Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 204472 times)

Re: NBA season suspended. Gobert has Covid-19
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2020, 12:39:08 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2020, 12:42:42 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
We've been talking about this in the coronavirus thread in the CE Forum but this type of emerging flu pandemic is what public health officials have been fearing for years, because the nature of a flu-type respiratory illness make it very hard to stop without enforcing draconian measures that cause significant disruption to daily life. Even other coronaviruses like SARS were easier to contain because it was obvious when people were contagious and it was harder to catch. With Covid-19 it has an R0 (reproductive number) between 1.4 to 4.8, depending on which country is being measured. It's much easier to catch, people can have it and be asymptomatic and never get sick from it, and they can then pass it on to others who are at higher risk.

Given it's now a pandemic (global rather than regional) the challenge is really to move from containment to surveillance, particularly of those who are most as risk for it such as the elderly or people with HIV or compromised immune systems, and making sure that there is adequate supportive care (hospital beds, ventilators, masks, etc) for those who have complications arising from it like pneumonia. Doing things like banning public gatherings, practicing social distancing, those things help to mitigate the spread of the illness, even though those spreading it may end up being asymptomatic. Like Gobert, it's more than likely he ends up with an experience just like having the flu. It's who he, and others who are infected, pass it to which present the real public health challenge. Once enough people have it, it's just like trying to avoid catching the flu every year - sometimes you get lucky other times you don't. It's the network effect. The only sure fire way to stop it spreading is to prevent people from having contact with each other till it burns out.

The challenge for everyone is are we prepared for a significant disruption to our day to day lives, in order to contain this and prevent it from becoming endemic like the seasonal flu that comes back every year? Eventually a vaccine will be developed, maybe in a year or so if they fast track the FDA approvals, but the public health goal would be to minimize the number of fatalities in those higher risk segments of the population. But until that time, when governments are looking to how China stopped the spread of it within their own country by locking down 150 million people, basically not allowed to leave their houses (no going to father daughter dances or going clubbing because you feel ok for those folks), and police and health officials going door to door in Hubei province and taking people away for quarantine if they show symptoms. Does our country, and others in the West, have the appetite to accept that type of disruption to nip this in the bud? That might be the difference between this being nipped in the bud with extreme measures now vs it becoming a seasonal Covid-19 endemic that we have to get a shot for every year once they develop a vaccine.

Obviously conditions are rife for panic, including panic buying of household goods, food etc, especially as we hear more and more cases come out in the coming days (and they will). It's important not to panic and think the sky is falling in and you have to buy up all the toilet paper, but to be fully informed of the situation, to be understanding of whatever public health measures are being put in place - those measures are not be there to protect you necessarily if you're young and healthy, but rather to try minimize any role that you may inadvertently play in spreading Covid-19 to those who are more at risk.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:55:39 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2020, 12:44:52 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Utah Jazz Emmanuel Mudiay tested positive for covid-19 per ClutchPoints

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2020, 12:52:47 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Re: (Speculation) Playoffs round 1: Celtics vs 76ers
« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2020, 01:28:16 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think it's safe to say that the regular season is over. If there is a postseason, it will be with current standings deciding the participants. The size of that "if" in that last sentence will get bigger by the day.
agreed. The idea of extending the regular season into the summer is a joke

Re: NCAA TOURNAMENT fans excluded COVID
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2020, 02:20:05 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Pro leagues are next.  It's happening.

As it should, lives are at risk here.

My mother living in South Korea says there are a lot of elderly people hospitalized with Coronavirus, (she lives near Daegu, where the first sighting occurred,) and while Korea has done extremely well, it is really hard to pinpoint carriers.
yeah I’m getting tired of younger people saying “it’s just a flu!”

It has a higher mortality rate than any flu. And without any cure or vaccine it is troublesome

The issue with this, and with any flu, is the network effect. Someone can catch it, be asymptomatic and never know they have it, and pass it to other people. Those people may or may not come down with symptoms. Maybe if they come down with symptoms early they quarantine themselves, if not they may pass it to others. At some point someone with a compromised immune system may catch it, e.g. an elderly person, someone with a pre-existing respiratory illness, or with HIV, or maybe recovering from chemotherapy. In that instance that person may develop a lower respiratory tract illness like pneumonia which then makes it much more serious. That person may then need hospital care to recover.

That's the chain of transmission that public health officials are considering when they talk about draconian measures to minimize situations that amplify transmission, such as crowds. Remember how the flu spreads. It is transmitted via respiratory droplets, so someone has to sneeze or cough on you, or they do so on their hand, and their hand touches you or a surface that you then touch, maybe at a store counter or a bus seat. Thankfully it's not an aerosol virus where aerosolized virus particles from someone coughing on one side of the room can float through the air and infect someone on the other side. So walking on the street and someone coughs 10 feet away is low risk. The same scenario where you're sitting next to the person at TD Garden, or at a concert, becomes a higher risk interaction.

Young people who are out and about and asymptomatic can become the biggest vectors for transmission because they feel well, they may keep congregating at bars and sporting events, and they propagate the virus everywhere.

