Author Topic: Narrative: The Boston Celtics are once again Underdogs  (Read 764 times)

Narrative: The Boston Celtics are once again Underdogs
« on: February 07, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I still think the Celtics have more talent than anyone in the East, but the media narrative will be that the Bucks, Sixers, and Raptors all have more talent. The media narrative will be that the Celtics are waiting for Anthony Davis, but while they are waiting, other teams got better than them. The media narrative will be that the Celtics are the fourth best team, and the Celtics, Raptors, and Bucks will easily beat them.

Brad Stevens has always functioned well in the underdog role, not because he preaches the whole "nobody believed in us" sermon, but because his teams always have the most continuity, the most rhythm, the most trust in each other, the most belief in the system.

Continuity matters. I still think, player for the player, the Celtics have the most talent in the East, but I also think that, come playoff time, they will also have the most continuity.

It's the reason I think they can win the championship this year.

Re: Narrative: The Boston Celtics are once again Underdogs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
If any of the raptors bucks or sixers start clicking in the playoffs and we play the way we are now...we’re done.   If we gel, we’ll be fine.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 04:38:14 PM »

• Paul Silas
If any of the raptors bucks or sixers start clicking in the playoffs and we play the way we are now...we’re done.   If we gel, we’ll be fine.

Guess I think we are clicking pretty well right now. Best point differential in the NBA since Thanksgiving.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 04:45:59 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The Celtics are hampered by Stevens' perceived abhorrence for bigs. Long guys who can defend the rim and rebound. In fact, you have to wonder how Davis would fit in that regard, though that doesn't seem to be a factor with Ainge.

At this point, the Celtics seems awfully small to go all the way. Small against the Warriors, the Sixers and the Raptors. The Bucks haven't improved themselves, so I'm less concerned about them. What they need is a Jordan or a Gortat (?). A big who Stevens will play.

That picture could be modified if Hayward morphs into the old Hayward in time for the playoffs.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 04:52:56 PM »

• Paul Silas
The Celtics are hampered by Stevens' perceived abhorrence for bigs. Long guys who can defend the rim and rebound. In fact, you have to wonder how Davis would fit in that regard, though that doesn't seem to be a factor with Ainge.

At this point, the Celtics seems awfully small to go all the way. Small against the Warriors, the Sixers and the Raptors. The Bucks haven't improved themselves, so I'm less concerned about them. What they need is a Jordan or a Gortat (?). A big who Stevens will play.

That picture could be modified if Hayward morphs into the old Hayward in time for the playoffs.

Lol. I don't think I'd enjoy watching Gortat or Jordan trying to defend Leonard, Siakim, Simmons, or Giannis on the perimeter.

I know that commentary is a common refrain, but the reason the Celtics liked Baynes so much is that he can hold his own in moments on the perimeter while defending tough inside. It's why they like Horford, Theis, and Williams.

There's a reason why so many big guys will be on the buyout market this year - Monroe, Kanter, Lopez, Dedmon, Gortat, etc. They just aren't as important as many fans think. They can't stay on the court in a playoff series. They get picked on by good guards and wings. The rebounding/finishing they offer doesn't outweigh the problems they cause.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 05:22:34 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Real quick. Theis' per 36 numbers are virtually identical to Gasol... except Theis is having a much better year behind the arc.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Real quick. Theis' per 36 numbers are virtually identical to Gasol... except Theis is having a much better year behind the arc.

Gasol looked like he was phoning it in and bringing it only occasionally