Author Topic: Rank the PGs in the Playoffs, Where does Rondo Rank?  (Read 11207 times)

Re: Rank the PGs in the Playoffs, Where does Rondo Rank?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
rondo isn't second in total assts as someone said, I think he's 4th, but he is 2nd in asst/to ratio of pgs still playing in the playoffs, Calderon was 2nd. I think he's been playing great average wise, but he needs to have better game control/management on the road.

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 01:42:51 PM »

Offline mhbhaecceity09

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
What the Heck, I'll give it a go.  This is a list of remaining PGs based on current playoff performance

1. CP3, if there's any doubt, you need your head checked. This guy is my MVP, sorry KG and Kobe.  Well not really to the latter.
2. Williams, he's the only guy on that team that can create for himself and others and before having a mediocre game 1 against LAL, has been going nuts.  Unfortunately, has drawn a tough matchup in the cagey and strong Derek Fisher.
3. Parker, has been playing well generally but hasn't really stepped it up and has been a non-factor against NO, has been totally dominated by CP3, and wasn't especially impressive against the bullfighter that is Steve Nash.  Of course, no one can really handle CP3 right now.  This may not be fair to Parker but when you have the benefit of playing with Duncan and Ginobli, and aren't asked to be that big of a distributor, you need to get yours.  So far, Parker hasn't but he still gets the nod over Rondo because Rondo hasn't shown some jitters and limitations in his game, i.e. still struggling with jump shot, finishing in paint, and hasn't always been agressive against favorable matchups.
4. Rondo, controlling both ends of the floor fairly consistently, outplaying his competition and being a key on the defensive end. Before Game 1, had a 7 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.  Was key to C's Game 1 win.  Despite his limitations, he gets the nod over Billups because he has brought to the table a lot more than he has taken off and consistenly outplayed his competition.  Will be interesting to see him go against . . . 
5. Billups, who is startin to show his age and was arguably outplayed by Andre Miller even though he would seem to be an ideal matchup. Was able to abuse smaller Jameer Nelson in the last two games and continues to be the guy to make the key shot (even if it shouldn't have counted . . . .)  if I'm an ORL fan, I'm going nuts right now.
6. Fisher - gets the nod over the St. Joe's teammates Nelson and West because he has been more consistent filling the role of the NBA's equivalent to a manage the game QB.  Make the shots you have to, don't kill us with dumb mistakes, make the opposition pay for cheating off of key teammates.  Besides Billups, may be the most trusted guy taking a big shot.
7. Jameer Nelson - more of a PG than DWest and despite struggling at times, he has generally stepped it up and given the Magic solid play.  You can't teach height so Billups is going to have his way in the post over Jameer; however, he has shown a feisty-ness and confidence that may get ORL back in the series, matching Billups almost step for step and making the older guy work in Game 2.
8. West - landed in an ideal spot but, as before in Boston, has shown a tremendous amount of hustle coupled with a stunning lack of shooting and assertive consistency.  You've got to like the guy but he just doesn't seem to have the makeup of a a starter quality guy.  Period.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:14:43 PM by mhbhaecceity09 »

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I expect Rondo to be the 3rd best pg in the League, behind Paul and Williams, by next year--and to make the All-Star team.  Part of this is timing, as the old-guard elite are passing out of their prime.

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 02:16:59 PM »

Offline mhbhaecceity09

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Clover,

I'm with you especially if Rondo continues to improve his jumpshot and Doc unleashes/he shows a willingness to push the issue against guys that can't keep up with him off the bounce.

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »

Offline vibaciousb

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
i have a hard time believing rondo will be the third best point guard by NEXT year, in two years time, however, that is very likely. nash and billups will probably be ahead of him still next year, but their aging coupled with rondo's maturation means that in a short amount of time he will be among the elite. it will also be interesting to see how derrick rose will fare next year and in his sophomore year. could he put up similar numbers as paul did his first two years in the league?

but i will agree that he could be an all-star next year. the east is not that strong at the pg position

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 02:30:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
and if doc takes the training wheels off.

To have a kid showing as much skill as rondo average only 30 mpg at 21 years old?  ???
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion