Author Topic: Anyone on Celticsblog lift weights?  (Read 15881 times)

Re: Anyone on Celticsblog lift weights?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I work at a YMCA and one thing that I get to do is teach a class for teenagers to learn how to properly perform free weight exercises with the right posture. It's tough telling teenagers to learn the form first and then worry about the weight.

The situation itself, for the most part, if it gradually goes down after a couple of days when resting, then it might just be muscle soreness. If the pain remains for a few days and if it increases, then there might be something wrong. I would not recommend performing any power lifting if you are just starting to get back into it. Power lifting involves multiple muscle groups working in unison to perform the movement. If the major and supporting muscles are uneven in strength, you could strain a ligament and what not.

Also, one thing that is very important to mention. Make sure that you give the muscle that you are working on at least 1 day to rest. You are literally ripping apart muscle fibers that need to be rested in order to receive the proper nutrients for muscle growth. If you work on the same muscle over and over again, you would be ripping the muscle more and more and could result in some very uncomfortable injuries.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
one thing i am really interested in is the impact diet has on performance and transformation of one's body. 

what type of diets and supplements (if applicable) do others follow/use?

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 05:25:37 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
how you find your motivation

i post pictures on my cell phone, training areas, computer, etc.  i either take pics of my medals i have won from martial arts competitions (usually when i have a competition coming up), and pics of my hero, bruce lee.

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I am not a weight lifter, but I am interested in sustaining my health and keeping relaitvely fit.  About 4 years ago (at 48) I started exercising more regularly and I do a short routine about 3-4 times a week (plus basketball once a week).   

My issue is my shoulders.  Every time I start to move a little bit ahead in terms of weight on chest exercises, my shoulders end up in pain (hurts to lie on my side; hurts to lift my arms high -- I get a painful joint crack when I do).  I have given up on bench press and push-ups completely as those both kill my shoulders.  I am assuming that I need to get an MRI at some point and let an orthopedist go at whatever the problem is. But... just thought I'd throw it out there for any advice as you all seem to know what you are doing -- and I definitely don't.

If by "chest" you mean bench press, you might be better off with a standing overhead press. Those are much easier on your shoulders, and they have the benefit of working both front and rear delts as well as giving your core a boost.

If you don't want to abandon the bench entirely, you can just alternate bench and overhead press.

Dumbbell presses (standing or bench) also tend to be easier on your shoulders, mostly because your max weight with those is a lot lower. But you get an extra workout just moving the things on and off the rack!
Boris offers some good advice here, but I would also add that it may be that your grip is too wide and that you aren't keeping your elbows tucked to your sides. If you flare your elbows out to the sides it recruits your front delts & triceps to aid your chest--same with pushups. Here's a simple test you can try at home: get in a push up position on the floor with your hands lined up directly under your shoulders. Keeping your elbows tucked in to your sides the best you can, close to parallel with you body, execute a few pushups. Keep your core tight and focus your attention on contracting your pecs & triceps. If you no longer feel the pain you had before, try some light benching with a barbell using this method. Or with dumbells, grip them so your palms are facing each other, bring the weights down to your armpits with your elbows tucked in and push straight up. At the bottom of the motion your forearms should be perpendicular to the floor, with the weights directly over your shoulders, and you should push the weight up along the same straight trajectory--this is called your force vector. It should help to alleviate the pressure on your shoulder joints.

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
one thing i am really interested in is the impact diet has on performance and transformation of one's body. 

I don't diet, as I am a chef and need to taste everything I make. I like to eat clean as much as possible. I simply avoid over processed foods from the obvious (junk food, soda) to the not so obvious (exchange brown rice for white, sugar in the raw for white sugar). I eat heart healthy grains that are high in protein like quinoa, barley, brown rice and lots of legumes like black beans & lentils. Red meat once a week, lots of chicken, turkey, fish, sweet potatoes colorful veggies.

As for supplements, I take lots of Whey protein, Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex to be exact. Also, creatine monohydrate, glutamine, potassium, omega complex, zma (zinc, magnesium & arginine blend, which is important for us fellas over 35) and a multi vitamin. I take jack3d as my pre workout energy crack. it's AMAZING, but if you are sensitive to stimulants, try something else!

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

I don't diet, as I am a chef and need to taste everything I make. I like to eat clean as much as possible. I simply avoid over processed foods from the obvious (junk food, soda) to the not so obvious (exchange brown rice for white, sugar in the raw for white sugar). I eat heart healthy grains that are high in protein like quinoa, barley, brown rice and lots of legumes like black beans & lentils. Red meat once a week, lots of chicken, turkey, fish, sweet potatoes colorful veggies.

As for supplements, I take lots of Whey protein, Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex to be exact. Also, creatine monohydrate, glutamine, potassium, omega complex, zma (zinc, magnesium & arginine blend, which is important for us fellas over 35) and a multi vitamin. I take jack3d as my pre workout energy crack. it's AMAZING, but if you are sensitive to stimulants, try something else!

thats cool, thx for sharing (tp).  i stick to a diet but havent messed with supplements.  im kinda clueless as to what the ones u listed do.  are they geared towards bulking up and building muscle?  im interested in supplements (that are safe) to get lean and cut, not bulky.

