Author Topic: All nba games likely played at Disney World in Orlando (current front runner)  (Read 8079 times)

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
In the interest of full disclosure:
Orlando's Walt Disney World Resort is the clear frontrunner to become the NBA's playing site to resume the 2019-20 season amid the coronavirus pandemic, sources told The Athletic.

The NBA is in serious discussions with Disney about the property, which has gained clear momentum over cities such as Las Vegas, sources said. It remains unclear when the games would begin, but multiple sources say the prospect of players fully training in mid-June and playing by mid-July has been the most popular and possible scenario discussed. NBA commissioner Adam Silver told the Board of Governors on May 12 that he aims to decide on the season in two-to-four weeks, and that he wants to wait as long as he can to make final decisions.
https://theathletic.com/1826384/2020/05/20/sources-nba-in-serious-talks-to-restart-season-in-orlando-disney-world-frontrunner/

Don't have an Athletic subscription, but that's what you can see before the paywall :)

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
*The Asterisk Season.

It'll be good to have basketball back but this season will also be one of those heavily debated & scrutinized seasons. 

I'd almost just rather fast-forward and start '20-21 come November or December.

Thinking about this, does anybody really view '99 or '12 as asterisks seasons?  I know I don't, and I don't think most do either (outside of Shaq or Phil Jackson).  It probably helps that teams that ended up with strong legacies won in those years (Spurs and Heat).  Now if something unexpected happened, like the #8 seed Knicks beating the Spurs, or one of the more unusual or fluke championships ended up happening that year (like the 2004 Pistons), I think it might be more scrutinized in debates: 

"A team without a superstar can't win a championship?"
 "What about the Pistons in '04?"
"That doesn't count it was an asterisk season."

But I don't think anybody really says that Duncan only has 4 championships plus an asterisk (outside of his direct, bitter rivals) or LeBron only has 2 real championships.  Even in the LeBron vs Kobe vs Jordan debates, I'm not hearing LeBron detractors saying one of his rings doesn't count (though haven't really been paying attention either).  And we have a bunch of LeBron haters here too, so you'd think I'd hear it more if people really felt that way.

So if something not unexpected happens (LAL, LAC, MIL win it all), I don't think most people will look back at it with an asterisk (though now that I think about it, it would be interesting that 2 of LeBron's championships ended up that way).

Personally, I think a canceled season is worse when looking back.  Looking at the '94 baseball strike, Tony Gwynn might have hit .400, Matt Williams was on pace for 60.6 home runs, a beloved player like Don Mattingly was set to make the playoffs for the first time in his 13 year career, small market Montreal Expos were finally shining and had a legit shot to win the World Series.  To me, having those what ifs are worse than any asterisk.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:39:28 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
*The Asterisk Season.

It'll be good to have basketball back but this season will also be one of those heavily debated & scrutinized seasons. 

Thinking about this, does anybody really view '99 or '12 as asterisks seasons?  I know I don't, and I don't think most do either (outside of Shaq or Phil Jackson).  It probably helps that teams that ended up with strong legacies won in those years (Spurs and Heat).  Now if something unexpected happened, like the #8 seed Knicks beating the Spurs, or one of the more unusual or fluke championships ended up happening that year (like the 2004 Pistons), I think it might be more scrutinized in debates: 

But I don't think anybody really says that Duncan only has 4 championships plus an asterisk (outside of his direct, bitter rivals) or LeBron only has 2 real championships.  Even in the LeBron vs Kobe vs Jordan debates, I'm not hearing LeBron detractors saying one of his rings doesn't count (though haven't really been paying attention either).  And we have a bunch of LeBron haters here too, so you'd think I'd hear it more if people really felt that way.

So if something not unexpected happens (LAL, LAC, MIL win it all), I don't think most people will look back at it with an asterisk (though now that I think about it, it would be interesting that 2 of LeBron's championships ended up that way).

Personally, I think a canceled season is worse when looking back.  Looking at the '94 baseball strike, Tony Gwynn might have hit .400, Matt Williams was on pace for 60.6 home runs, a beloved player like Don Mattingly was set to make the playoffs for the first time in his 13 year career.  Small market Montreal Expos were finally shining and had a legit shot to win the World Series.  To me, having those what ifs are worse than any asterisk.

This is different than a strike shortened season.  If the season is finished in a neutral site facility with no fans, that's a lot different than what happened in '99 or '12.   Also, those seasons started late.  This one is going to have a multi-month gap in the middle of it.  Who knows what kind of shape these guys are going to be in when they get back & what kind of rustiness?

This is an unprecedented season.   If this plan goes through, its going to be wonky. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Direct to playoffs most likely, given that it is much easier to manage 16 teams, and that the number gets cut in half every two or so weeks. To resume a regular season with all 30 teams in one location seems too difficult to manage.  There were just about 20 plus games left to be played. Wish the regular season would get played out if for no other reason than to hope Griz drop down below 17!!
I think they have to have at lease a couple of weeks of regular season.  Teams need to be in game shape for the playoffs and they need every team to at least play the same amount of games (like Brooklyn and Orlando both have 30 wins, but BKN has 34 losses and ORL has 35 - hard to seed them 7 and 8 without an equal number of games).  I think they probably have everyone end up with 70 or 72 games played doing their best to even out the home and away (though not sure it matters as much at a neutral site, but maybe they do something) to as close to equal as possible so that the teams have seasons as close to fair as possible. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
*The Asterisk Season.

