Author Topic: I Hate the Spurs  (Read 20436 times)

Re: I Hate the Spurs
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 02:28:51 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I find it funny that people call Duncan "boring." Are you one of the 2 people who didn't want the Celtics to get him in the draft?  I suppose if you don't jump out of the building and dunk with power then it's not fun to watch? And the Spurs have been very successful playing this kind of ball. I'd be happy if Boston could start winning like they do.

In the words of nickagneta (I really should give him a TP every time I rip this off from him), I've become a believer in giving TPs to anyone who saves me excess typing.  Very well said, Onslaught.  With ya all the way on this.  Much respect to TD, Pop the rest of the Spurs and all that they have accomplished over the last decade.

Love watching their brand of brutally efficient basketball.

-sw

You must be 1 of the 2 people who watched the NBA Finals last year  ;D.  The ratings reveal exactly how exciting the Spurs brand of basketball is.  Brutal for sure, efficient maybe, boring, definitely.  Ginobli travels every time he drives, many have mentioned the constant flopping, which is pretty hard to deny.  Duncan has never committed a foul, nor has he ever missed a shot without being fouled if you watch his reactions.  Of course they have been successful, but their time has come and gone.  With each passing game, they realize time is running out so they have to borrow every trick from World Cup soccer to try and keep their reign going and unfortunately, the refs seem to buy it all too often.

I have been opposed to a flopping violation being instituted as it just puts another judgment call in the hands of pro sports' worst officials.  But watching the Spurs is enough to change my mind as it is absurd how demonstrative they are, especially Ginobli.  One play late in the Suns series was particularly egregious.  Phoenix had to foul, everyone knew it, yet when Ginobli got the least bit of contact, he flailed his arms out as if he had just been shot.  I coach basketball and we always teach that you do have to draw attention to contact to make sure the officials see it, but the Spurs have taken this to a level that is beyond absurd and really does cheapen the quality of the game.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 02:40:50 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't know why people take offense to calling Duncan boring. There's a difference between saying he's a poor player and simply calling him boring, it's just what it is.  Just because some people like the taste of crap, it doesn't mean that crap tastes good.  Bad analogy, but you get the idea.  Facts is that many find his game boring, there's nothing wrong with that.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 02:42:59 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I find it funny that people call Duncan "boring." Are you one of the 2 people who didn't want the Celtics to get him in the draft?  I suppose if you don't jump out of the building and dunk with power then it's not fun to watch? And the Spurs have been very successful playing this kind of ball. I'd be happy if Boston could start winning like they do.

In the words of nickagneta (I really should give him a TP every time I rip this off from him), I've become a believer in giving TPs to anyone who saves me excess typing.  Very well said, Onslaught.  With ya all the way on this.  Much respect to TD, Pop the rest of the Spurs and all that they have accomplished over the last decade.

-sw

You must be 1 of the 2 people who watched the NBA Finals last year  ;D.  The ratings reveal exactly how exciting the Spurs brand of basketball is.  Brutal for sure, efficient maybe, boring, definitely.  Ginobli travels every time he drives, many have mentioned the constant flopping, which is pretty hard to deny.  Duncan has never committed a foul, nor has he ever missed a shot without being fouled if you watch his reactions.  Of course they have been successful, but their time has come and gone.  With each passing game, they realize time is running out so they have to borrow every trick from World Cup soccer to try and keep their reign going and unfortunately, the refs seem to buy it all too often.

I have been opposed to a flopping violation being instituted as it just puts another judgment call in the hands of pro sports' worst officials.  But watching the Spurs is enough to change my mind as it is absurd how demonstrative they are, especially Ginobli.  One play late in the Suns series was particularly egregious.  Phoenix had to foul, everyone knew it, yet when Ginobli got the least bit of contact, he flailed his arms out as if he had just been shot.  I coach basketball and we always teach that you do have to draw attention to contact to make sure the officials see it, but the Spurs have taken this to a level that is beyond absurd and really does cheapen the quality of the game.

I absolutely was -- and if I have a complaint, it's that they played a team with no real hope of beating them (although I realize that couple of the games were close).  I loved the 2005 series against Detroit, which I would assume was even more painful to most given that there wasn't a star like LeBron involved.