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton

thats cool, thx for sharing (tp).  i stick to a diet but havent messed with supplements.  im kinda clueless as to what the ones u listed do.  are they geared towards bulking up and building muscle?  im interested in supplements (that are safe) to get lean and cut, not bulky.
creatine has lots of studies backing it as a safe supplement to use regularly. Creatine is a molecule that is stored in our muscles that converts to energy (2% of our energy comes from this daily). It is said to give you strength & energy boosts and aids in muscle recovery in conjunction with amino acids like glutamine. There's a ton of info all over the web, and athletes in pretty much all sports use it in one form or another. It's not steroid, or illegal and isn't going to turn you into a meat joke. Whey Protein is a great staple in any active person's supplementation--we expend a ton of energy, need to replace it, but we also need to repair our muscles. The body seeks protein for both of these needs, and it will take the best possible fuel you provide. Whey protein is great because it is the fastest absorbing protein out there which is important--if you don't replace your energy stores immediately after a workout, your body can enter a catabolic state, where it actually breaks down your muscle tissue to use as energy. Not only is it tearing down all that muscle you just tried to build, it now has nothing left to repair it with! That's why proper protein supplementation is very important. All the hard work you put into a workout to get stronger is lost if you don't have the proper nutrition.

Long story short, if I had to advise on supplements to start with, I would say first, a top notch multi-vitamin. Second, a whey protein. Third, creatine.

And if you want a performance enhancing supplement to give you energy, focus, a strength boost and endurance, go with a pre-workout supp like Jack3d, N.O. Xplode, Superpump 250...These are like Red Bull for athletes...

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
Oh, the supplements I listed will only make you bulky if you structure your workouts that way. All those mentioned will help you to be/stay lean, but it's the work you put in that will ultimately make the difference. You won't just take this stuff and start putting on slabs of muscle--they aren't a means to an end, they will just give you some advantages in achieving your goals.

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 06:01:59 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
I am not a weight lifter, but I am interested in sustaining my health and keeping relaitvely fit.  About 4 years ago (at 48) I started exercising more regularly and I do a short routine about 3-4 times a week (plus basketball once a week).   

My issue is my shoulders.  Every time I start to move a little bit ahead in terms of weight on chest exercises, my shoulders end up in pain (hurts to lie on my side; hurts to lift my arms high -- I get a painful joint crack when I do).  I have given up on bench press and push-ups completely as those both kill my shoulders.  I am assuming that I need to get an MRI at some point and let an orthopedist go at whatever the problem is. But... just thought I'd throw it out there for any advice as you all seem to know what you are doing -- and I definitely don't.

If by "chest" you mean bench press, you might be better off with a standing overhead press. Those are much easier on your shoulders, and they have the benefit of working both front and rear delts as well as giving your core a boost.

If you don't want to abandon the bench entirely, you can just alternate bench and overhead press.

Dumbbell presses (standing or bench) also tend to be easier on your shoulders, mostly because your max weight with those is a lot lower. But you get an extra workout just moving the things on and off the rack!
Boris offers some good advice here, but I would also add that it may be that your grip is too wide and that you aren't keeping your elbows tucked to your sides. If you flare your elbows out to the sides it recruits your front delts & triceps to aid your chest--same with pushups. Here's a simple test you can try at home: get in a push up position on the floor with your hands lined up directly under your shoulders. Keeping your elbows tucked in to your sides the best you can, close to parallel with you body, execute a few pushups. Keep your core tight and focus your attention on contracting your pecs & triceps. If you no longer feel the pain you had before, try some light benching with a barbell using this method. Or with dumbells, grip them so your palms are facing each other, bring the weights down to your armpits with your elbows tucked in and push straight up. At the bottom of the motion your forearms should be perpendicular to the floor, with the weights directly over your shoulders, and you should push the weight up along the same straight trajectory--this is called your force vector. It should help to alleviate the pressure on your shoulder joints.

Wow -- thanks to both of you! 
I tried the push-up test -- and I had a very hard time executing a push-up in that way!  But, I can see how this puts a very different strain on the shoulders. I may try as you suggested with light dumbells  as I clearly have used a wide approach without the elbows tucked.  I fear, though, that the shoulders have something wrong that needs fixing.  The weakness of my shoulders is very apparent.  I had hoped to be able to strengthen my chest -- but I guess I need my shoulders to work in order to do that! Thanks for the suggestions! 

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Oh, the supplements I listed will only make you bulky if you structure your workouts that way. All those mentioned will help you to be/stay lean, but it's the work you put in that will ultimately make the difference. You won't just take this stuff and start putting on slabs of muscle--they aren't a means to an end, they will just give you some advantages in achieving your goals.

this is my regiment.....would they produce any noticable change in ur opinion?

i do very light weight training and prefer to do resistance training instead, along with a lot of cardio.  i do martial arts 4/5 times a week, lots of pushups and situps, running, hitting heavy bag, and light lifting (curls and bench only).  im lean and very cut.  my strength, flexibility, and endurance are all excellent.

