Author Topic: Rudy Gay requests trade from SAC  (Read 5345 times)

Re: Rudy Gay requests trade from SAC
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Is he really making $19million this year???  He might not be plausible even if it is only for another year+...

That's crazy money for Rudy even with the cap going up

He's only making $13.3M
And the only real way to the trade is to send Amir Johnson. I am not trading Amir for Gay. Amir is an excellent fit on this team. Gay, from when Memphis played better when he was hurt and then traded, to Toronto playing better when he was traded, to Sacramento always sucking with him being a complimentary piece to best big man in the league, has always been a net negative. The proof is plain to see. We dont need him with so many young wings on this club to develop already.

Depends on how anyone is interested in Sully or not.  For example, if Sully signed for as little as $12.25 million in year 1, he could be packaged with John Holland's non-guaranteed deal and James Young to fit in Gay's salary.  I'd take on Gay for Young and Sully.
I didnt do the base year calculations to check, so I guess you are right, but still. The evidence against Gay being a net negative to his teams is just too strong for me to want him on this club, even for the package you suggest. I would rather use that package you just suggested to get someone else. Maybe make it part of a Boogie package.

The other thing will Sactown want Sully for two guaranteed years at $25 million total when they just draft Skal as a PF?  Sully is still very young but could balloon up after getting paid.

Overall, I dont think the Cs are talking to the Kings about Gay. If there are any conversations going on between the teams its for Cousins
I thought the celtics had 11mm in cap space once we renounce Sully and Zeller. Couldn't we just send them James young and absorb the difference.
Salty says if the Cs trade for someone and he makes more than our cap space we have to match salaries. I asked him in another thread. I have yet to see where salty is wrong regarding the CBA and salary cap. So TP to salty.

I want to clarify what I said (or intended to say):  If the trade puts us over the cap (or, actually, $100k over the cap), then salaries have to match per rules of the CBA.  If it doesn't, then you don't have it match.

That said, we do not have enough available cap space such that renouncing Sully and Zeller, releasing Holland, and trading Young will quite get us enough space for Gay, so we would need to match salaries.

Further clarification, unless I'm missing something: we still don't have to match salaries if the result of the trade is under the cap. So if we have e.g. $10M in cap room, we just need to send out $3M to take back $13M. I'm still not sure who'd we want to include, maybe Jerebko at $5M and also expiring?

Hopefully this just torpedoes SAC leverage for a Cousins deal, when they lose their 2nd best player and face up to rebuilding.

Yes, that's what I was saying.  If you finish a trade under the cap, no need to match salaries.  We have enough cap room and Gay isn't that expensive such that it isn't too difficult.  I was just throwing Sully out there as an option if people are wary of losing a player in the rotation.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:39:28 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Absolutely no way to a sideways move. Give the minutes to Jaylen.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2016, 10:42:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is he really making $19million this year???  He might not be plausible even if it is only for another year+...

He's only making $13.3M
And the only real way to the trade is to send Amir Johnson. I am not trading Amir for Gay. Amir is an excellent fit on this team. Gay, from when Memphis played better when he was hurt and then traded, to Toronto playing better when he was traded, to Sacramento always sucking with him being a complimentary piece to best big man in the league, has always been a net negative. The proof is plain to see. We dont need him with so many young wings on this club to develop already.

Depends on how anyone is interested in Sully or not.  For example, if Sully signed for as little as $12.25 million in year 1, he could be packaged with John Holland's non-guaranteed deal and James Young to fit in Gay's salary.  I'd take on Gay for Young and Sully.
I didnt do the base year calculations to check, so I guess you are right, but still. The evidence against Gay being a net negative to his teams is just too strong for me to want him on this club, even for the package you suggest. I would rather use that package you just suggested to get someone else. Maybe make it part of a Boogie package.

The other thing will Sactown want Sully for two guaranteed years at $25 million total when they just draft Skal as a PF?  Sully is still very young but could balloon up after getting paid.

Overall, I dont think the Cs are talking to the Kings about Gay. If there are any conversations going on between the teams its for Cousins
I thought the celtics had 11mm in cap space once we renounce Sully and Zeller. Couldn't we just send them James young and absorb the difference.
Salty says if the Cs trade for someone and he makes more than our cap space we have to match salaries. I asked him in another thread. I have yet to see where salty is wrong regarding the CBA and salary cap. So TP to salty.

I want to clarify what I said (or intended to say):  If the trade puts us over the cap (or, actually, $100k over the cap), then salaries have to match per rules of the CBA.  If it doesn't, then you don't have it match.

That said, we do not have enough available cap space such that renouncing Sully and Zeller, releasing Holland, and trading Young will quite get us enough space for Gay, so we would need to match salaries.

Further clarification, unless I'm missing something: we still don't have to match salaries if the result of the trade is under the cap. So if we have e.g. $10M in cap room, we just need to send out $3M to take back $13M. I'm still not sure who'd we want to include, maybe Jerebko at $5M and also expiring?