KJ, I hear what you're saying about the flopping, and as I said above, I could do without the "never committed a foul" attitude -- although I think that's emblematic of NBA player in general, and the Spurs just do it a bit more at times -- but I'll forever give this group credit for playing team basketball, playing defense, listening to their coach and never causing needless distractions or beating themselves.  As classy an organization as there is off the floor, never mailing it on the floor in the games that matter.

I understand the flopping complaint, but in my book, everything else about them has always been able to outweigh that.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 02:44:56 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego
I don't know why people take offense to calling Duncan boring. There's a difference between saying he's a poor player and simply calling him boring, it's just what it is.  Just because some people like the taste of crap, it doesn't mean that crap tastes good.  Bad analogy, but you get the idea.  Facts is that many find his game boring, there's nothing wrong with that.

Fair enough, Budweiser.  "Boring" is certainly a subjective enough term -- and I should have clarified as much in previous posts.  I'll augment my prior points by saying that I understand the problems a lot of people have with watching the Spurs, but I'll continue to not share them.

I find the Spurs as enjoyable to watch as any team in the league, albeit in a different manner than most.

-sw

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 02:48:31 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

-sw

I absolutely was -- and if I have a complaint, it's that they played a team with no real hope of beating them (although I realize that couple of the games were close).  I loved the 2005 series against Detroit, which I would assume was even more painful to most given that there wasn't a star like LeBron involved.

KJ, I hear what you're saying about the flopping, and as I said above, I could do without the "never committed a foul" attitude -- although I think that's emblematic of NBA player in general, and the Spurs just do it a bit more at times -- but I'll forever give this group credit for playing team basketball, playing defense, listening to their coach and never causing needless distractions or beating themselves.  As classy an organization as there is off the floor, never mailing it on the floor in the games that matter.

I understand the flopping complaint, but in my book, everything else about them has always been able to outweigh that.

-sw

Fair enough, Budweiser.  "Boring" is certainly a subjective enough term -- and I should have clarified as much in previous posts.  I'll augment my prior points by saying that I understand the problems a lot of people have with watching the Spurs, but I'll continue to not share them.

I find the Spurs as enjoyable to watch as any team in the league, albeit in a different manner than most.

-sw

I'm one of those that finds Duncan boring, but still entertained by the Spurs to some degree (winning teams should make the finals exciting if they're against a worthy opponent, I'm quite sure we got entertained each time the Celtics played them this year)... and I have to agree with you.  The biggest fault in last year's finals wasn't that the Spurs were there, it was simply that the Cavs sucked so much and were outmatched by a vastly superior team that outclassed them in every portion of the game.

I'll say this.  As much as I dislike many things on how they go through a game, the fact that they are a winning team should outweight anything I find boring about them.  So it's a continuous tug-of-war in my mind on how I feel about them.

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 02:57:01 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego

-sw

-sw

-sw

I'm one of those that finds Duncan boring, but still entertained by the Spurs to some degree (winning teams should make the finals exciting if they're against a worthy opponent, I'm quite sure we got entertained each time the Celtics played them this year)... and I have to agree with you.  The biggest fault in last year's finals wasn't that the Spurs were there, it was simply that the Cavs sucked so much and were outmatched by a vastly superior team that outclassed them in every portion of the game.

I'll say this.  As much as I dislike many things on how they go through a game, the fact that they are a winning team should outweight anything I find boring about them.  So it's a continuous tug-of-war in my mind on how I feel about them.

Understandable on all fronts.  I would generally be first on the list to sign up for subscribing to your theory regarding the fact that winning should outweigh the boring-ness in our minds as well...but to be fair, the analogy that keeps popping up in my head is those late '90s New Jersey Devils teams -- they contended every year, but it got to a point at which I think even their own fans started hating them...watching the neutral zone trap for 60 minutes a night wasn't a whole lot of fun for people.  And oddly enough, the league ultimately wound up changing the rules to prevent teams like the Devils from doing what they were doing.  So perhaps I should be wary of hypocrisy and holding an unfair double standard here  ;)

If nothing else, I'm hoping that I'm not the only one who finds Pop immensely entertaining -- although it's usually not intentional on his part.  Ever see his comments on the Gasol trade?