So what they're trying to do is to "flatten the curve" of amplification so that it doesn't overwhelm public health system capacity:

That way enough supportive care can be given to those who need it.

For more you can read here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/science/coronavirus-curve-mitigation-infection.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:17:31 AM by ozgod »

Re: Coronavirus and the NBA, NCAA, NHL, MLB, etc.(merged threads)
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2020, 02:29:26 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
It will be interesting to see the economic impact of this. A lot of game night employees will lose their jobs as a result of the NBA season being suspended. Let's hope the teams/arenas can do something to help those folks.

« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2020, 02:32:11 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Here are how some fans reacted to the OKC-Jazz game being called off.

Thunder fans at arena react to night

Cynthia Gillion of Midwest City: "It's disheartening not to be told in advance. This is a work day ... I'm here, we're loyal. We need to be compensated for our time, our parking, our troubles, our ticket package, individual tickets. Whatever decisions are made, we're loyal, we're going to be here. We've been season ticket holders since the Pelicans were here. We are ride or die until the end."

Cindy Philip of Oklahoma City: "My kids are sad about it. They were really looking forward to the game tonight. They should have told us before the game even started, like before it was even time for people to start showing up."

Tina Skocelas: "We come out here, we watch them warm up, we buy beer. Then everybody (players) disappears. Then they cancel the game. Why didn't anybody have any idea what they were doing? You can't tell that before all these people came in here to watch the game? People came from work. People who have kids got babysitters."     

Ray Simmons of Deer Creek: “It was the one game we were going to go to this year, which isn’t as irritating to me if it’s because of the sick player, which is what the rumor is. They’ve known for two days he’s sick. He traveled with the team. They packed the stadium full and then they make you sit through the halftime show and everything else and then cancel you after they get parking from all the vendors, concessions. It’s pretty annoying. My son isn’t very happy about it ... I’m more upset with the NBA. They couldn’t have planned for this a little better than to pack to stadium and then kids… We understand it, but my son obviously doesn’t."

https://oklahoman.com/article/5657285/ive-never-seen-anything-like-this-fans-react-to-thunder-jazz-postponement

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Source below:
https://www.wcvb.com/article/nba-suspends-season-after-player-tests-positive-for-covid-19-coronavirus/31408521

This is obviously terrible news.
I hope nobody contracted the COVID-19 from Gobert.

This virus is curable/treatable, right?

Your best defense is a strong immune system. Exercise, healthy eating, vitamin C and vitamin D are essential.

I also highly recommend taking zinc lozenges/tablets. If you take them at the first tickle of an illness they really work well. Allegedly zinc prevents viruses from replicating and it also stimulates the immune system into action.

I find the zinc does make me feel slightly nauseated, but it's a small price to pay considering how much it seems to reduce the effects of virus-driven illnesses. Just make sure not to eat or drink anything for a half hour after you take the lozenge. You want it to sit in your mouth and throat for a while so it can do its thing. Laying down increases effectiveness.

Emergen-C packets are great too. They include huge doses of vitamin C and some zinc as well.

Edit: There are some crazy correlations between vitamin D and flu season. As everyone knows, UV light from the sun is responsible for most of our Vitamin D intake. But for most of the winter, the atmosphere filters out the UV because the sun is too low in the sky. Late in the winter peoples' internal vitamin D supply has been depleted. This is also the time when flu season peaks.

Thankfully right now the sun is high enough again to produce vitamin D. So get outside around mid-day and get as much sun as possible. The UV index needs to be at 3 or higher for Vitamin D production. Weather websites should have the UV level listed at a given time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:11:15 AM by kraidstar »

« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2020, 04:08:33 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Assuming that the regular season is cancelled, I would have rather played Indiana  :(

« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2020, 06:31:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I also highly recommend taking zinc lozenges/tablets. If you take them at the first tickle of an illness they really work well. Allegedly zinc prevents viruses from replicating and it also stimulates the immune system into action.

I find the zinc does make me feel slightly nauseated, but it's a small price to pay considering how much it seems to reduce the effects of virus-driven illnesses. Just make sure not to eat or drink anything for a half hour after you take the lozenge. You want it to sit in your mouth and throat for a while so it can do its thing. Laying down increases effectiveness.

Zinc is for colds.

There's been a lot of talk about taking zinc for colds ever since a 1984 study showed that zinc supplements kept people from getting as sick. Since then, research has turned up mixed results about zinc and colds.

Recently an analysis of several studies showed that zinc lozenges or syrup reduced the length of a cold by one day, especially when taken within 24 hours of the first signs and symptoms of a cold.

Most colds are caused by a type of virus called rhinovirus, which thrives and multiplies in the nasal passages and throat (upper respiratory system). Zinc may work by preventing the rhinovirus from multiplying. It may also stop the rhinovirus from lodging in the mucous membranes of the throat and nose.

Zinc may be more effective when taken in lozenge or syrup form, which allows the substance to stay in the throat and come in contact with the rhinovirus.

