Author Topic: The de-Mamba-ing of Jayson Tatum  (Read 3606 times)

The de-Mamba-ing of Jayson Tatum
« on: October 09, 2019, 09:50:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27795809/the-de-kobeing-jayson-tatum-begun

Good article on what Tatum did wrong last year and how the Tatum has worked to unlearn much of what Kobe taught him last year.

Re: The de-Mamba-ing of Jayson Tatum
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
As much flak as Kobe gets around here, I’d be thrilled if Tatum can get to Kobe's level. Unfortunately, he seemed to pick up Kobe’s worst habits while not being on the same skill level as him. There were times it looked like he was thinking he was playing with Smush Parker and Brian Cook instead of Kyrie Irving and Al Horford.

- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As much flak as Kobe gets around here, I’d be thrilled if Tatum can get to Kobe's level. Unfortunately, he seemed to pick up Kobe’s worst habits while not being on the same skill level as him. There were times it looked like he was thinking he was playing with Smush Parker and Brian Cook instead of Kyrie Irving and Al Horford.

Training with Kobe set him back a year in development.  Oh well.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 10:46:02 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nice article which addresses my main concern with the team.  Tatum looked lazy and slow last year with a horrible shot selection.  I'll be thrilled if he corrects his shot selection and plays faster with a better motor.  My outlook for the team is far better when considering having the future top 15 player I thought we had going into last season vs the guy we actually had last season.  Dead last in isolation efficiency?  I knew he was very bad last year but I didn't realize that he was the absolute worst isolation guy in the league.  I'll be thrilled if Tatum gets back on the proper career trajectory.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 10:50:27 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Jayson Tatum will be fine.

I think Tatum will surpass Paul Pierce, one of my favorite Celtic greats.
By surpass I mean Tatum will reach 1st team All-NBA.
That's something Pierce never achieved.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 10:53:33 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Jayson Tatum can do it all.

He needs to be better playing 1 on 1 defense, but on offense, his potential is off the charts!

Tatum can shoot, drive, pass, and rebound.

And to think he's only 21 years old.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The "mambas-fication" of Jayson Tatum is the most overrated story of 2018-2019.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 01:47:42 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

That's crazy if you think about it. It's true that in the last decade, the forward slots have been taken by Lebron and Durant, and before that by McGrady and Duncan, but Pierce was an absolute beast in his prime (27,7 and 5 in 06), matured into a true leader, absolute assassin and NBA champion. God I miss him :(

Getting to the point - I sadly cannot see Tatum reaching that level, though I hope so. To be fair, I did not see a lot of young Pierce play. Was he also forcing stuff and lacking strength, losing the ball like Tatum?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:58:51 PM by CelticsPoetry »

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Care to elaborate?  Tatum clearly took way too many iso fall aways with time on the clock last year.  That's a good skill to have for getting your shot off LATE in the shot clock, but Tatum did it all the time and became a very inefficient scorer.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

That's crazy if you think about it. It's true that in the last decade, the forward slots have been taken by Lebron and Durant, and before that by McGrady and Duncan, but Pierce was an absolute beast in his prime (27,7 and 5 in 06), matured into a true leader, absolute assassin and NBA champion. God I miss him :(

Getting to the point - I sadly cannot see Tatum reaching that level, though I hope so. To be fair, I did not see a lot of young Pierce play. Was he also forcing stuff and lacking strength, losing the ball like Tatum?

"Lacking strength" is never a phrase I would associate with Paul Pierce.   The Truth was very, very strong.

It's a bit difficult to compare out-of-the-gate Pierce with out-of-the-gate Tatum.   Pierce played 3 years at Kansas and so was 21 years old his rookie season.  In other words, quite a bit older and more developed than Tatum.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 04:21:06 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
Care to elaborate?  Tatum clearly took way too many iso fall aways with time on the clock last year.  That's a good skill to have for getting your shot off LATE in the shot clock, but Tatum did it all the time and became a very inefficient scorer.

furthermore, he disrupted ball movement and the flow of the offense when he did this, which was a large contributor last season to the team’s offensive struggles, not just tatum’s inefficient scoring. to be fair, kyrie was guilty of this, too. the offense would just stagnate and be forced to take a really bad shot as the shot clock was running down. sometimes it seemed that both kyrie and tatum were purposefully doing this in order to “get their share of shots.” to me, this was the mamba effect.

this is why horford was so critical to the offense’s success. when the offense ran through him, ball movement was greatly improved and the offense was more efficient. at times, hayward played this role well as a point-forward, vs. the high post for horford.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 05:58:51 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Well, one can argue that this was Tatum’s game when he came into the league.  So there that.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 06:00:24 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I like that Tatum is looking to the best players in the league to see where he should improve. Those are the guys he should be comparing himself to. If this team is going to be successful this year, I think it will happen on Tatum's back.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 08:42:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I like that Tatum is looking to the best players in the league to see where he should improve. Those are the guys he should be comparing himself to. If this team is going to be successful this year, I think it will happen on Tatum's back.
The best things Tatum could have taken from Kobe are his will and work ethic.  Tatum seemed to get worse in those areas last year.  It seems like Drew Hanlen has a better grasp of what Tatum needs to do to be successful than Kobe does.  Kobe was a great but that doesn’t mean he has any clue about the modern NBA and the fact that efficiency and shot selection matter nowadays.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 09:33:03 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The best things Tatum could have taken from Kobe are his will and work ethic.  Tatum seemed to get worse in those areas last year.  It seems like Drew Hanlen has a better grasp of what Tatum needs to do to be successful than Kobe does.  Kobe was a great but that doesn’t mean he has any clue about the modern NBA and the fact that efficiency and shot selection matter nowadays.

How about Kobe’s post game and know-how of drawing fouls? How about attacking the defense? I think it’s pretty safe to say, Tatum has never faced the double teams Kobe has faced and yet he routinely acted like he did given his poor shot selection. He emulated Kobe’s end of shot clock shenanigans - getting the ball, looking at the clock, holding it with a couple of size up dribbles, and then taking a tough fade-away - regardless of clock situation.

- LilRip