Author Topic: Blow it up Danny!.....  (Read 18004 times)

Re: Blow it up Danny!.....
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2019, 05:40:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

i'm 100% on the "keep the veteran leaders (smart and horford), let all the other established / paid players go, and see what jay and jay can become" train.

It just doesn't excite me much at all

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2019, 05:44:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

i'm 100% on the "keep the veteran leaders (smart and horford), let all the other established / paid players go, and see what jay and jay can become" train.

I would assume that this path also includes using our draft picks, which could result in some great pieces.

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I am not sure I see Ainge making a $40 million per year offer to Kyrie at this point, given everything that happened this season and his bombing in the playoffs.

I don't know about Ainge, but I am having my own doubts about that right now mainly due to this series vs the bucks.
But I could be over reacting.

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2019, 05:58:26 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I would assume that this path also includes using our draft picks, which could result in some great pieces.

We have what, like a 98% chance of our best pick is 9?

Idk, even if Kyrie leaves, I’d still roll the dice on AD. We’d still be able to offer him the most money, he’s in a big market, and we would be a contender (need to add a playmaker/shooter with the MLE and Hayward HAS to find consistency). I know he can still walk, but maybe not.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
No, Do Not Blow Up this Team.

Let Kyrie Irving go, if Danny and Brad cannot see that he has been an overall negative on what was an excellent rebuild, then those two are blind.
Game 4 made it as obvious as it could be. Irving is forcing shots with teammates wide open, he often isn't even working hard enough to use a screen before he shoots. Everyone kept saying all season, "We need his scoring for the playoffs".  Well ?

Then he goes to the post-presser, makes every excuse, passively-aggressively knocks his team and coach, then after proclaiming himself a "basketball genius" a few days ago, he responds with a "Who Cares?" comment about his horrid shooting, along with "I should have shot 30" as well as "I have to do everything" (which he doesn't, which is the problem with him on this team).

Move on Kyrie. You and your buddy, also a fragile super-ego, Kevin Durant can go the the Knicks and be the stars of Broadway - it would be a perfect marriage, those two in that city for that franchise. And they wouldn't sniff a title.

Meanwhile, Danny needs to keep his young core, along with still-recovering Gordon Hayward and add and subtract others very carefully. The Celts do need some help, an athletic big who rebounds and defends, plus a playmaking point guard who is all about the team. Please don't sell the ranch for Anthony Davis, we already have our championship foundations in place.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2019, 07:12:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think the idea of a "blow it up" scenario is a lot better than the reality of one.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2019, 07:24:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Roster needs overhauled. Lack of rebounding and outside shooting has been an issue for some time.

There are 2 paths really...go all in with kyrie and try to get AD or kyrie walks and you build around a young core.

God I’m hoping for the second option.
So you want endless mediocrity and a bunch of first round exits? No young player on this team has shown me that they are worth building a team around. Al least with the first option we have a chance of being something special.
Don't you too dream of being the Joe Johnson Atlanta Hawks?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2019, 07:24:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the idea of a "blow it up" scenario is a lot better than the reality of one.

Agreed.

There would be some genuine satisfaction in seeing every single person involved with this season sent packing without so much as a goodbye note and a wish of good luck. 

That would not really be likely to result in a very enjoyable product on the floor the next 4-5 years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2019, 07:25:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Depth vs. Top-end Talent.

Current team has depth but not so much top-end talent (1 guy).

Depth is great for the regular season but is less useful in the playoffs due to shorter rotations.

IMO, we’ve tried the depth route.  I would like to see a consolidation of talent into the starting five.

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2019, 07:26:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Honestly, the idea of actually enjoying, rather than dreading, tuning in to watch this team play games excites me.

So long as the door is left open for continuing to improve the team via free agency, the draft, trades not involving the core guys, I will be fine watching a young team that isn't likely to contend for a title in the near term.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2019, 07:27:24 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Depth vs. Top-end Talent.

Current team has depth but not so much top-end talent (1 guy).

Depth is great for the regular season but is less useful in the playoffs due to shorter rotations.

IMO, we’ve tried the depth route.  I would like to see a consolidation of talent into the starting five.

You can't win with depth... The NBA is the only league that's superstar driven if you don't have a top 5 guy you have no chance.

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2019, 07:31:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Honestly, the idea of actually enjoying, rather than dreading, tuning in to watch this team play games excites me.

So long as the door is left open for continuing to improve the team via free agency, the draft, trades not involving the core guys, I will be fine watching a young team that isn't likely to contend for a title in the near term.
Why do you think building around our youngsters would be so conducive to enjoyable play?

Because this season Tatum was one of the least enjoyable players on the whole team to watch

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2019, 08:03:31 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Why do you think building around our youngsters would be so conducive to enjoyable play?

Because this season Tatum was one of the least enjoyable players on the whole team to watch

Count me on the team that think giving the young guys more opportunity would be enjoyable, I wouldnt mind it. Still think plan A should be Kyrie+Davis, but those two made it hard to root for them this year.

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2019, 08:12:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Count me on the team that think giving the young guys more opportunity would be enjoyable, I wouldnt mind it. Still think plan A should be Kyrie+Davis, but those two made it hard to root for them this year.
I think it might be more enjoyable. Maybe. There's definitely no certainty.

I also think it's far less likely that those two could lead us to any championships. Pho might be fine watching that, but I don't really want to watch a team that isn't a legitimate contender after coming so close.

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2019, 09:01:23 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Tatum has disappointed me the most (Brad, Hayward and Kyrie right up there though).

His Kobe-time I think screwed him up to a faretheewell.

Kobe’s influence with that stupid fade-away 2 over dependence has ruined his game and his confidence.

Given his poor performance down the stretch, his value is lessened which will cost us more in an AD trade.

Way to go Jayson. If I didn’t know better I would say he sabotaged his own value so he wouldn’t be traded.