Author Topic: Lakers Pointing Fingers  (Read 7255 times)

Lakers Pointing Fingers
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:26:20 AM »

Offline ZoSo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Los Angeles Times
Copyright 2008 Los Angeles Times
May 12, 2008
BILL PLASCHKE
Bryant's overtime becomes sore spot

SALT LAKE CITY -- First, the back spasms.

Then, the blame spasms.

Only the Lakers, it seems, are incapable of walking away from one of the most inspirational playoff games in several seasons without somebody dissing somebody.

And only on the Lakers, it seems, could a newly crowned MVP once again find himself smack in the middle of the smack.

Playing through three hours worth of back pain that literally dropped him to his knees on a Sunday afternoon here, Kobe Bryant was splendidly, brilliantly tough in the Lakers' 123-115 overtime playoff loss to the Utah Jazz.

But he was also, like, weird.

Bryant valiantly carried the Lakers through regulation's final five minutes, using his head and his heart and the best Mother's Day passing that didn't involve a brunch plate.

But once he pulled his team into the overtime, he seemingly abandoned them there. He insisted on shooting even as his wracked body was betraying those shots. He forgot about passing even though that is what the Lakers had done best.

The Lakers survived regulation thanks to him, but lost in overtime seemingly because of him, and are now stuck in a frustrating two-games-apiece tie against a team that is fortunate to have lasted this long.

And afterward, the confusion became even more confusing.

Coach Phil Jackson blamed the overtime problems on Bryant's teammates for not working hard enough to get the ball.

"I was angry at his teammates for dropping the ball in his lap," Jackson said. "I felt guys just bailed out on him."

Later, Jackson said that "bailed out" was perhaps too strong of a phrase, but the message had been sent.

And most of Bryant's teammates received it with wonder.

They took exactly three of the team's 10 shots in overtime, and it was their fault?

The team had zero assists in the overtime, after Bryant had six assists in the fourth quarter alone, and that was on them?

"I wasn't hesitant," said Pau Gasol, who muscled back from his weak Game 3 to regain the paint. "I just tried to help out. The ball got stuck too much. We took too many jumpers."

Lamar Odom, who also showed up strong, shook his head and smiled.

"P.J. is the coach, he's watching from the sidelines, he sees things different than we do," he said. "And sometimes P.J. just says things to get us going."

Re: Lakers Pointing Fingers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:35:31 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
tp for being the deliverer of good news.

lakers scum!

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:35:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
GO JAZZ!
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:38:48 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

lakers scum!

no need to be redundant.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:46:29 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

lakers scum!

no need to be redundant.

edit - never mind.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:57:35 AM by celticmaestro »

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:46:46 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

lakers scum!

no need to be redundant.

Excellent point
Yup

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 08:51:08 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

lakers scum!

no need to be redundant.

Excellent point

not really sure why a minor fuss was made of that, i passionately dislike the lakers so i thought i'd make it known. i've seen far worse on this site than that.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
I am pathetic.

I cant not watch any non-Celtic related Laker game

I can not even watch Laker highlights without feeling sick to my stomach. 

I truly despise the color combination of purple & gold.

I hesitate putting Fletch in my top 10 favorite movies because the character is a Laker's fan.

I truly respect Magic Johnson and Kareem, but I hate them when see old footage from the 80's.

I even despise Nick Van Exel for hitting a jumper at the buzzer to beat the Celtics in the early 90's.

I HATE THE LAKERS!!
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 08:53:16 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

lakers scum!

no need to be redundant.

Excellent point

not really sure why a minor fuss was made of that, i passionately dislike the lakers so i thought i'd make it known. i've seen far worse on this site than that.

Ummm, it was a joke and we agreed.  The joke being LAKERS and SCUM mean the same thing, hence the redundancy...It's all good.  We all hate the Lakers ;D
Yup

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:56:59 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

lakers scum!

no need to be redundant.

Excellent point

Ummm, it was a joke and we agreed.  The joke being LAKERS and SCUM mean the same thing, hence the redundancy...It's all good.  We all hate the Lakers ;D

see, that's the problem with the english language. in one place a word means one thing and in another it means something else. in this case i clearly thought redundant meant something it obviously doesn't.

no worries lol.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 09:45:44 AM »

Offline ZoSo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
I am pathetic.

I cant not watch any non-Celtic related Laker game

I can not even watch Laker highlights without feeling sick to my stomach. 

I truly despise the color combination of purple & gold.

I hesitate putting Fletch in my top 10 favorite movies because the character is a Laker's fan.

I truly respect Magic Johnson and Kareem, but I hate them when see old footage from the 80's.

I even despise Nick Van Exel for hitting a jumper at the buzzer to beat the Celtics in the early 90's.

I HATE THE LAKERS!!

Watching the purple can be enjoyable when the lakers bark, and lately they've been barking louder than my lab.

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 10:21:40 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
Bryant valiantly carried the Lakers through regulation's final five minutes, using his head and his heart and the best Mother's Day passing that didn't involve a brunch plate.

And some incredibly horrible calls against the Jazz. That was one of the most ridiculous ref hack jobs I've ever seen. Kobe forearms Kirilenko to the floor? Foul on Kirilenko. The Jazz defend hard but don't touch Kobe on a made layup? Obviously, he gets a shot at a three-point play. Fisher stops and leans into the defender, who is standing still? Foul on the defender. And that was all in the last two minutes of regulation.

Sometimes this league is a joke.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 10:51:42 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
The Lakers are my 2nd favorite team.   I am only 18 and I don't have the same level of hate for the Lakers as most other fans.  I never really understood why we hate the Lakers so much.  I know we played them a lot in the '80s and there were some chippy games, but is that all? 

I have had the full experience of the red sox-yankees rivalry and I can only imagine that the way you guys feel about the Lakers is how I feel about the yankees.  But to be honest I just love watching them play.  With Gasol, Kobe, and Odom they are all great passers and make for some beautiful basketball.  I am pulling for a Lakers-Celtics finals just so I can come up with some of my own reasons to hate the Lakers.  But until then I will be watching all of their games and rooting for them.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:43:42 AM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

And some incredibly horrible calls against the Jazz. That was one of the most ridiculous ref hack jobs I've ever seen. Kobe forearms Kirilenko to the floor? Foul on Kirilenko. The Jazz defend hard but don't touch Kobe on a made layup? Obviously, he gets a shot at a three-point play. Fisher stops and leans into the defender, who is standing still? Foul on the defender. And that was all in the last two minutes of regulation.

Sometimes this league is a joke.

I agree that there was some very suspect officiating going on at the end of that game.  Those two calls you mentioned were two of the worst.

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Those two calls were brutal. Then again the Lakers did get nearly twice as many ftas as the Jazz in games 1 and 2. Had it been closer the series might not be at 2-2.