Author Topic: Funny G-Pop exchange with reporter  (Read 5579 times)

Funny G-Pop exchange with reporter
« on: May 06, 2008, 12:04:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Exchange from Monday Morning (before the second beatdown)

Quote from: MySA.com
Reporter: “Will you try to change up your defenses on David West a little tonight?”

Popovich: “We're probably going to do four or five things you've never seen before in basketball.”

Reporter: “I sense sarcasm.”

Popovich: “You sense correctly. We're going to spend the afternoon re-inventing the light bulb. Those CFLs (compact fluorescent lightbulbs)? There are a lot of people who have problems with them, so we're going to think of something different.”

Reporter: “Might you try to use (Bruce) Bowen on David tonight?”

Popovich: “That's a good idea. Look at this guy right here. He's got all kinds of ideas. Let's do that. What's (West) going to do? Get 30? Let's put Bruce on him. What's Bruce weigh? About 90 pounds? He'll just knock the (snot) out of him.”

I love when coaches get all sassy. I like the "look at this guy here" part...I just wish he would've called him Issac Newton or Artistotle or something.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Funny G-Pop exchange with reporter
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Seems rude to me. The guy is just doing his job.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 01:09:45 PM »

Offline MizzouMerlin

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 8
This is nothing new for Pop. He's always been icy with reporters. I understand his displeasure for dealing with them and answering stupid questions, like putting Bowen on West, but these reporters are just doing their jobs. While it's funny to watch and read, Pop really comes off as a jerk.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 01:15:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Who cares if they're just doing their job.  If Pop is going to waste his time answering questions, the least people could do is ask relevant intelligent questions.  And the reporter opened up the can of worms when replying "I sense sarcasm".  The reporter knew what he was doing, pushing Pop's bottons.  He was probably crossing his fingers hoping Pop would mouth off... that's his story right there.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Popovic is a real sore loser, isn't he.

'Are your going to change your defenses for West' is a legitimate question. What exactly is not intelligent about it?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 01:48:55 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

'Are your going to change your defenses for West' is a legitimate question. What exactly is not intelligent about it?

It was an alright question phrased in a poor way, it seemed to me a bit condescending (to me at least).  Anyways, Pop responded and then the reporter baited him. Regardless of Pop's ton, he could've let the matter rest instead he pushed his bottons with the "I sense sarcasm reply" and the utterly ridiculous Bowen question.

Of course, I hate speculating on written interviews as I think the nonverbal cues and voice tones are more important or just as important as what is being said, but I can imagine the reporter's first question being a bit insulting. Again, just speculation from my part, so no need to argue about it since there's no way to find an appropiate conclusion.  Regardless, he baited Pop after the first response, and I'm quite sure of that.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 02:03:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Pop's response of "We're probably going to do 4 or 5 things you've never seen before in basketball" was pretty awesome.

EDIT: Things Pop could've said that would've accomplished exactly what the above statement did:

"Is your mom going to change her defense of David West tonight?"

"I was thinking of asking David Blain to guard him.......WITH MAGIC!"

"Why must you be the screen door in my submarine, reporter?"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 02:29:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

It was an alright question phrased in a poor way, it seemed to me a bit condescending (to me at least).  Anyways, Pop responded and then the reporter baited him. Regardless of Pop's ton, he could've let the matter rest instead he pushed his bottons with the "I sense sarcasm reply" and the utterly ridiculous Bowen question.

Of course, I hate speculating on written interviews as I think the nonverbal cues and voice tones are more important or just as important as what is being said, but I can imagine the reporter's first question being a bit insulting. Again, just speculation from my part, so no need to argue about it since there's no way to find an appropiate conclusion.  Regardless, he baited Pop after the first response, and I'm quite sure of that.
I agree on the baiting situation, and it was pretty much all downhill from there.

From what I remember, Doc has often been asked will you adjust anything for this and that player. And I don't remember him ever losing his cool like that. Also, this season his reply to similar questions has always been: We are going to do what we did the whole year, because it works. We just need to execute better.

It's really a simple question no matter how you slice it. Even the first answer, however, was completely baffling. Lack of class, as far as I am concerned.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
Pop is an ugly faced guy who was lucky to be coaching D. Rob and T. Dunc at the same time, and got lucky that the Celtics decided to draft J. Forte over T. parker....and there you are!

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
If Doc did this, we'd all be dying of laughter.  I thought it was fairly amusing.  He gave it back to the reporter, it happens.
do it

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
The "just doing his job" excuse is so lame... so you are doing something I don't like, and the fact that you are also getting PAID to do it makes it better?

Anyways, when the league requires coaches and players to speak to the press this is going to happen.  There just aren't that many questions you *can* ask.  So people get tired of answering them.

All I'm saying is, both teams played hard.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
This is nothing new for Pop. He's always been icy with reporters. I understand his displeasure for dealing with them and answering stupid questions, like putting Bowen on West, but these reporters are just doing their jobs. While it's funny to watch and read, Pop really comes off as a jerk.

And the above is a Spurs fan's take on it for ya (hope I'm not outing ya, DT).  The funny part of this to me remains the fact that I'm a huge Pop booster, and I think I give him more slack on this than you do.  I love the guy, and while I acknowledge the validity of the points made by those on this board who aren't big boosters of what comes off as rudeness on his part, I'll always be amused by his ability to deadpan interviews (and win basketball games) in a way that few others can.

His comments after the Gasol trade were pretty beastly as well.

-sw
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:16:46 PM by Steve Weinman »

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »

Offline MizzouMerlin

• Jaden Springer
No worries, SW. I'm not concerned about that.

My favorite Pop interview moment came during one of those stupid in game interviews w/ Craig Sager. Of course, Sager sported one of those ugly, odd-colored suits w/ a handkerchief in the front pocket. As the interview ended, Pop reached over, grabbed the handkerchief, proceeded to wipe the sweat off his face and stuck it in his pocket. Pop thanked Sager and walked back to the bench. Old Craig had no idea what happened, and the look on his face was priceless haha.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

My favorite Pop interview moment came during one of those stupid in game interviews w/ Craig Sager. Of course, Sager sported one of those ugly, odd-colored suits w/ a handkerchief in the front pocket. As the interview ended, Pop reached over, grabbed the handkerchief, proceeded to wipe the sweat off his face and stuck it in his pocket. Pop thanked Sager and walked back to the bench. Old Craig had no idea what happened, and the look on his face was priceless haha.

Speaking of Craig Sager moments, while I can't seem to find the Pop handkerchief theft, thought you might enjoy this one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_ah66EmSo&feature=related

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

Speaking of Craig Sager moments, while I can't seem to find the Pop handkerchief theft, thought you might enjoy this one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_ah66EmSo&feature=related

-sw

haha TP