Author Topic: Billups injury during 86-111 loss~  (Read 3691 times)

Billups injury during 86-111 loss~
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:57:39 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
This could be serious, or at least extend their series...

Anyone having watched that game, got a report?

ORLANDO, Fla., May 7(AP) Detroit guard Chauncey Billups left the court with a strained right hamstring early in the first quarter of Game 3 of the second-round series against Orlando on Wednesday night.

The Pistons said Billups' return was questionable. He got tied up with Orlando's Jameer Nelson on a drive to the basket. Nelson's leg caught Billups', and the Pistons' All-Star fell to the court.
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

Re: Billups injury during 86-111 loss~
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 12:02:02 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Thats unfortunate.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 12:25:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

It happened about halfway through the first quarter, Billups was on the right wing, drove right on Nelson, Nelson fell over falling backwards, he tripped up Billups, Billups dragged his feet and fell backwards and almost did the splits as he tried to keep his balance. Looked like a groin strain but it was his right hamstring. Billups crumpled over on the floor and didn't move for a bit. He wasn't really able to walk when he left the floor and went to the locker room, limping.

He's listed day-to-day and Flip hopes he can play in game four against Orlando. Flip also said they won't know anything for sure for about 24 hours.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:26:21 AM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
No. Don't get me wrong. Any injury is unfortunate and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. However, it is a significant development, especially for Orlandos hopes of at least extending their series, or winning it for that matter. And how that development affects our Celtics etc...

Thanx Who.
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 01:46:51 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It happened about halfway through the first quarter, Billups was on the right wing, drove right on Nelson, Nelson fell over falling backwards, he tripped up Billups, Billups dragged his feet and fell backwards and almost did the splits as he tried to keep his balance. Looked like a groin strain but it was his right hamstring. Billups crumpled over on the floor and didn't move for a bit. He wasn't really able to walk when he left the floor and went to the locker room, limping.

He's listed day-to-day and Flip hopes he can play in game four against Orlando. Flip also said they won't know anything for sure for about 24 hours.

Slight correction/addition - After the initial trip, as Billups started to do the split, Nelson's foot actually (and accidentally) hooked onto Billups' left foot and Nelson's momentum pulled Chauncey's legs further apart, exacerbating the strain.  I think this is what really made things worse for Chauncey. 

You never want to profit from an injury, but I can't say I'm upset at the prospect of the series being extended; I would have hated for Detroit to be up 3-0 before we even play Game 2.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:33:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm never happy when players get injured. I'm one of those that likes to play teams at their best and beat them.  Also, I'd rather play Detroit than the Magic.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 03:23:22 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
I watched the game and Billups going out had a big impact on how the game developed going down the stretch, it was hard for the Pistons to spread the floor and it even manifested it self with foul trouble on Sheed!

I hope Billups comes back strong for game four, as the Magic winning the series with Billups out, would leave an empty and not very satisfing feeling in my stomach if i were a Orlando fan, they may not be thinking it now in Orlando but after everythings said and done, i think they will eventualy.

If we are so fortunet to get though the semi's against the Cavs in five or six games, there' aint no other team i would rather see the Celtics face than detroit.

Its like a Shaq quote! "its your basic kung-fu movie, you aint nothing until you beat the master chen-wou-lee right there" no idea where its from (saw it on youtube) but i think its fitting, Detroit has been sitting on the Eastern Conf throne for too long, i dont want the Magic to be the ones de-throning them in our comming out year!

Get well Chauncy!
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 05:36:43 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
i feel bad for detroit...they dont look play the same without billups..are bench is pretty solid in case we have any problems...injury or foul trouble..

Re: Billups injury during 86-111 loss
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 06:24:34 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i'd rather play detroit than orlando so i hope billups is ok.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 09:21:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hamstring injuries are a tricky business.  Those things linger for a while.  Depending on the severity of it, it could be something that could pose a problem the rest of the playoffs.  You don't just wake up 3 days later and its fine.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 09:44:24 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
And that kids, is why you stretch before a game.  Otherwise, he probably would've torn something and been out for the rest of the playoffs.