Author Topic: Memo to Jayson Tatum  (Read 3812 times)

Re: Memo to Jayson Tatum
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
he's dunked on some pretty elite-level players.  I like that he has the balls to try.

I also like the fact he is willing to try. Fearless is a good trait to be for an up and coming superstar. The only way to fly higher is to bravely step to the edge and be willing to take that leap.

Is Tatum an up and coming superstar?   I hope so.  He sure seems to have top 25 written all over him -- perenniel all-star in a couple of years.  But superstar to me is elite.  Kyrie isn't quite there, IMO.  I think there are about 7 or 8 current superstars. I guess the criteria is subjective and probably doesn't matter.   For reference -- I think of Paul Pierce and Ray Allen as perreniel all-stars, and KG as a superstar.

And I do think a team really needs a superstar.  So, I'm glad if JT is pushing his envelope at 20 -- maybe identifying for himself next level things to work on.

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
he's dunked on some pretty elite-level players.  I like that he has the balls to try.

I also like the fact he is willing to try. Fearless is a good trait to be for an up and coming superstar. The only way to fly higher is to bravely step to the edge and be willing to take that leap.

Is Tatum an up and coming superstar?   I hope so.  He sure seems to have top 25 written all over him -- perenniel all-star in a couple of years.  But superstar to me is elite.  Kyrie isn't quite there, IMO.  I think there are about 7 or 8 current superstars. I guess the criteria is subjective and probably doesn't matter.   For reference -- I think of Paul Pierce and Ray Allen as perreniel all-stars, and KG as a superstar.

And I do think a team really needs a superstar.  So, I'm glad if JT is pushing his envelope at 20 -- maybe identifying for himself next level things to work on.

Yeah. I think right now Kyrie is right on the edge of superstar. There are a few games, like Washington and Toronto, where he just could not be stopped at the end of the game. But mostly I think he’s an all-star.

Superstar is like Durant when he’s in the finals giving 100%. Or Finals LeBron of a couple years ago.

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 12:13:37 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
It was a stupid play at a critical point in the game.

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 07:59:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am fine with it, I never mind a guy being aggressive, if he had made it, you all would be hooting and hollering how great it was .....

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
I am fine with it, I never mind a guy being aggressive, if he had made it, you all would be hooting and hollering how great it was .....

No possibility of success. Just a stupid play.

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Hmm...by this logic, no one should be trying to dunk on us when the Timelord is in the game.

Side note: Wouldn’t it be crazy if RW would always get dunked on but he’d turn back time every time until he blocked the shot? We’re living in an alternate reality!
- LilRip

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Hmm...by this logic, no one should be trying to dunk on us when the Timelord is in the game.

Side note: Wouldn’t it be crazy if RW would always get dunked on but he’d turn back time every time until he blocked the shot? We’re living in an alternate reality!
maybe he does. after all, since he can turn time back, for the rest of us the event in question would never have occurred. hence we would have no memory of it. only the "block-based reality event" would exist in our memories.

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 05:10:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most

With this line of thinking no one would ever dunk unless open.   Trying things is how people learn their capabilities, even if he made that we still lose.   There is always a chance of success on every play it just may not be probable but the game is a fickle thing.

Most coaches do not mind errors of aggression, it is one game in the big picture and that one play did not make a big difference because the game was lost a lot earlier than that and I have doubt if the run made a difference given how poorly we played across the board during the game.

Scapegoating is the practice of singling out a person or group for unmerited blame and consequent negative treatment.  A medical definition of scapegoating is:[1]

"Process in which the mechanisms of projection or displacement are utilized in focusing feelings of aggression, hostility, frustration, etc., upon another individual or group; the amount of blame being unwarranted."

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

With this line of thinking no one would ever dunk unless open.   Trying things is how people learn their capabilities, even if he made that we still lose.   There is always a chance of success on every play it just may not be probable but the game is a fickle thing.

Most coaches do not mind errors of aggression, it is one game in the big picture and that one play did not make a big difference because the game was lost a lot earlier than that and I have doubt if the run made a difference given how poorly we played across the board during the game.

Scapegoating is the practice of singling out a person or group for unmerited blame and consequent negative treatment.  A medical definition of scapegoating is:[1]

"Process in which the mechanisms of projection or displacement are utilized in focusing feelings of aggression, hostility, frustration, etc., upon another individual or group; the amount of blame being unwarranted."

LOL

Don't try to dunk on Andre Drummond when he is waiting for you.

Stupid play, predictable result.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:48:39 PM by Chris22 »

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 12:52:53 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

That doesn’t even make sense. I didn’t know Drummond is the modern-day Bill Russell.

I think the odds were just as great of him slamming it past him OR drawing the foul than a clean block. Unless Drummond has like an 80% block rate within 3 feet that I’m unaware of, your thinking is erroneous.

Drummond is a good defensive player, but Tatum is a good offensive player and I like the aggression. Didn’t work out in that specific play but we’ve seen him throw it down on a few good defenders.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 01:01:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

durant himself said Tatum has the talent to reach an mvp level some day. Let’s hope he gets there. Best prospect since Bird.

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 07:20:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
LOL

Don't try to dunk on Andre Drummond when he is waiting for you.

Stupid play, predictable result.

Does it matter if he was blocked once in a game in Dec that no one but you will remember?   I doubt it.

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree, LeBron should have known better than to try to dunk on Jarrett Allen.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 02:04:00 PM »

Offline Bdiddy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I don't see Tatum as a superstar in the making. In fact, the way this team is constructed it is highly unlikely he becomes a superstar. The one common thread that binds all current and past superstars is that they were the clear number one option and leader of their teams. You can't become a superstar unless you have unlimited shots and opportunities. Tatum will never get that here. He would have a chance if traded to New Orleans however. ;)