Poll

What is the biggest reason you give TPs?  (3 votes)

Post makes you laugh
28 (23%)
Post makes you think
19 (15.6%)
Helpful post
19 (15.6%)
Post has good info/insight
36 (29.5%)
Someone else gave you a TP
4 (3.3%)
You just like a certain poster
3 (2.5%)
You are in a really good mood
6 (4.9%)
Some agreed with you
5 (4.1%)
Banning Lakers trolls
0 (0%)
Other
2 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Why do you give TPs? (plus other off-topic discussion from the mod staff)  (Read 18075 times)

Re: Why do you give TPs?
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2008, 09:45:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'm sure Dark_Lord expected it to look like this:

thats just awesome chief...i owe u a TP. i just gave one out and have to wait an hour >:(

hobbs, thanks for the info.  i think a lot of posters wonder what goes on "behind closed doors" with the mods and how different things are decided, such as naming a mod, suspensions, bans, etc.

Reaches to expand the dark side the Dark Lord does. Power he craves.

a true sith lord always craves power! LOL.  honestly i was just curious. nothing more, nothing less. i didnt intend to make it sound like i was implying how a sith could become a mod ;)

Basically, a lot of talking to decide what is the best direction for the site. 

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This maybe none of my business; but did Bass Thumper get suspended or banned? I'm just curious because it seems like the guy disappeared. I always enjoyed his unique style and love for the Celtics.

For the record, its official policy not to comment on suspensions or bans publicly, one way or the other.  If none of the staff responds, I don't want you to take that as confirmation or denial.

Not necessarily related to Bass, but sometimes our longterm members just decide they need a break.  Dark_lord I know admitted to doing this.  Others of our members have, as well.  Other times, members are having personal issues. 

If you find a member hasn't posted in awhile, I'd suggest shooting them a PM.  I'm honestly not sure what happens to PMs for banned or suspended members, but for those who are just taking a break from the site, it will be forwarded to the email address they provided.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This maybe none of my business; but did Bass Thumper get suspended or banned? I'm just curious because it seems like the guy disappeared. I always enjoyed his unique style and love for the Celtics.

For the record, its official policy not to comment on suspensions or bans publicly, one way or the other.  If none of the staff responds, I don't want you to take that as confirmation or denial.

Not necessarily related to Bass, but sometimes our longterm members just decide they need a break.  Dark_lord I know admitted to doing this.  Others of our members have, as well.  Other times, members are having personal issues. 

If you find a member hasn't posted in awhile, I'd suggest shooting them a PM.  I'm honestly not sure what happens to PMs for banned or suspended members, but for those who are just taking a break from the site, it will be forwarded to the email address they provided.

Thanks for responding. It seems like a classy rule not to talk about banned or suspended guys.

One more question out of curiosity. What stops a banned or suspended blogger from signing backup with a different name?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2008, 10:01:21 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

this is true.  i took a break of close to a year, after being involved for about two years.  it became mundane, was taking alot of my free time up, and alot of the topics/discussions kept being rehashed.  it felt like the same threads over and over and i was tired of saying the same things over.

not to mention i almost died (very ture, hospitalized for 10 days) from my apendix bursting and the birth of my son during that time period :D

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2008, 10:01:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
One more question out of curiosity. What stops a banned or suspended blogger from signing backup with a different name?

You can block somebody's IP address, or an entire range of IP addresses.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
In an odd turn of events, I have just notice the theme song to 'Bob the Builder' gets me clicking on the karma button.   

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
In an odd turn of events, I have just notice the theme song to 'Bob the Builder' gets me clicking on the karma button.   

May win for the most interesting post of the day.    :o

Going on a limb and guessing that I am not the only one with young kids and if I am it makes this post even that much more interesting.   :D
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
i don't know if anybody said it, im too tired to read everyones posts, but i tend to give TP's to people for starting a good thread, like i will right now to whoever started this thread.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Going on a limb and guessing that I am not the only one with young kids and if I am it makes this post even that much more interesting.   :D

I have to say, I like Bob better then Barney.

Still laugh when I hear some place wanted to bad Bob because he only had 4 fingers.  Like kids are really going to think he lost a finger on both hands in a workplace accident. 

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am sooooo glad that my boys are older and that when they were young ones that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were are the craze and very few little boys got into any other cartoon but thoses.

To put a time spin on it this is just prior to Barney coming out.
Luckily I missed out on all the horrible cartoons and claymations that try to entertain young children over the last 15 years od so.

Bob the Builder
Thomas the Train
Dora the Explorer
Barney
Teletubbies
Blue's Clues
and a host of other shows I have seen my nephews and nieces get into were about as lame and boring as I've ever seen television get.

Give me Bert and Ernie and Oscar the Grouch and Grover and Cookie Monster teaching me stuff anyday over the bunch of crap that they put on TV and try to pretend to teach kids with but in reality do nothing more than use them to market toys and videos with to make money.

TMNT ruled.

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Ah Sesame Street. Classic part of my childhood along with Walt Disney movies and shows and of course Loony Tunes.

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2008, 10:12:11 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

You can block somebody's IP address, or an entire range of IP addresses.

I hope I don't get canned for this, but there are obvious ways around being blocked by IP address.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

I have to say, I like Bob better then Barney.

Still laugh when I hear some place wanted to bad Bob because he only had 4 fingers.  Like kids are really going to think he lost a finger on both hands in a workplace accident. 

wow, I never heard the 4 finger thing before.

We've been fans of Little Bear & Franklin in our home.

Very cool thing though......two years ago I won via an auction for Children's Cancer Research a behind the scenes tour of a taping of Sesame Street.  Took the family to NYC to see a taping --- it was totally sureal.  Kids loved it, parents loved it more!!!
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Wow...Can't believe I missed out on an evil clown debate...Weddings & No computer at home have conspired to keep me off CB  :'(

You know where I stand on this issue of course

As for TP giving, I lean towards posts that are insightful, funny, newsbreaking, or ones that clearly required a great deal of work (even if I disagree with the point)

I'm also always game for putting someone over the top to reach a milestone.

...and of course there's always the TP Pageant for the ultimate in reasons to give a TP
Yup