-enforcement-guidelines.pdf

EDIT: Pretty weird, though that so few details about the incident are floating around....witnesses, circumstances, location, given the age of TMZ that we live in.

Yeah, I'm surprised that there haven't been a lot of leaks.  I'm not sure if it's the cops being tight-lipped, the media choosing not to publish, or the media being lazy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2018, 11:16:34 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2018, 09:00:45 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Yeah, I'm surprised that there haven't been a lot of leaks.  I'm not sure if it's the cops being tight-lipped, the media choosing not to publish, or the media being lazy.

Media is never lazy on sensational stories like this.  1 or 2 is more likely.

« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Most of the C's media is off during the next couple of weeks until training camp opens. Plus, let's not kid ourselves, Bird is a scrub. If this were Irving it would be national news. For example, if Alex Abrines would have a similar incident, would any Boston fan care?

« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2018, 10:02:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Most of the C's media is off during the next couple of weeks until training camp opens. Plus, let's not kid ourselves, Bird is a scrub. If this were Irving it would be national news. For example, if Alex Abrines would have a similar incident, would any Boston fan care?
no, but the OKC media would be all over it.  The fact that a city the size of Boston hasn't been able to put out more information on something involving a Boston athlete is a bit odd.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2018, 10:10:53 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

no, but the OKC media would be all over it.  The fact that a city the size of Boston hasn't been able to put out more information on something involving a Boston athlete is a bit odd.

Or maybe they wait for reliable information to come out.

« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52