Author Topic: Celtics (37-21) vs Bucks (43-14) Game #59 2/21/19  (Read 40055 times)

Re: Celtics (37-21) vs Bucks (43-14) Game #59 2/21/19
« Reply #615 on: February 21, 2019, 10:54:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Frustrating game.  Brown and Tatum were the only ones who shot well.  Horford shot poorly from the field but put in a hell of a game otherwise.  Kyrie shot 5/19 from inside the arc... not sure that ever happened in his entire career before tonight.  Just couldn't buy a bucket for most of the night. 

I feel like he needs to do a better job of distributing on nights when his shot isn't on.  Try going through Tatum for a while.  I'd rather we not run too much iso, but if that's what we're doing then I'd rather have Tatum against Brogdon than a cold Irving against the entire Bucks defense.  They overplayed him all night and he played into their hands. 

I don't know how you guard Giannis.  He bulls through anybody who defends him.  If you match his physicality, the whistle blows.  He's becoming a good enough passer that he can now punish you for packing the paint by finding one of his shooters.  Add in his defense and rebounding and you're probably looking at the best player in the league right now.  Playoff Lebron might still be better, but Regular Season Lebron isn't... not anymore. 

All of that said, I thought our intensity was there.  Good game.  We came up short.  Let's get the next one.

I feel the same way. Two good teams went at it, one barely lost. There's isn't much to be unhappy about except the end result.

« Reply #616 on: February 21, 2019, 10:55:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Letting pgs have the last shot from a throw in... less than 5 sec

Is bad coaching. Unless the pg is tall/long

Tatum should have been given the ball
Yeah, too bad we just have some PG.
That must be why Curry never gets a last shot, especially before Durant. Or why Damian Lillard never does either. Same with IT. Can even go further back a bit to Gilbert Arenas and AI, short guys who never succeeded with the last shot.

Gimme a break

Not in this situation

Irving has trees to shoot over/get by in chaos

Think about it

If he was the one to inbound. Then get the ball back, then there is a better chance to get a clean shot

« Reply #617 on: February 21, 2019, 10:56:48 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

That must be why Curry never gets a last shot, especially before Durant. Or why Damian Lillard never does either. Same with IT. Can even go further back a bit to Gilbert Arenas and AI, short guys who never succeeded with the last shot.

Gimme a break
Trying to figure out if you’re serious?  First of all, giving the ball to Durant instead of curry is meaningless.  Let me know when they start giving it to iguadala regularly over curry.  Second, you’re completely making ish up. Who says IT, AI, Liilwrd, and hell, even curry don’t regularly get the last shot? 

Finally, point to someone else on this team who deserves to get the balm over Irving? Tatum? I know he taller but he hasn’t earned jack.  Horford can’t get his own shot fast enough.  Mook?

I’m not saying they can’t make it or that we should try to get the cleanest shot, but in that situation it’s Kyrie 10 out of 10 times and let him make the decision.

« Reply #618 on: February 21, 2019, 10:56:52 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Looks like the ply was a back foor cut to Morris but Middleton grabbed Morris and got away with one.

Yep they’re showing the replay on Post Game Live Morris was coming off a Kyrie screen to cut under the basket but Middleton pushed him to the ground. Kyrie ended up having to get the ball further out and ended up with a bad shot. Look at the replays I’m sure they will be on YouTube. But people are criticizing Kyrie for playing hero ball   ::)

EDIT Here's the replay, look at Morris. Kyrie screened him for a backdoor cut they spaced the floor but Middleton grabbed him and he got pushed to the ground. When Morris fell Kyrie had to run out to get the ball at the top of the key and had terrible position. But yes let's blame him for threatening to throw a tantrum if the ball didn't go to him  ::)

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/1098787895186313216
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:05:05 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #619 on: February 21, 2019, 10:57:02 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The Celtics can beat these guys in the playoffs. We are missing guys after a week off in their park....

In all honesty, the Bucks don't play that well against our guys.

The Raptors are harder on the Celtics than these deer.

« Reply #620 on: February 21, 2019, 10:57:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Looks like the ply was a back foor cut to Morris but Middleton grabbed Morris and got away with one.

Don't worry - at least we'll get the 2-minute report highlighting how bad the NBA's officiating. At least there's transparency!  ::)

Crap like that should have to be replayed. We're in the bonus there (I believe), so a foul leads to two free throws. That's a legit game-altering bad no-call that should have to be replayed.