Personally, I think a canceled season is worse when looking back.  Looking at the '94 baseball strike, Tony Gwynn might have hit .400, Matt Williams was on pace for 60.6 home runs, a beloved player like Don Mattingly was set to make the playoffs for the first time in his 13 year career.  Small market Montreal Expos were finally shining and had a legit shot to win the World Series.  To me, having those what ifs are worse than any asterisk.

This is different than a strike shortened season.  If the season is finished in a neutral site facility with no fans, that's a lot different than what happened in '99 or '12.   Also, those seasons started late.  This one is going to have a multi-month gap in the middle of it.  Who knows what kind of shape these guys are going to be in when they get back & what kind of rustiness?

This is an unprecedented season.   If this plan goes through, its going to be wonky.

It's different and unprecedented for sure, but I think once it's in the record books the results will be looked at just like any other results, unless someone truly unlikely wins (or a team up 3-0 suddenly comes down with the Coronavirus).

Wonky season, but normal results will be looked back at with no asterisk me thinks.  Time will tell.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Does anyone else think there will be a lot more injuries then normal when they return? I cannot imagine jumping back into the season and then playoffs will be paradise for many player's bodies- especially the one's who did not stay in shape.

I have little interest in watching the players finish this season and I do not think it is a guarantee that Lebron wins the title as well. It will be a crap shoot for sure.

I do believe it is going to be a decision the NBA regrets...time will tell.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
*The Asterisk Season.

Asterisks tend to fade over time though. Besides, shouldn't we wait to see who wins before deciding to apply the asterisk  ;)

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
*The Asterisk Season.

Thinking about this, does anybody really view '99 or '12 as asterisks seasons?

At the time there was more talk of asterisks, but as time goes on it's really an inconsistently mentioned footnote, and really all seasons have footnotes worth mentioning. It also helps when the players most responsible for winning the asterisk season also win in other seasons. If that was Duncan's or Lebron's only titles, maybe they'd carry less weight historically. As it is, they count as much as any other in the ring total count.

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I hope they resume the season and finish it, or at least most of it. Memphis has a VERY tough schedule and I would like to see them fall into the lottery. The Knicks are the only weak team they'd face.

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I hope they resume the season and finish it, or at least most of it. Memphis has a VERY tough schedule and I would like to see them fall into the lottery. The Knicks are the only weak team they'd face.
Well, it looks like the NBA is looking to play only 5 more games so no chance pick 17 changes.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258221/NBA-Considering-Shortening-19-20-Regular-Season-To-70-Games

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well, it looks like the NBA is looking to play only 5 more games so no chance pick 17 changes.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258221/NBA-Considering-Shortening-19-20-Regular-Season-To-70-Games

Pretty much a worst case scenario for Cs fans. No pick change, but the Lakers have a great shot of winning it all. Hey, maybe the Cs will take the whole thing and we can rejoice in what a great idea this actually was  :laugh:

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
*The Asterisk Season.

Personally, I think a canceled season is worse when looking back.  Looking at the '94 baseball strike, Tony Gwynn might have hit .400, Matt Williams was on pace for 60.6 home runs, a beloved player like Don Mattingly was set to make the playoffs for the first time in his 13 year career, small market Montreal Expos were finally shining and had a legit shot to win the World Series.  To me, having those what ifs are worse than any asterisk.

I don't view 2011-2012 as an asterisk season at all. The Celtics made it to the Final 4, lost to a more talented but cheating team (in my opinion) in Miami. Everybody will remember LeBron's first championship. Everybody will remember the repeat they had.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Pretty much a worst case scenario for Cs fans. No pick change, but the Lakers have a great shot of winning it all. Hey, maybe the Cs will take the whole thing and we can rejoice in what a great idea this actually was  :laugh:

Tatum and Brown needed to grow up and grow mean really fast if they plan on stealing it from the Lakers this year.   The Mr Nice Guy play n style will get you no where in the NBA.  too many dogs after the same bone.

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

I would think that the nba would try to find a way to get Zion in the playoffs.  Memphis could go 0-5 and NO 5-0 that would work but what are the odds. 

I heard on the radio yesterday about some weirdo NHL playoff proposal and they were talking about the possibility of the NBA doing something similar.  I wasn't following it that closely but they talked about having some sort of  play in.  I could see the #8 and #9 teams playing say a 3 game play in.  Winner is in the playoffs and the looser is in the draft lottery.  That would only put two more teams in the bubble and give us a chance to move up to 14 in the draft.  They did say that it make no sense for the eastern conference where the #9 seed is Washington but in the western conference it makes sense to include up to the #10 seed because they're all so close at that 8th spot.