-sw

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 07:39:07 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Ever see his comments on the Gasol trade?

something in my head is telling me that i remember pop saying something about the gasol trade but for the life of me i can't remember it.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 10:13:30 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego
Ever see his comments on the Gasol trade?

something in my head is telling me that i remember pop saying something about the gasol trade but for the life of me i can't remember it.

Maestro,

From SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/02/08/popovich.grizzlies/index.html):

"What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade."

Fun times all around.

-sw

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 10:16:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I love watching the Spurs play and when they move the basketball well they're the most beautiful team to watch in the entire league.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 10:21:03 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

TP, couldn't have said it better: "...when Ginobli got the least bit of contact, he flailed his arms out as if he had just been shot."

I hate that - and just do not understand how anyone can describe that as "classy."

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37

You must be 1 of the 2 people who watched the NBA Finals last year  ;D.  The ratings reveal exactly how exciting the Spurs brand of basketball is.  Brutal for sure, efficient maybe, boring, definitely. 

Here's what I have never gotten: Why do the Spurs alone get blamed for the low ratings last year? If LeBron is the King, the Savior, the league's choice to be the next Jordan, and he's in the Finals and nobody watches, why do the Spurs get the blame? It makes no sense. If LeBron is THE star of the league, he should be drawing big audiences, no matter who he's playing. Leave the Spurs out of it.

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 10:35:12 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
I love watching the Spurs play and when they move the basketball well they're the most beautiful team to watch in the entire league.

Absolutely. It cracks me up when people reduce the Spurs to whining and flopping (which they do and which is annoying, I'll admit). Their basketball is a wonder to behold: consistently smart decisions by players, great coaching adjustments, etc. etc. It's incredible that a small-market team without filthy-rich owner can win four titles in a decade.

People who don't like the Spurs are philistines.

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78

You must be 1 of the 2 people who watched the NBA Finals last year  ;D.  The ratings reveal exactly how exciting the Spurs brand of basketball is.  Brutal for sure, efficient maybe, boring, definitely. 

Here's what I have never gotten: Why do the Spurs alone get blamed for the low ratings last year? If LeBron is the King, the Savior, the league's choice to be the next Jordan, and he's in the Finals and nobody watches, why do the Spurs get the blame? It makes no sense. If LeBron is THE star of the league, he should be drawing big audiences, no matter who he's playing. Leave the Spurs out of it.

You're making my point.  You are asking why nobody is watching even though LeBron is playing.  "If LeBron is THE star of the league, he should be drawing big audiences" but he didn't, how come?  You are even admitting his status means he SHOULD draw big audiences, but you fail to say why he didn't.  It is not even the least bit possible that in spite of his appeal, that you have admitted to, the reason people didn't watch is because of the style of the team he was playing?  By your logic, people should have tuned in no matter who the opponent because of LeBron, yet they didn't, how come?   In answering that question, it is impossible to leave the Spurs out of it.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 11:12:20 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
The Spurs play such a yucky brand of basketball.

All they ever try to do is draw the foul, draw the foul. Maybe the Big Fundamental[ly Boring to Watch] goes glass from 3 feet out. Maybe Bruce Bowen will hit a 3-pointer in the corner. Maybe Horry will take one from the top of the key.

Then there is all the flopping. It seems like after every play, one player from the Spurs is flopping around on the floor like a dead fish.

And then they act so surprised - to a man - when the foul goes against them. Those big eyes Duncan gets. Ginobli waving his arms around. He is my least favorite player in the NBA.

They were really out-classed by the Hornets tonight.

Watching the Spurs in the playoff is like watching someone shoot 100 underhanded foul shots.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 11:16:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I love this.

What was the most exciting series last year?

Spurs/Suns

Who had the most exciting game in the 1st round of the playoffs?

Spurs/Suns game 1.

Spurs are boring to watch when they play an inferior team they stomp on.  Same could be said about the Celtics this year by non-Celtics fans. 

Boston/Atlanta game 7.  Complete bore if you were not a Boston fan. 

It is not the Spurs fault that Cleveland couldn't put up a fight and make the series interesting.