Hopefully this just torpedoes SAC leverage for a Cousins deal, when they lose their 2nd best player and face up to rebuilding.
But isn't Sactown over the cap meaning they have to match too? I know sending out $13 million and only receiving back $5 million isn't matching

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 10:48:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He's only making $13.3M

But isn't Sactown over the cap meaning they have to match too? I know sending out $13 million and only receiving back $5 million isn't matching

Wouldn't that just be a TPE for Sac?

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 11:00:49 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

He's only making $13.3M

It's like the Price is Right final showcase.  Being under never disqualifies you.

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 11:14:02 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
There are very few players I can think of whose game I dislike more than Rudy Gay...inefficient volume scorer. Don't think he's a great fit here

TP X 2 There is a reason he keeps traveling from team to team.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 11:17:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He's only making $13.3M

Wouldn't that just be a TPE for Sac?

Yes, in a 1-for-1 deal.  Regardless, you don't have to match if you're receiving less than you give out.

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2016, 03:23:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's strange.  A couple years ago Gay was super overrated and everyone wanted him.  Now he's almost a tiny bit underrated and nobody seems to want him.   I don't want him either, but fwiw, he's less inefficient than people seem to think.

Coming off a season averaging 17.2 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.4 steals with 46%/34%/78% shooting.

But I mean.. the dude has only been to the playoffs once in his entire career.  He's been on one loser after another.  I don't know if he can fit into a winning team.

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
NO to Rudy Gay...NO to Tyreke Evans...NO to Danillo Gallinari....NO.

Why do people Always want these guys---?

Used to be the same with Corey Maggette and Kevin Martin....Stop.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 03:53:45 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Gay/Noel/Rozier for Butler

Gay and Noel would be reasonably attainable?

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2016, 03:55:38 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Gay/Noel/Rozier for Butler

Gay and Noel would be reasonably attainable?

Wait, what?

Your plan is to trade for Gay and Noel for the purpose of trading for Butler?

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It's strange.  A couple years ago Gay was super overrated and everyone wanted him.  Now he's almost a tiny bit underrated and nobody seems to want him.   I don't want him either, but fwiw, he's less inefficient than people seem to think.

Coming off a season averaging 17.2 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.4 steals with 46%/34%/78% shooting.

But I mean.. the dude has only been to the playoffs once in his entire career.  He's been on one loser after another.  I don't know if he can fit into a winning team.

Last season he had .538 TS%, .500 eFG

For comparison, Avery Bradley had a .538 TS% and a .520 eFG.  And Gay's defensive reputation is pretty much the opposite of Bradley.

Everyone didn't want Gay because I have been solidly anti-Gay for a while, since he fits the profile of the type of player I hate the most, the no-defense inefficient volume scoring wing.  He's a guy who can score 20ppg, but you don't want him taking that large of a role in your offense, and he doesn't give you much outside of scoring, except for some rebounding.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2016, 04:07:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Gay scores a ton of points, but somehow these are the least impactful points I've seen from a player.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2016, 03:04:01 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
In three seasons as a King Rudy has averaged 19.5 PPG (on 46.5%/34%/83% shooting) to go with 6 rebounds and 2.8 assists.

He's on $13M a year, which is an absolute bargain in this salary cap scene. Even after guaranteeing Amir and Jonas, I believe we should still have the cap space to absorb that contract.

Rudy G is no superstar, but he's a 6'8" wing with a 7'3" wingspan and very impressive athleticism.  He can play three positions at a stretch (SG through to PF) and he can straight-out score. 

We are a team desperate for offence. 

We could play small with a Gay / Horford frontcourt. Or we could start Gay at SF and go with Crowder/Horford at PF. 

Or we could trade for Gay, re-sign Sully for one year, Start Gay/Sully and then bring Crowder off the bench as a super sub.  That would give us:

Thomas / Rozier / Jackson
Bradley / Smart / Rozier
Gay / Crowder / Brown
Sully / Olynyk / Jerebko
Horford / Johnson / Olynyk

Or we could start Gay and Crowder, bring Bradley off the bench.

It gives us a lot of options, and if we can trade for him without giving up a core player, it's hard to say no to that.  Of course this assumes that there are no start players available (e.g. Cousins) and we are settling for a backup option. 

I know not everybody will be a fan of the idea, but the man can play, he can handle the ball and he can score. 

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2016, 03:09:50 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Same can be said about Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis.  Same can be said about Kevin Love until he rode his way to a playoff series with Lebron and Co.  Most of the same could be said about Paul Pierce until he got Ray and KG along to help him.

Good players can play on bad teams, and good players can't immediately make bad teams good. 

I don't LOVE Rudy Gay as a player, but there is no denying that the man can score, and there's no denying that we need guys who can do that.  It was our lack of offense that killed us against Atlanta last year - nothing else.  The loss of Avery Bradley (and the scoring he brings) was enough to completely cripple our offense. Having a guy like Gay on the team gives us yet another offensive weapon to ensure that if one of our key guys goes down, we have other guys who can step in and fill the void.