I literally posted the same thing as you at the same time (lol.)

Great minds think alike.  ;) TP

To correct myself, though, they were not in the bonus. Still, though, that's a major missed blatant call, and there's a good argument that they should've called the foul before the inbounds pass. And that's not even mentioning the contact on the shot on Kyrie, which was just as blatant...

« Reply #621 on: February 21, 2019, 10:58:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Gimme a break

Not in this situation

Think about it

If he was the one to inbound. Then get the ball back, then there is a better chance to get a clean shot
Wasn’t a good shot. Horford wide open.

« Reply #622 on: February 21, 2019, 10:59:13 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Gimme a break

Not in this situation

Think about it

We’re not going to be able to hide Kyrie as the take it out of bounds guy with 3.5 secs left.

« Reply #623 on: February 21, 2019, 10:59:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Gimme a break

Not in this situation

Think about it

I agree with this also

« Reply #624 on: February 21, 2019, 11:00:16 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
The Celtics can beat these guys in the playoffs. We are missing guys after a week off in their park....

In all honesty, the Bucks don't play that well against our guys.

The Raptors are harder on the Celtics than these deer.

Disagree. Bucks are the tougher matchup because they have a better coach and better shooting.

« Reply #625 on: February 21, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Gimme a break

Not in this situation

Think about it

Horford was wide open with a second to go.  By then it was too late.

« Reply #626 on: February 21, 2019, 11:01:40 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

Gimme a break
Trying to figure out if you’re serious?  First of all, giving the ball to Durant instead of curry is meaningless.  Let me know when they start giving it to iguadala regularly over curry.  Second, you’re completely making ish up. Who says IT, AI, Liilwrd, and hell, even curry don’t regularly get the last shot? 

Finally, point to someone else on this team who deserves to get the balm over Irving? Tatum? I know he taller but he hasn’t earned jack.  Horford can’t get his own shot fast enough.  Mook?

I’m not saying they can’t make it or that we should try to get the cleanest shot, but in that situation it’s Kyrie 10 out of 10 times and let him make the decision.

Pretty sure he was agreeing with you dude.  He was being sarcastic.

Of course Lillard, Curry, etc get the last shot all the time.

« Reply #627 on: February 21, 2019, 11:01:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Frustrating game.  Brown and Tatum were the only ones who shot well.  Horford shot poorly from the field but put in a hell of a game otherwise.  Kyrie shot 5/19 from inside the arc... not sure that ever happened in his entire career before tonight.  Just couldn't buy a bucket for most of the night. 

I feel like he needs to do a better job of distributing on nights when his shot isn't on.  Try going through Tatum for a while.  I'd rather we not run too much iso, but if that's what we're doing then I'd rather have Tatum against Brogdon than a cold Irving against the entire Bucks defense.  They overplayed him all night and he played into their hands. 

I don't know how you guard Giannis.  He bulls through anybody who defends him.  If you match his physicality, the whistle blows.  He's becoming a good enough passer that he can now punish you for packing the paint by finding one of his shooters.  Add in his defense and rebounding and you're probably looking at the best player in the league right now.  Playoff Lebron might still be better, but Regular Season Lebron isn't... not anymore. 

All of that said, I thought our intensity was there.  Good game.  We came up short.  Let's get the next one.

I feel the same way. Two good teams went at it, one barely lost. There's isn't much to be unhappy about except the end result.
there's a number of positive takeaways in this loss.  C's lost by 1 despite the following:
- Kyrie, Al, Morris, Smart, Rozier all shot like crap.
- No Hayward and no Baynes yet Bucks were healthy
- Giannis still had a Giannis game.  we didn't stay close because he was having an off night. 
- C's had just 6 FTs all game.  ALL GAME.  horribly unbalanced officiating including blatant fouls they just let slide by the Bucks.

Bucks don't scare me come playoff time.

« Reply #628 on: February 21, 2019, 11:04:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Taking the glass half full on this one. Irving was off for most of the game, Hayward/Baynes didn't play. We gave the team with the best point differential in the league a run for their money with their full squad on their own court.

Compared to the Lakers/Clippers losses, this one doesn't sting nearly as much.

Agreed.

« Reply #629 on: February 21, 2019, 11:04:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Gimme a break

I'm on your side - was being sarcastic.

Saying having a PG take the last shot is bad coaching is a nonsensical take
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)