But the recent analysis stopped short of recommending zinc. None of the studies analyzed had enough participants to meet a high standard of proof. Also, the studies used different zinc dosages and preparations (lozenges or syrup) for different lengths of time. As a result, it's not clear what the effective dose and treatment schedule would be.

Zinc — especially in lozenge form — also has side effects, including nausea or a bad taste in the mouth. Many people who used zinc nasal sprays suffered a permanent loss of smell. For this reason, Mayo Clinic doctors caution against using such sprays.

In addition, large amounts of zinc are toxic and can cause copper deficiency, anemia and damage to the nervous system.

« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2020, 06:46:39 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Zinc is for colds.

There's been a lot of talk about taking zinc for colds ever since a 1984 study showed that zinc supplements kept people from getting as sick. Since then, research has turned up mixed results about zinc and colds.

Recently an analysis of several studies showed that zinc lozenges or syrup reduced the length of a cold by one day, especially when taken within 24 hours of the first signs and symptoms of a cold.

Most colds are caused by a type of virus called rhinovirus, which thrives and multiplies in the nasal passages and throat (upper respiratory system). Zinc may work by preventing the rhinovirus from multiplying. It may also stop the rhinovirus from lodging in the mucous membranes of the throat and nose.

Zinc may be more effective when taken in lozenge or syrup form, which allows the substance to stay in the throat and come in contact with the rhinovirus.

But the recent analysis stopped short of recommending zinc. None of the studies analyzed had enough participants to meet a high standard of proof. Also, the studies used different zinc dosages and preparations (lozenges or syrup) for different lengths of time. As a result, it's not clear what the effective dose and treatment schedule would be.

Zinc — especially in lozenge form — also has side effects, including nausea or a bad taste in the mouth. Many people who used zinc nasal sprays suffered a permanent loss of smell. For this reason, Mayo Clinic doctors caution against using such sprays.

In addition, large amounts of zinc are toxic and can cause copper deficiency, anemia and damage to the nervous system.

Zinc is for the immune system, and that also helps against the coronavirus.

Anyway its a good thing we won this last game. Just imagine if we lost that game whew.

« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2020, 07:45:42 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Assuming the playoffs are cancelled as well, are the Bucks the de facto champs?  I doubt it will ever be stated because that would not be a fair decision, but folks may think that in the future.

« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2020, 08:02:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Zinc is for the immune system, and that also helps against the coronavirus.

Bullcrap, I post an article from a doctor that refuted this quite handily.  Here is another, note both written by doctors and both state COLD only.

Short-term oral zinc treatment has been shown to shorten the length of rhinovirus colds when taken at the proper dose by adults, according to Medscape author Joseph Adrian L Buensalido, MD.

The treatment seems to work when at least 75mg of elemental zinc is taken within the first 24 hours of cold symptoms developing, Dr. Buensalido said. He said the improvement was not seen in children.

"Zinc has also been associated with faster resolution of nasal congestion, nasal drainage, and sore throat, as well as improvement of cough," Dr. Buensalido said.

But be careful. More than 150mg/day of zinc may lead to zinc toxicity, with side effects including reduced immune function, according to the NIH. That could leave you worse off than when you started.

Zinc has been proposed as an antiviral medication in the past, according to MedicineNet medical author Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD.

She said evidence suggests zinc can work as a lozenge, tablet, or syrup to reduce the severity of colds and their duration. However, she offers several precautions as well. Zinc can cause side effects, and the FDA warned against some zinc cold products in 2009 because of it.

Well, my fact resistant friend, perhaps you want to have your false hope of Zinc and it may give you false confidence, but please don't spread that ignorance to others.

Perhaps your basing this off this 2010 article which you may note that Covid -19 was not around then

https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1001176

Re: Coronavirus and the NBA, NCAA, NHL, MLB, etc.(merged threads)
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2020, 08:02:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Absolutely, anyone can get effected regardless of age, but the older the person, the severity the illness.

Sweat, hand checking, and close proximity could be disastrous.

It is much worse than that I fear

Federally funded tests conducted by scientists from several major institutions indicated that the novel form of coronavirus behind a worldwide outbreak can survive in the air for several hours.

A study awaiting peer review from scientists at Princeton University, the University of California-Los Angeles and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) posted online Wednesday indicated that the COVID-19 virus could remain viable in the air "up to 3 hours post aerosolization," while remaining alive on plastic and other surfaces for up to three days.

"Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for 42 multiple hours and on surfaces up to days," reads the study's abstract.

The test results suggest that humans could be infected by the disease simply carried through the air or on a solid surface, even if direct contact with an infected person does not occur. That finding, if accepted, would come in stark contrast to previous media reports that suggested the virus was not easily transmittable outside of direct human contact.

Confirmed cases of coronavirus infection have crossed 121,000 worldwide, with more than 4,300 deaths. The majority of deaths have occurred in mainland China, where the virus is thought to have originated, and Italy, which is experiencing its own large-scale outbreak.

3 hours in the air.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487110-tests-indicate-coronavirus-can-survive-in-the-air