Poll

You Want Us To Acquire One Of These Two In The Coming Months?

Yes, Korver
8 (44.4%)
Yes, Crawford
1 (5.6%)
Nope. Neither
9 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: By Veteran, Kyrie Means Acquiring A Kyle Korver Or Jamal Crawford  (Read 2295 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
And I honestly tend to agree with him. Whether it's through a small trade or a buyout signing, I think getting one of these two in particular could really help us.

I know what folks will tell me, "both guys are too slow now, old, very limited defensively, etc."

But here's the thing. Defense is obviously key, but you also have to actually score in games to win them too. Our defense was phenomenal in last year's Game 7 vs. Cleveland and kept us in it, but our shooting was putrid and was the main reason we lost.

I know we hate a system where we keep jacking up 3s, but I say in this new, modern NBA, if defenses leave us relatively open behind the arc, then maybe we can help ourselves by acquiring a sharpshooter (or scoring machine) to help in spurts like Korver or Crawford (Crawford may not be a 3-point sharpshooter but he's still a scoring machine when he's feeling it)

Ultimately, many of the 3 point-attempts I see Smart take (or even Rozier and Brown with their bad shot selections), I'd rather let a guy like Korver or Crawford take.

There are situations this season and even in last year's playoffs where we can build a lead but it evaporates quickly because our bench can't shoot and the other team can come back (even though our defense remains great).

There could be others, but to fit Kyrie's statement of 14-15 year "vet", I think he means a guy like Korver or Crawford. NOT Carmelo (dear god no...)

We'll be fine and I think we're going to get on a roll soon, but adding someone like Korver/Crawford to this team (additional shooting threat) could really help us in our quest to reach a Finals this year.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: By Veteran, Kyrie Means Acquiring A Kyle Korver Or Jamal Crawford
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:42:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
it would depend on what has to go out the door to sign one of them.  Korver showed me he could play solid D in last year' playoffs against the C's so I wouldn't be opposed to getting him if the price was low. 

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Where’s the indication that he meant Crawford or Korver?

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Well Korver did play with Kyrie 2 years ago.

And frankly Korver and Crawford each make more sense unless you think he meant Carmelo or Lebron lol. There are lots of 14-15 year vets. out there but Crawford and his salary make him a potentially easy acquisition and Kyrie knows Korver.

Melo even if we brought him in just doesn't fit IMHO. Not worth it. Plus the only thing he could do well (shoot) is something he can't do anymore either it seems, so...

And if we wasn't willing his previous 2 teams, you think he's willing to come off the bench here? Doubt it. Even if he does he'll have an attitude about it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Korver could make some sense, if only for 12-16 minutes a game.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't see anyway Korver ends up here.  He makes too much money for Boston to reasonably acquire him and if he is waived, I can't see him ending up in Boston.  And I don't see the point in Crawford.  I'd actually much rather take a flyer on Anthony than either of those 2 guys.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 12:48:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't see anyway Korver ends up here.  He makes too much money for Boston to reasonably acquire him and if he is waived, I can't see him ending up in Boston.  And I don't see the point in Crawford.  I'd actually much rather take a flyer on Anthony than either of those 2 guys.

If Korver gets waived, why would he not want to play here? Has he said something negative about Boston in the past?

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

If Korver gets waived, why would he not want to play here? Has he said something negative about Boston in the past?
No, I just think other teams are far more likely (like Philly where he has played before).

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Well Korver did play with Kyrie 2 years ago.

And frankly Korver and Crawford each make more sense unless you think he meant Carmelo or Lebron lol. There are lots of 14-15 year vets. out there but Crawford and his salary make him a potentially easy acquisition and Kyrie knows Korver.

Melo even if we brought him in just doesn't fit IMHO. Not worth it. Plus the only thing he could do well (shoot) is something he can't do anymore either it seems, so...

And if we wasn't willing his previous 2 teams, you think he's willing to come off the bench here? Doubt it. Even if he does he'll have an attitude about it.

So basically it’s your own speculation, not something that Kyrie indicated, which is fine, I just thought you might have seen a new quote from Kyrie that I missed.

I like Korver, but the Cavs had kept asking for a first for him which is way too much.

We had our chance at Crawford earlier this season and didn’t go ahead with it.

From Kyrie’s quote though, it sounds like he wants someone more for locker room mentor ship than for playing ability, which definitely rules out Melo

I'm guessing that what Kyrie meant is, he wants a respected vet in the locker room that will call out guys when they are slacking or selfish, who people will respect when he does so. This way, Kyrie doesn't have to be that guy, and can still be everyone's buddy. It also implies that Brad Stevens is not doing enough to hold guys accountable, which Brad admitted himself the other day.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:12:37 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Maybe he meant Kendrick Perkins. 15 year vet. Knows what it takes to win a title. Brings his tough attitude to the team and can tell the youngsters they need to play tougher when they lapse. Maybe coach up Williams.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

No, I just think other teams are far more likely (like Philly where he has played before).

Well Philly would already have a shooter above him for key situations and shots in Reddick. We really don't have any shooters like that off the bench so he would probably have a bigger opportunity for big shots with us. it was also over ten years ago he was playing for Philly so obviously none of the same coaches or teammates. Not sure how much weight that would hold unless he really just loved the city itself.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 02:24:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Don't need either of those guys. They only make us worse.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Why not Jarrett Jack?

Solid veteran. Good leader. 
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 03:09:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Well Philly would already have a shooter above him for key situations and shots in Reddick. We really don't have any shooters like that off the bench so he would probably have a bigger opportunity for big shots with us. it was also over ten years ago he was playing for Philly so obviously none of the same coaches or teammates. Not sure how much weight that would hold unless he really just loved the city itself.
Korver could realistically be on the floor at the end of game for Philly, not so much for Boston.  I mean I could totally see a closing lineup of Embiid, Simmons, Butler, Korver, and Redick (as an example).  There is no way Korver is on the floor at the end of games for Boston, unless there are like 10 seconds left and Boston is down 3 with the ball.  I don't even know if Korver would get off the bench in Boston (except in those situations), as he isn't better Morris, Smart, or Rozier and those are the guys that he would reasonably be competing for bench minutes with.  Once Hayward is back to a full PT load, how is Korver going to play.  I just don't think it is happening. 

That said, I don't think Cleveland is going to waive him anyway as they can get at least a 2nd round pick for him from someone and if you can do that and the guy isn't a cancer, why would you waive him.

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
If Jabari Bird winds up off the roster for good, replacing him with a someone whose role is primarily as a solid locker room presence isn't a bad idea.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008