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Long story short, if I had to advise on supplements to start with, I would say first, a top notch multi-vitamin. Second, a whey protein. Third, creatine.

Birdwatcher -- what is a top-notch multi-vitamin (note: over 50)?

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

creatine has lots of studies backing it as a safe supplement to use regularly. Creatine is a molecule that is stored in our muscles that converts to energy (2% of our energy comes from this daily). It is said to give you strength & energy boosts and aids in muscle recovery in conjunction with amino acids like glutamine. There's a ton of info all over the web, and athletes in pretty much all sports use it in one form or another. It's not steroid, or illegal and isn't going to turn you into a meat joke. Whey Protein is a great staple in any active person's supplementation--we expend a ton of energy, need to replace it, but we also need to repair our muscles. The body seeks protein for both of these needs, and it will take the best possible fuel you provide. Whey protein is great because it is the fastest absorbing protein out there which is important--if you don't replace your energy stores immediately after a workout, your body can enter a catabolic state, where it actually breaks down your muscle tissue to use as energy. Not only is it tearing down all that muscle you just tried to build, it now has nothing left to repair it with! That's why proper protein supplementation is very important. All the hard work you put into a workout to get stronger is lost if you don't have the proper nutrition.

And if you want a performance enhancing supplement to give you energy, focus, a strength boost and endurance, go with a pre-workout supp like Jack3d, N.O. Xplode, Superpump 250...These are like Red Bull for athletes...

somehow i missed this post.  this is GREAT info, thx.  i am just starting to research this stuff and kinda reluctant.

can u suggest a top notch multivitamin?

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 06:18:29 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I work at a YMCA and one thing that I get to do is teach a class for teenagers to learn how to properly perform free weight exercises with the right posture. It's tough telling teenagers to learn the form first and then worry about the weight.

The situation itself, for the most part, if it gradually goes down after a couple of days when resting, then it might just be muscle soreness. If the pain remains for a few days and if it increases, then there might be something wrong. I would not recommend performing any power lifting if you are just starting to get back into it. Power lifting involves multiple muscle groups working in unison to perform the movement. If the major and supporting muscles are uneven in strength, you could strain a ligament and what not.

Also, one thing that is very important to mention. Make sure that you give the muscle that you are working on at least 1 day to rest. You are literally ripping apart muscle fibers that need to be rested in order to receive the proper nutrients for muscle growth. If you work on the same muscle over and over again, you would be ripping the muscle more and more and could result in some very uncomfortable injuries.

where are you from? I'm from boston i go to the YMCA in chinatown, i worked out for 4 years now, but have to rest for 6 months because of tendinitis =(

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton

this is my regiment.....would they produce any noticable change in ur opinion?

i do very light weight training and prefer to do resistance training instead, along with a lot of cardio.  i do martial arts 4/5 times a week, lots of pushups and situps, running, hitting heavy bag, and light lifting (curls and bench only).  im lean and very cut.  my strength, flexibility, and endurance are all excellent.
The creatine/pre workout supps may help you in the following ways: increase your endurance for longer, more intense cardio, weight training and calisthenics. it will increase your focus which will help you to maintain proper form and to get you through the tough parts of your routine

creatine/protein will give you the energy you need to sustain this high level of activity (you're a beast, kid!), and will definitely aid in recovery.

The good thing for you is, it sounds like if you're that cut, that lean, and that active, that you are probably in a caloric deficit most of the time. Meaning, you take in less calories than you burn--that means taking on some extra calories will give you more energy, strength gains, and ultimatley more muscle without the added worry of putting on any unwanted fat. Don't worry, you won't become a muscled out gym joke--you need about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of your own body weight to make significant gains. Bodybuilders go through a bulking phase where they may ingest 300+ grams of protein a day to achieve those hulking physiques. Then they have to got through 6-8 weeks of a cutting phase where they consume high amounts of protein, but maintain a caloric deficit along with high intensity training to shed the unnecessary weight.

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 06:28:11 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
Multivitamins:

I use GNC Men's Mega Sport, which I think they also sell at drugstores like CVS and Rite Aid, Walgreens. They also offer one for 50+ that is beneficial for prostate health, among others.

Another good I've used in the past, but I have to order it online because GNC is almost always out of it is Opti-Men by Optimum Nutrition.

One observation--there are many EXPENSIVE options out there that offer "Vita-paks", which is anywhere form 7-12 pills you need to take a day. I tried one once, it was too expensive and I hate taking that many pills. They didn't make me feel any different than what I take now.

Also, I heard the One-a-day vitamins are crap because they don't absorb very well, but the Nature's Way brand is pretty good and you can get them at target and whole foods.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:34:26 PM by birdwatcher »