Author Topic: U.S. Politics may cost the U.S. the 2026 World Cup  (Read 8455 times)

U.S. Politics may cost the U.S. the 2026 World Cup
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:15:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3400487/united-states-led-2026-world-cup-bid-in-jeopardy-to-morocco-sources

Not just the current administration's immigration policies (or the President trashing other countries), but also the FBI investigation into FIFA which took down many South American executives. 

According to the article, Morrocco's bid is being heavily supported by Asia, Africa, and South America, while the U.S. bid, which is joint with Canada and Mexico, is being supported by most of Europe, the Oceanias, the rest of North America (since the 3 hosts can't vote), and some Asian countries.

It really seems odd to me that South America wouldn't support a North American bid, especially since 2026 is the first year the field expands to 48 teams and the U.S. (along with Canada and Mexico) is one of the few countries that can easily support an expanded field.  And I could totally understand if a place like England or Germany was the other country, but Morocco is just a strange bed fellow for the world to die on.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: U.S. Politics may cost the U.S. the 2026 World Cup
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:23:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
... but also the FBI investigation into FIFA which took down many South American executives. 

I mean, that’s as far as you need to look. Even though some of the corrupt execs were removed, there are no doubt plenty left.  We’re talking about the same voters, and friends of the same voters, who awarded Qatar a bid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 10:43:18 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Misleading title....it should read "world politics may cost US".

Our politics seem to have little to do with this.  It's much more of the same corrupt officials of the Asian, African, and South American continents supporting each other.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
... but also the FBI investigation into FIFA which took down many South American executives. 

I mean, that’s as far as you need to look. Even though some of the corrupt execs were removed, there are no doubt plenty left.  We’re talking about the same voters, and friends of the same voters, who awarded Qatar a bid.

Exactly.  The Qatar selection proved that.  Morocco getting the bid over the US wouldn't surprise me at all after that.

It really is neck & neck between the IOC & FIFA over who is more corrupt. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 11:40:53 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Exactly.  The Qatar selection proved that.  Morocco getting the bid over the US wouldn't surprise me at all after that.

It is true though that FIFA tries to send the circus to every continent. Brazil, Russia, Qatar ... It is Africa's turn

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 11:46:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

It is true though that FIFA tries to send the circus to every continent. Brazil, Russia, Qatar ... It is Africa's turn

Africa has hosted a world cup more recently than North America.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
North America is separate a continent ?

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yep.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
More than Europe

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 12:51:46 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Just echoing Roy and the OP’s points: Sepp Blatter recently came out in support of Morocco, which leads me to believe his remaining cronies in FIFA want that to happen and not the US.

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 12:40:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Nothing really ground breaking here, but it is a bit interesting to see what Morocco is pitching. Things like, a better time zone, no 6 hour flights between games, and other things of that nature.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/03/07/2026-world-cup-bid-usa-mexico-canada-morocco-fifa-vote

At the end of the day, I can't see how Morocco could support a 32 team field, let alone the expanded 48 team field.  It just doesn't make any sense, but in things like this logic and reason aren't always the driving factor.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 12:44:30 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Doesn't Qatar have like actual slavery and support terrorism? Yet FIFA losing their minds over Trump but have no problems with the Putin apparently.

The US will be just fine without the World Cup.. ::)

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 12:50:51 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Doesn't Qatar have like actual slavery and support terrorism? Yet FIFA losing their minds over Trump but have no problems with the Putin apparently.

Yeah, I feel that high end/professional soccer is not a priority here. Soccer is increasing in popularity, but still lags. I imagine it will continue to rise as its becoming clear how dangerous football is. In 2018, however, the US didn't make the World Cup, and I'm not sure how concerned mainstream America is.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 02:07:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sure the US will be fine without the World Cup, but the influx of tourism dollars that the World Cup would provide for cities hosting games would be extremely good.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
FIFA, and it's member countries would stand to profit so much more from a World Cup hosted by the US led group, yet I won't be surprised when most of these member nations vote against their own financial best interests and then turn around and bemoan the state of their finances.