Author Topic: Celticsblog's community comes shining through again.  (Read 6989 times)

Re: Celticsblog's community comes shining through again.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I was complaining. Just trying to paint a picture. I actually laughed out loud when I saw it.
It is funny - just inappropriate

...what's good for the goose is good for the gander applied as you pointed out
Yup

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 08:31:41 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

Back on subject......

As one of the two Nick mentioned, I have to honestly say that I truly appreciated.....no, warmly appreciated the fact that for the moments that I sat in the hospital waiting room a few weeks ago (a waiting room with free wireless access but no cell phone coverage!!) I had a community to share my thoughts with.

Sappy?  Tacky?  Yup, you better believe it, but what's wrong with that?  Community, neighbors and family have always been there in the traditional sense to rally around "one of their own" when the chips are down.  Look in any newspaper and read about a bake sale to help a family who lost all in a fire or a car wash to assist someone who is ill.  Those are the values (if we are lucky) are instilled in us when we are young. 

For the few hours I sat in the waiting room watching all the other patients come and go while my wife continued to undergo yet another battery of tests to figure out what we were facing, I had (via the computer) a community a neighborhood that rose to the occasion.  What was crazy about it was this -- it was unplanned, unscripted, unrehearsed, it was real.  Real fear by met by real concern by others.....pretty [dang] cool and humbling.

Like any neighborhood or any community, the local cookouts or little league fundraisers are not for everyone, but that's ok....in fact, that's expected.  Every community needs a healthy dose of cynicism, nothing wrong with a little "ba humbug" every now and then.  That's why there are different parts to every community, don't want to partake in town politics - no problem, don't attend the meetings.  Celticsblog is the same, don't like a particular thread, go onto the next one or even start one of your own.

The internet has indeed formed many many communities, bring folks together to share stories about subjects that they share a mutual interest in.  From Facebook, Linked In and My Space to Celticsblog and the thousands of similar venues (similar in the sense of sharing same ideas, not similar as in Celticsblog is a dime a dozen) the world is better place for the bonds that are being built.  Heck, I even met someone I went to junior high school with through CelticsBlog, how's that for bringing people closer together.  (That would be Redz, who by the way was kind enough to sponsor my sister's ride in the Pan Mass Challenge last week --- deeply appreciated!!)

So, like so many of the other folks on this site, I am glad Jsaad is back on track.  Like Jsaad, I am truly honored to be a member of this neighborhood..........................even if Redz leaves us scratching our heads sometimes!! (hugging bodybuilders???)

Peace,
SSF

PS:  Nick, thanks for opening this door.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 08:40:34 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
ssfan, i know what u mean.

i shared in a thread several months ago that my wife and i suffered a miscarriage.  it was a difficult time for me. i was obviously upset, saddened, and just in a funk about the situation.  i was strong for my wife, who had a really difficult time with it.  it was nice to see words of encouragement from bloggers.  it might not seem like much to people not utilizing the community, but for those that do, its very rewarding and appreciative.

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 08:46:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Hugging bodybuilders aside, I have many times shared my sentiments about the importance this community has developed in the scope of my life.  I've vented about various things, shared odd stories, and an occasional video about what I had for dinner.  Those who say "dude, this is called "CelticsBlog" are well within their rights to say so but fail to recognize that it has taken a deeper space in many of our lives.

All that and it does wonders for the physique

Darn it, sorry...It had to be done ;D
Yup

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I was complaining. Just trying to paint a picture. I actually laughed out loud when I saw it.

Ooops just noticed my typo.....umm, I meant I wasn't complaining. LOL. Gee how long did I look like an ass there. ::)

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 09:34:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Ooops just noticed my typo.....umm, I meant I wasn't complaining. LOL. Gee how long did I look like an ass there. ::)

I actually had assumed the typo Nick...the context had you covered ;)
Yup