Author Topic: Jabari Bird arrested  (Read 46298 times)

Re: Jabari Bird arrested
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Celtics shooting guard Jabari Bird remains at an undisclosed hospital, and it is not clear whether he will appear in the Brighton courthouse Monday to face charges stemming from a “domestic incident’’ where he allegedly assaulted, choked, and kidnapped a person on Friday, according to Boston police.

On Saturday, Bird was taken to a hospital for an “evaluation’’ that remains ongoing as of early Monday, according to Boston police. Once his release is approved by doctors, police will pick him up at the hospital, book him on the charges and bring him to Brighton Municipal Court, police said. However, it’s not clear, as of early Monday, if he will be medically cleared for release, police said.

No further information is being released, police said. Citing a state law that bars police from disclosing most details of an alleged incident of domestic violence, police have declined to disclose where Bird was arrested, what time it happened or the gender of the person he is alleged to have attacked.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2018, 10:59:11 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Celtics shooting guard Jabari Bird remains at an undisclosed hospital, and it is not clear whether he will appear in the Brighton courthouse Monday to face charges stemming from a “domestic incident’’ where he allegedly assaulted, choked, and kidnapped a person on Friday, according to Boston police.

On Saturday, Bird was taken to a hospital for an “evaluation’’ that remains ongoing as of early Monday, according to Boston police. Once his release is approved by doctors, police will pick him up at the hospital, book him on the charges and bring him to Brighton Municipal Court, police said. However, it’s not clear, as of early Monday, if he will be medically cleared for release, police said.

No further information is being released, police said. Citing a state law that bars police from disclosing most details of an alleged incident of domestic violence, police have declined to disclose where Bird was arrested, what time it happened or the gender of the person he is alleged to have attacked.

That "evaluation" term sounds an awful lot like a 48 or 72 hour psychiatric hold. Hope everybody, especially the victim, gets the help they need as this is sorted out.

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've heard its bad.  Like real bad. 

He's done.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

He's done.

The woman ended up IN THE HOSPITAL people. We could be talking about War Machine here. And people are talking about mental health like he had a bad day or something.

« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707

He's done.

The woman ended up IN THE HOSPITAL people. We could be talking about War Machine here. And people are talking about mental health like he had a bad day or something.

Well the two things are not mutually exclusive.

He could be mentally ill, and the woman could have been very badly injured from what he did to her.

« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2018, 11:42:21 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

He's done.

He could be mentally ill, and the woman could have been very badly injured from what he did to her.

And who cares if he is mentally ill in that case? He's headed to jail, possibly prison, and rightfully so.

« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2018, 11:46:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

He's done.

And who cares if he is mentally ill in that case? He's headed to jail, possibly prison, and rightfully so.
what if she was the instigator?  what if she was the main aggressor?

These are almost always complicated situations.  It is better to just let things play out before making grandiose statements about things you know nothing about.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2018, 11:48:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

He's done.

I agree.  If true, what Bird did was legit psycho and he absolutely belongs in jail.  Whether or not, he's mentally ill, what he allegedly did was so sick & messed up, the mental health aspect of it shouldn't matter.

Unless he pulls off some convoluted twinkie defense, he's going to be in jail for quite some time.  Rightfully so.  And his NBA career is absolutely over.

« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

He's done.

These are almost always complicated situations.  It is better to just let things play out before making grandiose statements about things you know nothing about.

Not sure how you can be the main aggressor if you're the one being kidnapped & borderline tortured.

« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2018, 11:51:50 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

He's done.

Well that's not the police position. HE is the perpetrator and HE is the only one being charged. I'm not making "grandiose statements about things I know nothing about". I'm simply repeating facts that are publicly known and statements by the police that he WILL be charged with three major counts. Stop being obtuse. This is not some gray area situation.

« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707

He's done.

I agree.  If true, what Bird did was legit psycho and he absolutely belongs in jail.  Whether or not, he's mentally ill, what he allegedly did was so sick & messed up, the mental health aspect of it shouldn't matter.

Unless he pulls off some convoluted twinkie defense, he's going to be in jail for quite some time.  Rightfully so.  And his NBA career is absolutely over.

The legal system differentiates between the two though. If he is legitimately mentally ill, then he gets sent to a psychiatric treatment facility instead of prison.

« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He's done.

It could mean the difference between imprisonment and institutionalization, and affect how people think about why it happened, but you're right that if the charges are accurate he's a danger to others and possibly himself either way.

It also feels gross to be discussing this but it could possibly have contract ramifications. I don't know nearly enough about standard language to say for sure though.

twinkie defense

TP for a real deep cut!  Here's the link for anyone who's interested.

« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

He's done.

The legal system differentiates between the two though. If he is legitimately mentally ill, then he gets sent to a psychiatric treatment facility instead of prison.

I understand that but I really don't think the case of Jabari Bird, given the alleged circumstances (if true) come to light , is where people should be using mental health as an excuse, IMO.

That's what I was getting at there.

« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2018, 12:33:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

He's done.

I understand that but I really don't think the case of Jabari Bird, given the alleged circumstances (if true) come to light , is where people should be using mental health as an excuse, IMO.

We have a new fact today (at least, it's new to me). According to the front page of celticsblog, Bird is also hospitalized. It doesn't say why.

I agree with what I take to be your point - I would be surprised if he has the kind of mental illness that would get him out of a criminal punishment. That would be something like paranoid delusions, and he was functioning at too high a level. But still, if he's in the hospital why is that? Does anybody know?

« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

He's done.

We have a new fact today (at least, it's new to me). According to the front page of celticsblog, Bird is also hospitalized. It doesn't say why.

I agree with what I take to be your point - I would be surprised if he has the kind of mental illness that would get him out of a criminal punishment. That would be something like paranoid delusions, and he was functioning at too high a level. But still, if he's in the hospital why is that? Does anybody know?

He could be on suicide watch or something, we don't know. Seems he's headed right to his indictment hearing as soon as he gets out however..